It's Getting serious...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

It's Getting serious...

Post by Dr.K »

After sitting on an unused form for several years i finally got a good lathe, built a good can, now here i am 4 months later, and I've got 5 forms pending, 2 filled out on my desk, just bought some carmex tooling for the lathe.

Ive been gathering up materials like crazy. Seems at this point i could open a concession stand for tubing and round bar, ha ha.

Oh, and I've been practicing all kinds of silencer making skills, such as thread calculations, feeds/speeds on different metals, making powder funnels, doing all kinds of barrel threading and crowning. Tell you what, whenever these forms come back this summer im gonna have me a silencer making bonanza!

And i find myself hanging out on these boards more and more each day.
Kyle O.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Re: It's Getting serious...

Post by daviscustom »

You're sunk! Welcome to the loony bin...if you are hoping someone here will talk some sense into you, you are SOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spend much time watching for the mail man?
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Welcome to the club!

I've noticed a lot of guys who buy machinery thinking all they'll do is make silencers, and then they find out just how rewarding, fun it is, to craft in metal. Machine tools allow the gun enthusiast almost unlimited freedom, and there are obviously hobbies and uses outside of firearms as well.

Some stuff I've made over the years...

Your machine tools and tooling will be a place where you'll sink some $$ but get it all back in years of enjoyment. It's also a good way to get an FFL if you are zoned appropriately. There's a huge demand for gunsmithing work.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

daviscustom wrote:You're sunk! Welcome to the loony bin...if you are hoping someone here will talk some sense into you, you are SOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spend much time watching for the mail man?
+2

Ah, poor Dr.K. he shall soon be getting an invitation to Tool-Junkies-Anonymous.

" My name is ----, I am a lathe and tool junky."
Frantic calls will be made to present members, imploring
"Please, stop me before I write another check for a shiny ----,
and that --- in the latest tool catalog. My understanding
wife, family, pets are at their wits end". :) :)

Warning: minor difference from other "--- Anonymous" groups,
you will be encouraged to proceed but to consider a better/more expensive/added
instrument so that you will not get depressed and victimized by being cheap.
[ Dare anyone on this site to contradict me. :) ]
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I've been mainlining tools for years and have the scars to prove it.Red hot chips make a sizzling sound as they burn into the flesh and partial deafness has come from low level machinery noise that I like to mask with Acid Rock & Roll.I twitch and a glaze comes over me when old iron is whispered and hope my smuggling operations are not discovered by my wife.I think shes becoming suspicious when she tripped over my heat treat oven and the purchase of a two ton cherry picker but for now I have it under control after all the basement bathroom still has some space left and I have convinced her that every man smells like cutting oil.
Want some cobalt tool bits the first one is free........and they say crack is addictive :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Please don't misunderstand, im not reaching out for help. Im happily addicted. My life is better when there is a brown box moving towards me from somewhere. I tell myself that my wife likes the smell of cutting fluid ;)
Kyle O.
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

Baffled,

You Rat Bastard! :lol: ... INCREDIBLE work. That radial engine is magnificent.
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

Oh, this is ridiculous... I keep going back to stare at the radial. THIS ISN'T FAIR! I need to be making product = money, and, you've got me thinking about 1/3 of a Ford Trimotor... What scale is that anyway? DOH! Don't tell me.

Bill
windchaser

Post by windchaser »

Your jug motor is amazing. How long did it take you to build?
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

mollinst wrote:Oh, this is ridiculous... I keep going back to stare at the radial. THIS ISN'T FAIR! I need to be making product = money, and, you've got me thinking about 1/3 of a Ford Trimotor... What scale is that anyway? DOH! Don't tell me.

Bill
Tick, tock, tick, tock.......follow the imaginary swinging metronome using only your mind... :shock: .... tick, tock, tick, tock.....you are getting sleepy... :shock: ...tick, tock, tick, tock.....you are now sound asleep and when you wake up, nothing will be as interesting as building guns and silencers....nothing will be as exciting and rewarding as designing and building guns and silencers......SNAP OUT OF IT!

Put away all your back issues of Home Shop Machinist.......Gotta keep your addiction focused in the right direction. :D

Did on line hypnosis work?
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

"Did on line hypnosis work?"

Yeah... I... I... I think so. Yeah, yeah I'm gonna' be OK. Thanks. :?

Bill
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

mollinst wrote:"Did on line hypnosis work?"

Yeah... I... I... I think so. Yeah, yeah I'm gonna' be OK. Thanks. :?

Bill
I could tell you were on the verge of a breakdown and something had to be done...glad to be of service.

Shame on you baffled....flaunting your talent and vast quantities of free time!
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

:lol: Once set up with machine tools, unfortunately, your neighbors will soon learn, and they'll come by with stuff like a lawnmower bearing, a wheel barrow shaft, and want you to help them. I'm usually glad to do so, but some times they don't understand the level of work involved. It always looks so simple on their paper sketch.

Then, they want to watch while you do it. That drives me nuts, because I know in my mind, the job is going to take a couple of hours, and it'd be a waste of their time to stand there twiddling their thumbs. And they don't want to leave, because then THEY feel bad about dropping work in your lap.

One of the surest ways to make machining LESS fun is to turn it into a business. It's damned tempting, because there is $$ to be made, but when you work on someone else's stuff, the fun drains away rapidly. :(