new project im considering... Sten Mk III semi-auto integral

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MG_Willy
Silent Operator

new project im considering... Sten Mk III semi-auto integral

Post by MG_Willy »

I have had this semi auto kit for some ten years ish.. its mostly complete but I just havent had time to finish it... but as I broke it out the other day I am considering a form 1 build for the gun. I could SRB it one stamp for it then one stamp for a suppressor for it. But i was thinking... I have the 16 inch barrel for it.. fully shroud it then no SBR stamp.. but take the barrel and open up holes like I have seen with other integral builds and then have a nice rifle that should be nice and quite... thats a lot of space for baffles an such... Has anyone done anything like this? or have any detail on wher to start? (Please do not say fill out the form 1...that is obvious lol)

Thanks

MG Willy
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: new project im considering... Sten Mk III semi-auto inte

Post by Capt. Link. »

MG_Willy wrote:I have had this semi auto kit for some ten years ish.. its mostly complete but I just havent had time to finish it... but as I broke it out the other day I am considering a form 1 build for the gun. I could SRB it one stamp for it then one stamp for a suppressor for it. But i was thinking... I have the 16 inch barrel for it.. fully shroud it then no SBR stamp.. but take the barrel and open up holes like I have seen with other integral builds and then have a nice rifle that should be nice and quite... thats a lot of space for baffles an such... Has anyone done anything like this? or have any detail on wher to start? (Please do not say fill out the form 1...that is obvious lol)

Thanks

MG Willy
I would do a one stamp with a integral suppressor.Cut the barrel short and fill the tube with K baffles.Port the barrel for velocity reduction or not.The ported barrel alone would yield little suppression and changing mesh washers is a no no today.Nice to see you again.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

WellI still have the original 8" barrel as well I could use that and begin the blast chamber there and K baffle it out to 16 with an end cap. humm lot less work :) for sure... My tube is finished off. I need to mount in the caps for the barrel weld in the mag well and the trigger housing so I have work I can do while waiting on the form 1 to come back. lol I definitely need to brush up my welding skills before welding on this guy.. I did a little the other day.. it was horrible... ground it to a fair finish lol... :)

Thanks Capt.. family issues abound :( but I believe things getting back to some semblance to normalcy... :)

Capt. Link. wrote:
MG_Willy wrote:I have had this semi auto kit for some ten years ish.. its mostly complete but I just havent had time to finish it... but as I broke it out the other day I am considering a form 1 build for the gun. I could SRB it one stamp for it then one stamp for a suppressor for it. But i was thinking... I have the 16 inch barrel for it.. fully shroud it then no SBR stamp.. but take the barrel and open up holes like I have seen with other integral builds and then have a nice rifle that should be nice and quite... thats a lot of space for baffles an such... Has anyone done anything like this? or have any detail on wher to start? (Please do not say fill out the form 1...that is obvious lol)

Thanks

MG Willy
I would do a one stamp with a integral suppressor.Cut the barrel short and fill the tube with K baffles.Port the barrel for velocity reduction or not.The ported barrel alone would yield little suppression and changing mesh washers is a no no today.Nice to see you again.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Hi
I did just what you are talking about a while back and I am told by the guy that it works very well with sub-sonic ammo (you just need to get the load right to keep subsonic but make it cycle.

He gave me a stainless tube welded to a spare barrel nut. I kept the original barrel length but filled with Ks.

Note the fitting that goes on the muzzle but still allows gas to get to the rear

Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

Very nice.. but thats a Mk II... but same concept..but all will be internal and it will be suppresses all the time.

I like what you did there for sure...
Enfield577 wrote:Hi
I did just what you are talking about a while back and I am told by the guy that it works very well with sub-sonic ammo (you just need to get the load right to keep subsonic but make it cycle.

He gave me a stainless tube welded to a spare barrel nut. I kept the original barrel length but filled with Ks.

Note the fitting that goes on the muzzle but still allows gas to get to the rear

MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

the tube I have is similar to the one indianapolis ordnance sells on their site. I have done the machine work so far..
What I plan on is to start the clast chamber insite this tube.. there will be an extended tube on the outside that matches up with the OD of the tube the first baffle like so ] wil extend form this tube slightly for mounting the "suppressor" tube and welded into place ground flat to appear seamless.. with the rest of the baffles inside there.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Another winning thread!
ACKF
Silent Operator

Post by ACKF »

Research the sten MK VI. It is basically a suppressed MK V. I did a clone of it in semi auto and it turned out pretty nice.
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

How did you deal with the bolt and fire control? Striker fired? IO kit? SAS kit? Thinking about doing the exact same thing to my MKIII but would rather drop the $$ on a stamp instead of a sa covnersion kit.
MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

To be honest I forget who I got the semi kit from it was like 12 years ago and I havent finished it up yet lol... but getting close... IIRC it was the company out of Fl... striker fired uses an ar-15 firing pin. smaller diamater bolt tube etc. Regardless of the stamp you still have to go with one of the SA kits.. as you cant use the same bolt original size tube etc.. none of the open bolt parts are used. even the charging handle had to be cut down... (that was fun..... not...) I just was thinking.. to SBR it so I dont have ot have that 16inch barrel then I thought.. humm have to pay a stamp anyway.. so why not let it be for a suppressor... and the very cool all around :)

flip wrote:How did you deal with the bolt and fire control? Striker fired? IO kit? SAS kit? Thinking about doing the exact same thing to my MKIII but would rather drop the $$ on a stamp instead of a sa covnersion kit.
ACKF
Silent Operator

Post by ACKF »

flip wrote:How did you deal with the bolt and fire control? Striker fired? IO kit? SAS kit? Thinking about doing the exact same thing to my MKIII but would rather drop the $$ on a stamp instead of a sa covnersion kit.
I used an AR 15 FCG so hammer fired. I used the original bolt and with an AR15 firing pin after drilling. http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php Follow the link, sign up and look at the sten build tutorials. There are striker fired and hammer fired versions with lots of pics. It will be a short but fun build.
MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

Be careful using the original diamater bolt... if the tube is original size it could be considered "readily convertible" and put you in a lot of hot water.

ACKF wrote:
I used an AR 15 FCG so hammer fired. I used the original bolt and with an AR15 firing pin after drilling. http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php Follow the link, sign up and look at the sten build tutorials. There are striker fired and hammer fired versions with lots of pics. It will be a short but fun build.