Finally got my stamp, need some help.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jason_larrow

Finally got my stamp, need some help.

Post by jason_larrow »

I've been reading here for nearly a year. I put my paperwork in back in August and received it yesterday.

Here's what I have. The firearm is a Hi-Point carbine in 45. My form 1 is for a 16 inch tube. I plan on using a reflex style supressor, 8 inches in front of the muzzle. At first, I considered doing a freeze plug or washer/spacer. however, I do have access to a family friends lathe and the family friend as well. