Odd predicament in acquiring can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

onemorevictim

Odd predicament in acquiring can

Post by onemorevictim »

I am new to cans, only because ive lived in a silencer free state for awhile. My question is long winded, bare with me please.

So, i have re-enlisted in the Military recently and now live in a state that allows me to own a suppressor. But i am still a resident of my prior state (MN)
and to purchase weapons in the state im stationed in, i use my military orders in lieu of being a resident of a my new state (North Carolina)

My main question is: Does this work with suppressors aswell? Can i apply for an ATF approval in NC while my residence is MN? will i need my orders?
How could this complicate things? I suppose i am willing to change my residence in order to acquire a can...but i will jump through hoops if i have to.

Anyone have any insight on this? I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Odd predicament in acquiring can

Post by RPM509 »

Your home state has no bearing on any of this. Your current residence does. The state you live in may require special considerations
that may or may not require a copy of orders assigning you there. Call a local NFA dealer and talk with them, I am sure if you
are near Bragg or Lajuene (sp) the dealer has experienced this exact same situation many times and knows the proper procedure.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

onemorevictim wrote:I am new to cans, only because ive lived in a silencer free state for awhile. My question is long winded, bare with me please.

So, i have re-enlisted in the Military recently and now live in a state that allows me to own a suppressor. But i am still a resident of my prior state (MN)
and to purchase weapons in the state im stationed in, i use my military orders in lieu of being a resident of a my new state (North Carolina)

My main question is: Does this work with suppressors aswell? Can i apply for an ATF approval in NC while my residence is MN? will i need my orders?
How could this complicate things? I suppose i am willing to change my residence in order to acquire a can...but i will jump through hoops if i have to.

Anyone have any insight on this? I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.
For military purposes and income tax purposes ONLY your home of record is MN, and that stops there.

If you have PCS orders to NC then you are a NC resident for firearms purchases, and silencers are firearms.

Any SOT located near base will know how to get these approved, its not that much of a hassle over a normal NFA purchase.

I would highly recommend the use of a trust though, because if you are in Cumberland County(outside Bragg), you will not get a signoff.

Can't help you out in regards to Camp Lajeune though.
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

I live in NC, and can recommend ncsilencer.com for NFA stuff. They can set you up with a trust, or you can use a service like guntrustlawyer.com, which is what I did. A trust is essentially a requirement as unless it is a super rural western county and/or you know the sheriff or a deputy you will not get signoff.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

speed6 wrote:I live in NC, and can recommend ncsilencer.com for NFA stuff. They can set you up with a trust, or you can use a service like guntrustlawyer.com, which is what I did. A trust is essentially a requirement as unless it is a super rural western county and/or you know the sheriff or a deputy you will not get signoff.
Not sure where you are but most counties signoff.

Have customers all over the state that get signoffs all the time.

Cumberland County doesn't even sign for their own officers though.
onemorevictim

Post by onemorevictim »

Appreciate it boys, im gonna start taking notes from ncsilencer.com
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

I live in Wake county and we definitely can't get signoff. I would get a trust even if you can, it's more convenient once you get it done, lets you have multiple "owners" of NFA items, and lets you use e-forms for form 1.
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

NCSilencer is really high, I'd recommend Tarheel State Firearms or Start to Finish Consulting (Carolina Smoke and Guns now) or Perry's in Wendell. Your sheriff will sign off if your at lejeune, but they forward all requests to your command first and most people do not like that so they do the trust route. There is really no reason to not go the trust route. Tarheel State Firearms will email you one if you request it (use contact us on their website). Tarheel and Carolina Smoke will ship to your door if you request it (basically doing the 4473 by mail).
photoguy67

Post by photoguy67 »

Only issue I see is what are you going to do with the silencer when you are discharged? You will not be able to move back home with it.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

photoguy67 wrote:Only issue I see is what are you going to do with the silencer when you are discharged? You will not be able to move back home with it.
You do like everyone that owns toys heading back to prohibted/occupied lands.

Store it elsewhere.
DON'T move to occupied territory.
Sell it.
onemorevictim

Post by onemorevictim »

I do not plan on moving back to Minnesota after i get out, not gonna go back to a "fallen state"

Appreciate the insight.