Fuel filter suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

the45

Fuel filter suppressor

Post by the45 »

Hey guys so I know people have used oil filters in the past as make shift suppressors... But i was wondering if one was to get a Form 1 if it would be possible to make a suppressor out of a Fuel filter? Has anyone seen one? Images if found online make me think it would be perfect if you could find an adaptor to fit the threading. What are your guys thoughts? Here is some pictures of what im talking about Image

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Fuel filter suppressor

Post by Bendersquint »

the45 wrote:Hey guys so I know people have used oil filters in the past as make shift suppressors... But i was wondering if one was to get a Form 1 if it would be possible to make a suppressor out of a Fuel filter? Has anyone seen one? Images if found online make me think it would be perfect if you could find an adaptor to fit the threading. What are your guys thoughts? Here is some pictures of what im talking about Image

Sure you can do that but only a 07/02 manufacturer can replace it when it wears out. Makes it a fun project for a manufacturer but highly impractical for the civilian owner.
JohnK454

Post by JohnK454 »

I just knew this was where we were headed with the National Pipe Thread (NPT) thread.
warjunky1428
Silent But Deadly

Post by warjunky1428 »

I'm wondering how much blast abuse the filter material could take before it starts destroying itself from the muzzle to the end cap. Maybe for a pistol cartridge or .22lr, but I don't see that lasting long at all for a 5.56 even with a 16+" barrel.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942
the45

Post by the45 »

this would be for a 22lr... also I know that they sell SS filters rather then paper ones....

Why I'm really interested in this is for the tube itself. While I know its not as strong (6061 aluminum) I just think it would look bad ass to have the appearance that its just a fuel filter. I like the ghetto look :twisted: and think it would be a cool conversation starter... I would probably design my own core for the tube.... I guess my question really is just about how I could get the tube to attach to my 22lr which is threaded in 1/2-28 without changing the over all look
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

the45 wrote:this would be for a 22lr... also I know that they sell SS filters rather then paper ones....

Why I'm really interested in this is for the tube itself. While I know its not as strong (6061 aluminum) I just think it would look bad ass to have the appearance that its just a fuel filter. I like the ghetto look :twisted: and think it would be a cool conversation starter... I would probably design my own core for the tube.... I guess my question really is just about how I could get the tube to attach to my 22lr which is threaded in 1/2-28 without changing the over all look

Why don't you make one that will look like one but be a proper silencer tube?
the45

Post by the45 »

Bendersquint that would be an option however If I can buy one for 30 bucks that already has end caps and the tube and is already made to look like one (because it is) that seems like a pretty good deal to me. Painting it to resemble a fuel filter I doubt Ill be able to get the logos to really look right and the end caps I would have to custom make which seems like a lot more work as well. Also I like that this has threaded end caps on both sides incase one side got filled with gunk. It gives me a better chance of being able to get it open and clean the tube.

Perhaps I could make an inner sleeve that fit into the outer tube as a way of getting the best of both worlds but I still would have to come up with a way to get the threads to match up.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Mr.B's sage observation: " ..Sure you can do that but only a 07/02 manufacturer
can replace it when it wears out. Makes it a fun project for a manufacturer
but highly impractical for the civilian owner."

I do suspect that an individual who will use such a rig for other than its intended
purpose, though intriguingly compelling, might rationalize that the innards
" never need replacing as they have no serial numbers ... until Diane Feinstein
gets her sweaty cow udders on it
... and all replacement pieces look alike in the dark;
much like lying contemptible liberal killers-of-the-Second-Amendment. :) :)

[ Could I really resist?]
Last edited by Historian on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

This ain't the ghetto Skippy.

Since it seems pretty obvious that you have little intention of doing anything legally, much less build anything, just look for adapters and be done with it. Know this however, if anyone in LE catches you with this thing, "No, it's just a fuel filter", won't work. Just remember the phrase. "Will the Defendant please rise".

You'll end up at the nearest Federal bunk house as the Majorette of the pooter parade.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

mollinst wrote:This ain't the ghetto Skippy.

