Wanna K Baffle but aint got a lathe?? NO PROBLEM!!

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mollinst
Industry Professional

Re: Wanna K Baffle but aint got a lathe?? NO PROBLEM!!

Post by mollinst »

"So go ahead bash that's what you truly wanted NO matter what I put on here you were waiting to cut it down so start choppin"."

M40,

I believe most peoples' point here is that you started the bashing, and then continued it mercilessly until the Op simply left. A mistaken flame or bash happens occasionally - I was guilty of it last week in a post to Dr.K - I misread a couple of lines, and drew a wrong conclusion, leading me to post something I wished I hadn't. I apologized the moment it was brought to my attention and then... Shut up.

No one particularly disagrees with the crux of your statements, only your dispassionate delivery.

I like to think of this forum as a place where numerous minds of the same bent can come together to share experiences and learn, all the while acting like gentlemen. It is up to those who are experienced, authoritative, and successful in this endeavor to take the less initiated by the hand and lead them to the correct path, not beat them over the head with their mistakes, poor workmanship, designs, etc. That's completely non-productive, and, ungentlemanly.

You asked, in an earlier post, what I was going to write - not just write that it was a waste of time to write. Well, the above is essentially what I was going to say. I was going to try a more compassionate approach toward you, hoping you could stand back and look at this whole thing through a different set of eyes.

I sincerely hope it wasn't a waste of time.

Bill
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

Pitbull Kustomz, can you put the pictures back up? Ignore the ass hat.

Congrats on finishing your first build! Mine is likely a few years out :(
SER

Post by SER »

M40,
I made ingot molds like that in high school without the aid of a computer. I cant believe all the flames on this post.

To the OP, please re-host the pics. Any design that works is a success. There may come a time in the not too far off and distant future when all suppressors will have to be made by your method.
Never mistake my silence for submission
GLADIO

Post by GLADIO »

yes, please, can we haz pics?
'Round here, we use to make loud stuff. Loud cars, loud motorbikes, loud opera music.
Time to take a break.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

M40, it's very simple. You acted like an ass, and when confronted with that you went into defensive mode rather than apologize, making you an even bigger ass. Stop digging that hole deeper, realize you were in the wrong her, apologize and move on.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

The pic I posted was kinda in sarcasm I understand it was nothing of importance , mention or skill .

As I have read your posts I will admit that yes I attacked this supreesor with anger . Due the dangers that I felt existed . I can speak my mind as I wish and can be an ass. I mostly am trying to understand why I attacked this so hard. It the same reason I attacked the hello kitty crap I saw on here. Once the public sees that someone dose what he does then it a matter of time peploe will assume this is ok. I have been around 3 home builds lately not by choice and 2 left a permant mark on its builder these were people that all thought you could just build one and it was ok . As I was at the range I didn't even notice untill I saw blood. I was not with the party involved. And the one guy said he found out to make them on line. Obviously didn't read to close. So I expected better content here as a supressor enthusiast.

As I said to OP put the pics back up. I won't say a word. But you are all acting as if I made some one go run and hide and you think that's not fair. Well again this is a open forum and I have seen way worse on here and the OP has to understand I can say whatever but if it effects him that bad Maby public forms are not a good idea. I'm one person I'm sure there we others that were outraged as I was they just dint speak . But this is just the Internet it effects me very little in my actual life. You act as if I physically beat the guy.as I said ban me if you think I'm that bad.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

I understand M40A1308M's passion, especially when there is a possibility of
major injury to a new member. Much like an older bother who boots his
kid brother who was about to light a match around a propane tank.
Years later the kid puts the castigation in perspective and among other
things still affectionately calls his brother an unmentionable name as
he hugs him, thanking him for the save.

In the final analysis, most of us here are mature ( well, I try to be most of the time ) experienced
repositories of arcane knowledge that we happily share, pass on, and learn about
each day from our whispering Kameradin. Shhhhh! :)
pnl2012
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pnl2012 »

OK, we all make mistakes. Interacting in Forums is tough since personal emotions (hidden behind the Screen) are directly injected into your “post-replay” click button. My Father used to say “better say sorry than say please (or ask for permission)” but I found out later on that this will take you to “no please and no sorry” anymore. I know it for personal experience, in both, real and virtual life. For me you Merlin and Pitbull are great Guys and I do fully forgive you. God bless you both. BTW, nice K’s, weren’t they ?, I’ve got the Pics, is it fine to Post not being the owner ? :shock:
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

mollinst wrote:"I can be me as I am with no validity at all."

And that's the first step. Admitting that you have no validity at all. Humility will get easier, just keep going to the meetings.
So. Fekking. Funny.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
mooface

Post by mooface »

M40A1308M wrote:Oh yes I have an anger issue when it comes to posters doing dumb s--t that will get them aressted or killed or kill someone else!
Are you seriously suggesting that a roughly made .22 suppressor is going to malfunction in such a way as to cause fatal injury?

Maybe on TV, but in real life?

