Wanna K Baffle but aint got a lathe?? NO PROBLEM!!

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Pitbull Kustomz

Wanna K Baffle but aint got a lathe?? NO PROBLEM!!

Post by Pitbull Kustomz »

I wanted to build a real K Baffle suppressor (not just ball bearing pressed washers "K-Style")but i have no lathe so i guess i cant have one right? WRONG After I sent in my application and all the money i had saved I spent the next six months concentrating on how to over come the no lathe hurdle as i was waiting on my applications approval it came to me about 5 a.m. it's so simple why didnt i see it before. I believe this is a design or process that has not yet been explored at least it's original to me and all the basic aspects of a K are there and no really special or high dollar tools or machinery are needed except maybe the welder. And the best part is they work great .22cal and 9mm tested 5-6 baffles in a C-cell mag light tube with Remington subsonic ammo. I can shoot my Walther P22 in the living room without anyone hearing it in any other room and the 9mm when i fired it outside i about fainted i couldn't believe how quiet it was I would liken it to a bedroom door slamming or shutting hard It definitely was worth the $200.00 for the stamp. So what do you need to build you own true faux "K" here's your grocery list. 1) 3 fender washers stainless steel only 1 1/2" O.D. with as small of a center hole you can find it will be welded up
2) cone forming tool shown in 1st pic made from three ball bearings welded on top of each other then ground into cone shape. 3)gonna need a mig welder or equivalent. 4) Hammer and vise. 5) Bench grinder i use 36 grit sand paper wheel.
Then just bend grind weld grind and drill and voila you got a K baffle. some notes or tips would be weld an extra washer on bottom to thicken base this is also how you repair baffle strikes. To get the correct O.D. of the base washer i bolt all 6 washers used as the bases together and chuck them in my drill and turn on the grinder and spin the drill while holding washers on the grinding wheel it cuts them right down and keeps them round and centered. Notice that all mine are not the same length it's ok it works just fine so don't worry to much keep an eye on your overall O.D. so it seals inside the tube.

I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6....
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Re: Wanna K Baffle but aint got a lathe?? NO PROBLEM!!

Post by M40A1308M »

I am really sick yes sick. I am curious how many man hours do you have in that cave man era suppressor. I could see if we were in a Apocalypse and you u needed to MacGyver some suppressor. BUT REALLY!!!!!!

You spent 200$ tax to do that???? I am failing to see what is the problem with buying off the shelf stuff.

I have noticed some quick easy pass of making suppressors lately and I am guessing there are NOT taxed. Sure one could say they are but I seriously doubt it. And I am saying if these people showing there creations on a public forum are not taxed GOOD LUCK with all your future builds. I am guessing they have better machines in prison.

I assume Pittbull Kustomsz is some kind of custom Vehicle or shop. Please don't forward this to your future customers if the is your shop.

This is just plain embarrassing.

PS your glock serial number is visible just in case you skipped the tax. :shock:
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Just curious who made the end cap or the mount for the maglight? If you have access to a lathe for those I don't see why you didn't just turn some baffles.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Id really like to see the tax on that. And if you are a CUSTOM shop you should have better welding skills. I believe the end cap was pre-made and was used for something else. He probably used one of the large "precision" drill bits as in the other pictures.

You know I have to give you a little kodo's for the effort but really make your goals about something else.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

There is a Pitbull Kustomz hot rod shop in Haiti. At least according to Facebook.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Glad to see that Kris's at Red Jacket welding skills are improving. :) :) :)

You deserve credit for ingenuity showing "where there is a will, there is a way".
I personally enjoyed seeing your steps.

Please clarify how you held the baffle to drill it as I could not see any support.

An adjunct to your forming baffles would be to make one good one, Dremel
all surfaces, then go to a castings forum and get information on casting them.
This might be an avenue to explore given your access to welding equipment.

Thank you for showing.
StoveStoker

Post by StoveStoker »

M40A1308M wrote:I am really sick yes sick. I am curious how many man hours do you have in that cave man era suppressor. I could see if we were in a Apocalypse and you u needed to MacGyver some suppressor. BUT REALLY!!!!!!

You spent 200$ tax to do that???? I am failing to see what is the problem with buying off the shelf stuff.

I have noticed some quick easy pass of making suppressors lately and I am guessing there are NOT taxed. Sure one could say they are but I seriously doubt it. And I am saying if these people showing there creations on a public forum are not taxed GOOD LUCK with all your future builds. I am guessing they have better machines in prison.