Since it seems pretty obvious that you have little intention of doing anything legally, much less build anything, just look for adapters and be done with it. Know this however, if anyone in LE catches you with this thing, "No, it's just a fuel filter", won't work. Just remember the phrase. "Will the Defendant please rise".

You'll end up at the nearest Federal bunk house as the Majorette of the pooter parade.
Wise, cleverly hilarious and vivid, very possible, scenario from an experienced and caring real world SOT.

Again a quotation from Jackie Brown, the soon to be arrested by the
ATF illegal gun runner in "The Friends of Eddie Coyle":

"This life's HARD man, but it's HARDER if you're stupid! ".

Words to really live by.

Ref: << http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070077/quotes >>
mooface

Post by mooface »

I admit I had a soft spot for oil can suppressors.... until I found that they are effectively unserviceable by the end user which negates all the financial benefits.
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

Well, Bender is right in that once you've screwed the adapter to the filter, it is no longer legally considered an oil filter but, a silencer component. And to the letter of the law, can only be serviced by an 07/02, however, with full knowledge that the adapters are readily available, taxable, in the marketplace, and have a short working life, I seriously doubt that NFA has the time or inclination to form a task force to start tracking oil filter purchases, nor would they want to know who put the Fram on your adapter when you had a Pennzoil on there to begin with.

Bill

Edit: Still, this is taking the cheap & easy way out. I kind of like to think of this place as a think tank, of sorts, for folks who are serious about learning the physics and practical working methods behind legal firearms suppressors, not a venue for figuring out how to skirt the law, or look cool. But then, I'm a curmudgeonly old bastard.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

mollinst wrote:Well, Bender is right in that once you've screwed the adapter to the filter, it is no longer legally considered an oil filter but, a silencer component. And to the letter of the law, can only be serviced by an 07/02, however, with full knowledge that the adapters are readily available, taxable, in the marketplace, and have a short working life, I seriously doubt that NFA has the time or inclination to form a task force to start tracking oil filter purchases, nor would they want to know who put the Fram on your adapter when you had a Pennzoil on there to begin with.

Bill

Edit: Still, this is taking the cheap & easy way out. I kind of like to think of this place as a think tank, of sorts, for folks who are serious about learning the physics and practical working methods behind legal firearms suppressors, not a venue for figuring out how to skirt the law, or look cool. But then, I'm a curmudgeonly old bastard [C.O.B.].
Au contraire. You are, as the old compliment in Southie in the 1940's stated,
you are Aces. If having integrity, honor, and respect for the law qualifies one
by age then please accept my application to your C.O.B club. :)
the45

Post by the45 »

Okay guys you all keep saying that this would be illegal to do and I don't believe it would be. What i'm saying is I would obtain a form 1 to build my own suppressor and then once that was in hand I would go and buy this fuel filter. Next I would gut the filter and only use the end caps and tube. I would then create my own custom baffles (ones that would not wear out quicker then any other baffles of similar design) and fit them into the tube. What would be illegal about this? I understand that once it was made I would not be able to make new baffles or change any of the parts and I have no intention of doing so...

Really this idea is no different then those threads here on people who have used maglites to turn into suppressors and yet no one has every accused them of trying to break the law. The reality is that something like this would not be worth even the slightest risk of trying to make illegally. Yet for the same reasons why others think a flashlight suppressor is a cool idea I like this design. I do have access to a lathe however I don't own one and it will require me to either pay for the shop time or become a burden on others. I simply started this thread so see if anyone had any ideas on the easiest way to attach this tube to a 1/2-28 size thread and to see if others have heard of it being done in the past.
mooface

Post by mooface »

2 things here...

