308 Suppressor design - Subsonic vs. Supersonic

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MMH
Senior Silent Operator

308 Suppressor design - Subsonic vs. Supersonic

Post by MMH »

Would a suppressor designed specifically for subsonic loads be different than one designed for full power supersonic? How quiet is possible for a subsonic. I know not to expect hollywood quiet, but what is reasonable?
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Re: 308 Suppressor design - Subsonic vs. Supersonic

Post by Enfield577 »

I would suggest yes

I have made a few cans for sub sonic 22, 32 and 9mm. I have made K baffles for these and they are Hollywood quiet (search my old posts)

Ks however don't work so good on high velocity
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
govtcontact

Post by govtcontact »

Sorry for jumping in for my first post.

Some time ago I ran across US Patent #3,478,874 (Nov, 1969) titled "Silencer For Firearms Discharging Gasses At Supersonic Velocity".

The beauty is in the super-simple design...Just two surfaces to reflect the sound waves out of phase.
Scared_of_zombies
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scared_of_zombies »

Assuming a fixed volume, yes. K's are much better for lower pressure's (Subs only) while 60 degree cones will be MUCH more optimal for the higher pressures and volume of gas from using a full power .308.
DanielWilson
Silent Operator

Post by DanielWilson »

Many of the commercial cans are reported to reduce the sound by 24-32 decibels. That's about the same reduction rating of a pair of ear muffs.

I got to shoot a .308 with a commercial can a few days ago. It was much quieter with the can than without. I took one shot with an ear plug out. It was a little uncomfortable, but not painful like it would be unsuppressed.

Our shooting was with supersonic ammo. My load was 165 grains ... believed to be about 2700 fps. We didn't have any subsonic with us that day.
MMH
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MMH »

What is the approximate angle on the K's?
Scared_of_zombies wrote:Assuming a fixed volume, yes. K's are much better for lower pressure's (Subs only) while 60 degree cones will be MUCH more optimal for the higher pressures and volume of gas from using a full power .308.