Decades ago I worked for a manufacturer who did a lot of testing into cheap suppressors and I have spent some time working with eastern european soldiers and manufacturers. As a result I have seen dozens of suppressors blow their contents out the front, many that have ruptured their casings and more than a few where the entire suppressor was launched downrange.

In my experience the chances that a rimfire, or even pistol caliber suppressor, will malfunction with lethal force is extremely unlikely.

And as to illegal..... Strong accusations require strong evidence.

The fact is (and it is depressing that I have to point this out) that this is a builders forum with as many different criteria as there are members. It is true that there is a strong bias at this point towards smaller size and lighter weight over efficiency as well as a trend towards very refined craftsmanship, these are trends and do not apply to everyone.

ie:
-The preppers who wish to explore expedient construction methods.
-The tinkerers who pride themselves on making the most with the least.
-The folks who own rat-rods, somalian pirate/khyber pass AKs or VC clone guns who specifically want crude but functional.
-The Syrians, Libyans, Africans, who do not have access to our supplies/tools but are also not limited by our laws, and yes, frequent our forums.

The OP created a method of making K baffles without a lathe. This is a very interesting topic to many of us and one we would like to see explored, improved, and expanded. Unfortunately the OP took down the photos before most of us could see them.

If you want to be seen as other than an internet troll or forever being suspected of being a 13 year old call of duty fan who's never actually seen a gun that didn't shoot plastic BBs you should consider posting suggestions for improving the OPs technique, or maybe even produce a proof of method model and publish pictures.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Mooface makes a great point. As a matter of course I save all images
of new variations of parts and techniques as soon as they are posted
lest they suddenly vaporize into the ether.

My " 13 Volume Oxford English Dictionary" sized library of every aspect of
historical documentation on the development of suppressors and their technology is secure for
future historians.

Reminiscent of the found "Charter of Cyrus the Great, a baked-clay Aryan language (Old Persian) cuneiform cylinder,
was discovered in 1878 in excavation of the site of Babylon. In it, Cyrus the Great described
his human treatment of the inhabitants of Babylonia after its conquest by the Iranians."

Ref: << http://www.farsinet.com/cyrus/ >>

Perhaps our community's historical accumulations might be discovered under a wall by some future generation who will
marvel at our primitive but effect constructions. :)
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I side with safety no matter what the caliber, construction technique or expediency of need is.

I did not see the photos but if the construction is unsafe that should be known by all.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
mooface

Post by mooface »

I agree that unsafe practices/devices should be called out as such, but alarmist statements that a .22 baffle strike is going to actually kill the shooter or a bystander only harms our industry. To me statements like this are the sames as the gun banners ranting about "100 round clips that hold 200 bullets and make a glock revolver fire 1,000 rounds a second of cop killer bullets."

The goal should be to improve safety overall.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

mooface wrote:
M40A1308M wrote:Oh yes I have an anger issue when it comes to posters doing dumb s--t that will get them aressted or killed or kill someone else!
Are you seriously suggesting that a roughly made .22 suppressor is going to malfunction in such a way as to cause fatal injury?
moonface-spot on with all comments that you made in this post, someone gets it!
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

A shame, I would have liked to see the build. Not everyone here checks in every day.
And I am NO machinist
You are correct if that is the example you decided to post.

Summary: Encourage, not discourage. If safety is an issue, a tactful correction works well. And intimating a build is illegal without the slightest shred of evidence is low.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

If you guy wana post I would suggest reading the entire thing before you post.

It was a nine (same as OP) that they pulled slivers of metal out of the guy I described in my post. You probly didn't read that either.
mooface

Post by mooface »

M40A1308M wrote:If you guy wana post I would suggest reading the entire thing before you post.

It was a nine (same as OP) that they pulled slivers of metal out of the guy I described in my post. You probly didn't read that either.

Did.

He.

Die?
BeerWolf
Silent Operator

Post by BeerWolf »

It looks like Pitbull Kustomz left, and has not returned since the hazing he got.

Sad.
Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?
Scared_of_zombies
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scared_of_zombies »

BeerWolf wrote:It looks like Pitbull Kustomz left, and has not returned since the hazing he got.

Sad.
Yeah, he was certainly new to the "sport" but he did good work. I wish I could have seen what he had come up with.
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

Is it possible that our illustrious admin can send him a note that we'd like him back? I'm sure the e-mail he registered with is in the files somewhere.

Bill
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

It was a hell of a handbag melee while it lasted, even without the Mr. Griffis. :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Scared_of_zombies wrote:
BeerWolf wrote:It looks like Pitbull Kustomz left, and has not returned since the hazing he got.

Sad.
Yeah, he was certainly new to the "sport" but he did good work. I wish I could have seen what he had come up with.
I can still find cached images from his other thread about the "chevrolet suppressor" but I don't know if those look anything like the k baffles. He got scared out of the game before google had time to cache those images.

It would be interesting to compare them to ranb's welded baffles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895