I assume Pittbull Kustomsz is some kind of custom Vehicle or shop. Please don't forward this to your future customers if the is your shop.

This is just plain embarrassing.

PS your glock serial number is visible just in case you skipped the tax. :shock:
A bit harsh on the guy.

He is thinking outside the box. Are they pretty ? no, but if it works i'll take function over fashion any day. A lot of us come here because we have the 200 for the tax stamp but maybe not the 800 for a can and 200 for a stamp. which in the end both have the same result. And some of us like the challange. If I had a lathe would I use it? You bet your ass i would. But since I don't and I want to know the joy of shooting without wearing ears all the time, I am going to figure it out the best and most affordable way I can. And hey look at it this way, he hasnt blown himself up.......yet
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

Macgyver would be proud.
Keep calm, and suppress on
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Thinking outside the box? Is that a s--t box? No this is just bad no matter how you cut it BAD!!!!! BAD !!!!!!!

If you can afford the 200$ tax stamp but not the suppressor THEN GO GET A DIFFERENT HOBBY!!!!! Or SBR something.

I have seen to many on hear that are just not funded to have a hobby as this or just want to throw there money away.

Again PAY to PLAY.

And as we have NOT heard a response I can only amuse that OP dose not have a stamp and is sitting at home shitting him self.{my personal opinion and have no proof other wise. } As to the serial number of the Glock was sold in the US. So either he just threw 200 down the drain for a so so no I can't even give him that a CRAP suppressor or its being destroyed as we speak.

Sorry this one needs to be flamed I have done some dumb s--t in my life but never posted them on a open forum.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Those has to be the most god-awful, but-ugly POS I've ever seen, but why not? I wouldn't be surprised if you got those to work better than crude washer-style baffles, and in the end that's all that matter for some. Me, I like my work to look good, but no silencer turns out quieter just because it's pretty.

If you keep up the good work, I'll keep rolling on the floor laughing :mrgreen:
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

M40, you're an ass hole - a mouth who's never built anything. You flamed the hell out of me when I joined and asked a simple question in another section, about a process I wasn't familiar with. Called me every name in the book from liar, to undercover ATF agent. You've got anger issues bud, get some psych attention.

This guy has shown that ingenuity and perseverance can overcome a lack of equipment. I agree with most - damned ugly, inconsistent, and crude but, if the end result is good, and the Op is happy with the time he spent vs outcome, who are we to tell him he should get out of the hobby?

Bill
StoveStoker

Post by StoveStoker »

M40A1308M wrote:Thinking outside the box? Is that a s--t box? No this is just bad no matter how you cut it BAD!!!!! BAD !!!!!!!

If you can afford the 200$ tax stamp but not the suppressor THEN GO GET A DIFFERENT HOBBY!!!!! Or SBR something.

I have seen to many on hear that are just not funded to have a hobby as this or just want to throw there money away.

Again PAY to PLAY.

And as we have NOT heard a response I can only amuse that OP dose not have a stamp and is sitting at home shitting him self.{my personal opinion and have no proof other wise. } As to the serial number of the Glock was sold in the US. So either he just threw 200 down the drain for a so so no I can't even give him that a CRAP suppressor or its being destroyed as we speak.

Sorry this one needs to be flamed I have done some dumb s--t in my life but never posted them on a open forum.
Dude the first paragraph states" I sent in my money and waited six months for approval" ok paraphrasing but it looks like the op is playing by the rules.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

M40A1308M wrote:I have done some dumb s--t in my life but never posted them on a open forum.
You just did.
acg1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by acg1911 »

No shortage of elitism in the Silencertalk threads.
pnl2012
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pnl2012 »

acg1911 wrote:No shortage of elitism in the Silencertalk threads.
Elitisim ?, here ?, … noooooooooooooooooooo !

Wicked ?, please, include this Build in your Post in the first place so we can enjoy some sort of chronological order (ie. …, Ice Age, Stone Age, Bronze Age, … and so on till modern tools like “Lathes”). Kidding, i just like it ...

