“Solvent traps”

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

“Solvent traps”

Post by 9245 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:37 am

The idea of waiting 7 months to a year for some lazy fed to get around to finally doing 30 seconds of paperwork, of being deliberately made to wait a completely arbitrary and excessive period of time in general just for the sake of waiting, for no other reason than to make practicing a constitutional right as difficult as possible to discourage me from doing so fills me with a burning rage. Even if I were “patient” enough to wait (which I am not), every day that went by would compound my rage even more. Bottom line, I don’t want to go the form 4 route, I would rather do a form 1 and get it done in 30 days than a form 4 and have it take 300. In the same breath though, I am not a machinist, have only basic hand tools, am not that mechanically skilled, nor do I know enough about suppressor design to actually build one from scratch, I COULD however adapt something existing or use pre made parts, hence why the “solvent traps” look effective to me, drill a hole and instant suppressor. But how well do they actually work? Does the Chineseum mystery pot metal they are built with actually hold up? Anyone ever try it?

Would it actually be legal to possess one (undrilled) before an approved form 1 comes back, or would I have to wait to order one once the paperwork got approved? If not, how could I be sure of the measurements?

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Re: “Solvent traps”

Post by jlwilliams » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:34 pm

You will get s--t results from a "solvent trap" kit. Form 1 is great if you have a lathe and skills. Sucks if you don't.

Buy one and wait. You wait months then own it for decades.

1badbagger

Post by 1badbagger » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:25 pm

jlwilliams wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:34 pm
You will get s--t results from a "solvent trap" kit.
I ordered one but I'm wondering why you would say this? I ordered one made of titanium.

What db. difference do you think I will realistically see between the "solvent trap" kit I ordered and will finish myself and the YHM Phantom titanium I bought for nearly $1,000.00 some years ago?

a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 pm

It really depends on which solvent trap you order, concerning the quality of metal and how it's been worked. I had a friend of a friend bring me one which he intended to use on a 10/22, thing was 1" OD and 5.5" long and the end caps were neatly threaded, the rear face perpendicular to the shoulder on the barrel of his rifle so it lined up well. But the 'cups' inside were kind of sad. Obviously stamp formed with matching dies, they seemed to be stainless steel with a thin coat of fairly durable black paint and about 0.025" thick. They stacked neatly enough, and I guess so long as the guy doesn't use the hottest loads they'll hold up for a while, but beyond drilling them out and filing in tiny clips to help with distributing pressure flow there wasn't a lot I could do for him. It suppresses alright. Nothing brilliant, but usable without hearing protection. He's happy as it doesn't disturb the chickens on the farm where he does some bunny pesting. But I wouldn't recommend a kit like that.

I ordered a different one last year just out of idle curiosity. Dumb thing to do, as it never arrived and probably put me on page 872 of some massive watch list, something the RCMP can consult when they have an idle hour or two and need to bust a bad guy. That one was 7075 aluminum, 1.5" OD with 0.125" walls and 8 x 1.25" diameter K baffles to fit in the 9" OAL tube. Well not baffles, as they needed drilling to make them such, and porting to make them perform, but it seemed to me with the decent looking machine work and threaded end caps it might make a decent 'cleaning kit' for my 9mm carbine. Oh well, I've machined something else for that job, not a big deal. But if you could find something like that, you may well have the beginnings of a very decent suppressor. That one was from Singapore, but of course the eBay seller no longer exists. Maybe I got lucky and the container just washed overboard and some fishes have it to play with, not the boys in red serge.

alordnapa
Senior Silent Operator

Post by alordnapa » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:54 am

I think it is pretty evident that even an untrained monkey can make a serviceable, but perhaps not great, suppressor from a Solvent Trap ( They are not suppressor "kits" because that might demonstrate the intent to manufacture a suppressor, or worse, constructive possession, and that...would be naughty! ) Clearly, "Solvent Traps" range from Chinesium flavored abortions to Titanium works of art, and many a unit has been made by a hillbilly with a hand drill and a hacksaw. I suppose when the zombies are attacking and you build your own out of Maglights and Freeze plugs, the only really constructive and relevant criticism is whether it results in your brain being eaten. Really, when you start comparing professionally manufactured cans vs homebuilt cans as a class, are they all that different in performance? It's just a muffler, not a nuclear reactor.

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:25 pm

1badbagger wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:25 pm
jlwilliams wrote:
I ordered one but I'm wondering why you would say this? I ordered one made of titanium.

What db. difference do you think I will realistically see between the "solvent trap" kit I ordered and will finish myself and the YHM Phantom titanium I bought for nearly $1,000.00 some years ago?
Granted, there are a lot of options and some are better than others. I bought two and decided they weren't worth finishing. Your mileage may vary.

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:14 pm

I have several form 1 silencers built from solvent traps. Some of the baffles are works of art and are as good or better than anything you'll find in a commercial can. I finish mine with a lathe so the holes are bored true and I clip with a mill. Its all about how much effort you put into it. The Cerberus baffles and the PPA radial baffles or even the match grade customs or quell tech modular sections are like little man jewels. I'll put most of my cans against any commercial can any day of the week.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter

1badbagger

Post by 1badbagger » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:39 pm

jlwilliams wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:25 pm
1badbagger wrote:
jlwilliams wrote:

Granted, there are a lot of options and some are better than others. I bought two and decided they weren't worth finishing. Your mileage may vary.
I took YUGO's advice and bought the Solvent trap he recommended and has on order currently.

1badbagger

Post by 1badbagger » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:41 pm

jlwilliams wrote:
1badbagger wrote:
jlwilliams wrote:

Feel free to post up the 2 you bought that weren't worth finishing and save someone else the headache.

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:01 pm

1badbagger wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:41 pm
jlwilliams wrote:
1badbagger wrote:

Feel free to post up the 2 you bought that weren't worth finishing and save someone else the headache.

I'll post pics when I dig them out. They are among a bunch of stuff that's in a storage unit. I tried to dig them out when I heard rumor that people were getting contacted by The Man over them. Not sure if it's true but figured I should have them if I'm asked. Anyway, they weren't in the box I thought I put them in.

I'll take another look.

Eta, maybe I should look into the ones Yugo had good luck with.

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Heres the ones I really like. The 60 degree Cerberus wavelocks. They lock together and its impossible for them to rotate once compressed, The clips will always align if you do your job of clipping them correctly . Ti and SS baffles. Heres the rub. Cerberus is going out of business and the stock they have left is all they have left.

https://www.cerberusmfg.com/product-pag ... wheel-pack
Putting the laughter in manslaughter