Sub $1k lathe including shipping 8x16 with 5” chuck 1.5” pass thru

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Sub $1k lathe including shipping 8x16 with 5” chuck 1.5” pass thru

Post by Hard_ware » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Same here, stepped up from a 7x10 mini lathe. So no experience with other lathes.
I wanted the larger diameter pass thru didn’t need a longer lathe as suppressors and flashlights are what I plan to use it for.
NRA Life Member

SloppySutter

Post by SloppySutter » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:55 pm

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the delay in my post. There was a lot going on with the Lathe when I got it. the cover plate was damaged and the motor was, in fact, not brushless. While taking it apart, I shorted out something on the speed control board and I can't get the motor to spin anymore. It totally worked when I got it. I bought a new 4.7K POT, because I think that may be the culprit. The Tachometer display is ferged up as well. It doesn't show numbers anymore, so I've been trying to find a 5V DC Tach to replace it... no dice. Anyhow, here are some pics:

#40Fan
Senior Silent Operator

Post by #40Fan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Did you check the fuse on the back side just above the power cord?

SloppySutter

Post by SloppySutter » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:23 pm

I did, yeah. Fuse is good. I actually just rigged it up here at work with a new POT and something is seriously wrong here. I think it may be the forward/reverse switch, because I get voltage metering everywhere except to the motor terminals on the F/R switch. Also, the tach no longer displays numbers. Just a blank screen (the blue backlight still works though). I also dabbled a little with the MOSFETs, but that didn't change anything. Sucks. Looks like I'll have to get a another F/R switch...

SloppySutter

Post by SloppySutter » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:15 pm

So I said to hell with the original motor control system. I followed this guy's DC motor controller on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/3z3jLfe65yU

The list of all the parts he uses is in his description. The links are to the Australian Ebay site, so just copy the posting name and search for the exact same part on the USA Ebay site. Literally found every single identical part from a US shipper. Way faster...

Anyway, I'll take some pics once the parts come in and I wire everything up. While I wait for the parts to come, I'm going to buy one of those HF parts washing tanks and clean the piss out of the cross and compound slides. The gears and the ways could use some TLC as well.

alordnapa
Senior Silent Operator

Post by alordnapa » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:04 am

Will you use a treadmill motor like the OZ conversion?

#40Fan
Senior Silent Operator

Post by #40Fan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:07 pm

If you're swapping motors, let me know. I'd be interested in having a spare.

#40Fan
Senior Silent Operator

Post by #40Fan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:02 pm

Sum-bitch. Ask about having your motor if you're swapping them out and my front bearing in my motor started making noise today. I can probably blame it on myself since I tensioned the s--t out of the belt when I had one roll on me a while back. That and I'm sure it is a cheap bearing.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to take it apart and get a part number to order a new bearing some time soon.