Congratulations to OP for his creativity, out of the box thinking and hand-building efforts with lack of tools but tones of illusion. I love your K’s. For sure, your Can is the best out there. Feel proud of it and enjoy.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Oh yes I have an anger issue when it comes to posters doing dumb s--t that will get them aressted or killed or kill someone else! And if I would build a suppressor then I would have comin sense to try and do it safe. I have no issue with what I say and have said. There is someone that just posted that uses a crossman co2 canister that look better than some on shelf products. That's thinking out side the box not shitting out side as this example here shows. I looked at the build it your self option but why? I still maintain this is the worst I have ever seen the time I've been here . Excuse me while I throw up now .
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Yes and to you bill I think posters should go back and read you post and make there own call. Thanks for the coment .

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=86588
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

I am guessing I was to harsh. He removed his pic's. You think I hurt his feelings? I'm sure with a name like Pittbull kustomz and a avatar with in fact a pit-bull tells me he probably is not sitting in a corner crying.

I may in fact be a asshole but this helps me center my self. I am sorry if I offended anyone with my comments.My condolences to the family and etc etc.............

OMG!!!! Really!!!!!!

Please I can't believe any one rallied on the side of that COME ON !!!!
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I never saw the pictures but from what I have read we have a new Silencersmith that is happy with what he made!There is also some grumblings from someone that has not earned that basic title.My Kudos's go to the contributing member that made something.

P.S. what the heck is a trip and anti-bounce weight in a M-16 its not part of the military package and I can see someone not knowing a MG can have any length barrel.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

You are 100% right.

But I can complain about things that I in my opinion to be illegal and hoping it wakes some folks up or dangerous and it wakes some folks up. I am not saying it was either but if we don't set some standard then fine just go make what ever you want just don't do it at my Ranges.

P.S. You are again 100% right but if you read the hole thing. The over view was sounding shady at best. And I will acknowledge the fact he has the right credentials . I was just expecting if your in that business you would have more working knowledge of that business. I was WRONG and I am still ok with what I said even if it was in error.
pnl2012
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pnl2012 »

I truly believe technical comments or critiques on designs or in builds or in materials or … are welcome not only in this Site but in any other place where Democracy (respect to others) is a must. When you get into personal offends or questioning legalities or using fear and threads as a “debating argument” is where you fall into another category of person. You have killed this Guy illusion, no matter if He was in Law or not; it’s not your problem. I’d like you to invite you to apologize “personally not technically” to OP and join me in asking Wicked to include “this build” in his Completed Builds Post as the first one: The first “Bronze Age” one, what have its own merit and lot to learn from it.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I have been in the business for many years as a craftsman.The legal jargon that changes from day to day is difficult at best to keep up with and I have been helped by others on this board.
I support building of well constructed suppressors for safety reasons but acknowledge the efforts of craftsmen not as fortunate as myself.It is apparent that this op has followed the BATFE rules according to his message.I built my first suppressor in the bombed out basement of a French monastery it was no beauty queen and I'm not sure I would post it today.I am very pleased this suppressor meets the requirements of its owner and hope he continues to develop his skills and share with us.CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

I had a post I was going to make but, this is simply a waste of time.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Fine I was harsh and ruthless this and his thread but I am going to say I wasn't wrong in stating my opinion.. But I understand there are some out there that will not have the tools and want to build things with there own hands I my self leave that to the experts. But I also have not stepped out of the guidelines of the site. But where do we draw the line on creative craftsmanship? I feel as if every person that puts on here what he wishes and ANY one steps up and says anything negative then were are just playing to the fault it self.

I feel as if I have to be kind and "say oh look what little Johnny did with his POO isn't that great". Fine you want PC then move to CA.

This is a online forum and I have a real boring day.

I think its funny how we placate people because we a frighted of the recourse. This is a forum for suppressors and I can say{ within Mr.silvers guideline's} any thing I wish and you are acting if I committed some HUGE offense to this guy. I am guessing you put a car part in this guy's hand with all the welding stuff laying around and he might excel. But to do a form 1 and rush to do this I say NO WAY. NO WAY.

Go ahead put Johnny s--t molded stick figure in the hall a fame for all that matters .
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Yes this forum is for suppressors with a goal, in this particular subforum, toward providing guidance and encouragement to others from those who have made the journey down the path of Form1's. Focus on safety is paramount and while aesthetics come in some where under functionality.
Is the OP's suppressor pretty? Definitely not.
Is it functional? It appears so.
Is it safe? It is hard to tell.

I wouldn't have posted pictures like that, but the day may come when we won't have our fancy lathes and mills and we need to hammer and pound out something marginally functional.

It falls under the category of, "if you can't say something nice..."