1) I was under the impression CGW marked the oil filter when they installed it on your adapter, so switching out filters personally would also involve forging the marks/numbers/whatever, which is a recipe for getting a 10 year lease on a 6' x 8' room complete with a new boyfriend named Bubba. Per CGW: "The Econo Can Suppressor comes as a complete unit with the oil filter attached, serial numbered and registered with ATF/NFA." Since the filters last a coon's age in rimfire it seems a big risk to take to save $25 (the cost of refiltering)

2) When folks are saying it is illegal to service it they are referring to the Cadiz Gun Works adapter that uses an oil filter as both the outer can AND interior, not merely sourcing an outer can from a fuel filter, which would indeed be like the mag-light suppressors wherein the repurposed part (flashlight body/filter housing) would then become a permanent portion of the suppressor and one would hope would never have to be serviced. In this case if you did kaboom your suppressor and ruined the flashlight/filter housing you would need to send it to the appropriate facility to have it repaired.
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

Forgive me if I've misjudged the situation, and your intentions but, you wrote things like - "...If I can buy one for 30 bucks that already has end caps and the tube and is already made to look like...", "...and the end caps I would have to custom make which seems like a lot more work as well.", and " I like the ghetto look :twisted: and think it would be a cool conversation starter...".

One can easily infer that a), $30 is doable but, that may mean that $200 for a stamp isn't, b), making end caps is more work than you want to get involved in, and, c), you like the "ghetto" look and that it would be a good conversation starter...(?) What, are you going to pull it out at a bar to impress chicks?

There was, in fact, no mention of your applying for a stamp until this last post of yours, so, hopefully, you can see how I may have completely misunderstood where you were going with this.

Bill
pnl2012
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pnl2012 »

Yes, there was intention by OP to mention the Form 1 act. In fact, in the very first post: Just stop looking at “sexy” Pics and focus on reading the whole text:

“… But i was wondering if one was to get a Form 1 if it would be possible to make a suppressor …”

My Mother tongue is not English but looks very clear to me. It’s a common practice (like it’s been in the past) to flame and s--t before reading, understanding and elaborating. Look at the Middle Ages in Europe, for instance …

BTW, this Tube & Caps look like a very good candidate to stack some Valve Spring Retainers & Spacers. What’s the ID for the Tube ?
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

Well, it hasn't been a common practice for me to flame and s--t before reading but, I stand corrected, and all have my most sincere apologies.

Bill
the45

Post by the45 »

pnl2012 wrote:

BTW, this Tube & Caps look like a very good candidate to stack some Valve Spring Retainers & Spacers. What’s the ID for the Tube ?
Im not exactly sure on the WIX filter but i found this Image

Bill, no worries I understand where you are coming from

Overall I guess the problem with the caps would be the threads. Perhaps I could weld a nut to a nipple...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

the45 wrote:
pnl2012 wrote:

Im not exactly sure on the WIX filter but i found this Image

Bill, no worries I understand where you are coming from

Overall I guess the problem with the caps would be the threads. Perhaps I could weld a nut to a nipple...
Why not just replace the endcaps with appropriate ones in the threading you are seeking?

Alot better than welding.
rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Post by rqlasl »

You could also fill the existing threaded hole with a bolt of the same material. Tig it in and face it off and tap the required thread in the plug. It would already be in the lathe and centerline would good. Same treatment for the cap. Tig a plug in, face it and drill your exit hole........KISS Principle
Michael Opitz

Post by Michael Opitz »

Thread adapter using any disposable oil filter as a silencer legally.
3/4 way down the page- the econo can.

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/Class_III.html
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Michael Opitz wrote:Thread adapter using any disposable oil filter as a silencer legally.

This has been discussed many time on here.

The oil filter does not qualify as a wipe and can not be replaced by an individual only an 07/02 can replace it legally.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Bendersquint wrote:
Michael Opitz wrote:Thread adapter using any disposable oil filter as a silencer legally.

The oil filter does not qualify as a wipe and can not be replaced by an individual only an 07/02 can replace it legally.
Another Bingo for the Bender :mrgreen:
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

redtazdog wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Another Bingo for the Bender :mrgreen:
Has the time arrived for a SOT "Express Oil Change Franchise Opportunities" ?

"Hand me a 5W - 30 Fram filter and two ounces of anti-seize..." :)