Threading barrels....

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Re: Threading barrels....

Post by RWBlue »

kapkanimd wrote:thanks guys for all the replies and advice.. I saw the 'lathe' today, and it is not at all what I expected and no good for threading barrels.. I either need to keep searching for another local place that will do it or look more into using a die.. If I were to use a die, aren't their alignment tools that go down the barrel to assist with alignment?
You still need to turn down the barrel.
How do you plan on doing this?

I have the same issue. I would love to thread some of my 22LR rifles.
ACKF
Silent Operator

Post by ACKF »

We thread barrels in our shop however regardless of others results I would not use a die for this. I assume you want it threaded for the use of a can. I suggest a lathe for both turning the barrel and threading. One can't be too precise when a can is being attached.
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

If I had a lathe I would definitely be using it. similarly if I had someone local or even by mail that would be able to do it within a reasonable price and time frame I would. however, my search has gotten me no where. I am still working out my plans, but I think I am going to give this a shot.
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
ACKF
Silent Operator

Post by ACKF »

You are in Tampa, we are in Deland. Not too far away. sent you a PM.
stengun
Silent But Deadly

Post by stengun »

Howdy,
Capt. Link. wrote:

When being bad was so good

Who can name this gal: Her movies are known world wide.

Jane Russell. The pic is from the movie "The Outlaw"

Best line from the movie was when the old gunfighter told the kid "Cattle don't graze where sheep have been."

Paul
"The number of people that I've killed is not important. What is important is how I get along with the ones that are still alive."

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Who was Babe number two.
I bet every guy here has seen her films.Her .Most of her films with Johann
the star had full nude shots of her until the studios added more to her costumes.
This is a great picture of her. Her screen name J.P. was only referred to
as Johann preferred her first name only.Johann was a gold metal Olympic swimmer, quite a
swinger for those pre Hayes days..Here is one of her in later life with her daughter and one of her before she passed away.
ImageImage
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Maureen O'Sullivan? Guys used to go APE when
they saw her in Tarzan Movies. :)
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

I guess this thread has gone off track... thanks guys
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Sir all of your questions were answered long-long ago.
Number one choice is have a person that has the skills to do this job.Single point cutting is preferred .
Skilled hands required.Seams like I even saw an offer in your state.

*******Other than that just having fun******

Don't slip up Historian!
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Historian wrote:Excuse my ignorance but if you have a lathe to turn down the barrel why would you not
use the lathe to accurately cut the thread instead of using a die.
When I have used a die to perform simple threading I placed the die into a tail stock die
holder and used the tail stock to keep things lined up.
And thats how it should be done, via the tail stock holding things in line while the die does some quick and easy work for ya.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Homer
Silent Operator

Post by Homer »

G'Day Fella's,

Just a couple of things about lathes etc.

Not all lathes are capable of cutting a thread.
It's not just a matter of sticking the barrel in the lathe, and machining and thread cutting. You have to set the barrel up to get the bore axis running true and not just at the muzzle!

There are several ways of achieving this, and I'm sure there are various You Tube video's available for this.
In most instances, I like to re-crown the muzzle at the same time, so I usually run the barrel thru the head stock of the lathe and get it running true at both ends, before I start removing metal.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

Let me put in a good word for Gary at GKCustoms in Colorado Springs. He just did two Contender barrels for me, and I snapped a couple shots after he was done with my .357 threading. He was in seventh heaven when I supplied him with Silencerco’s and Libertycan’s thread specs because it allowed him to thread them exactly to spec. He’s been seeing a huge uptick in threading requests as of late, for some reason!

Forgive me because I’m no machinist, but he used a reference bar to align his lathe, then used two spuds, the muzzle end goes in the bore about 1.5” and rests on the lands, the chamber end does the same - he does NOT index on the chamber but rather the lands beyond the chamber. He has assembled quite an array of spuds lately for doing this kind of work.

My mystic is still in jail, but I have shot the Sparrow on the Contender and the O-ring and mating surface keeps the threads absolutely clean!

He has no web page yet, but if anyone is interested, contact: [email protected]. Gary used to build full house IPSC race guns back in the 90s and compensators have much higher alignment tolerances than suppressors, so the fact that my threading turned out so well didn’t surprise me.

Anyone looking for threading might want to give him whirl. Very friendly, great guy too.

Note in the picture of the muzzle end you can see a “defect” in the threads - this is where one of the front sight mounting holes was, and I told Gary to just leave it be because it wouldn’t affect the Mystic’s mounting whatsoever.

O2

When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

O2HeN2, may I compliment you on your 'moniker' -- it is a real gas.
It will certainly get a rise out of one.
[Could weak I resist? ] :) :)

Thank you for showing your friend Gary's set up using two hardened
centers with his clever brass alignment rounds and his lathe dog
set up. He demonstrates concern and care in using brass alignment.

Indeed if one cannot place the barrel in a special jig then this is
a most satisfying solution.

Best.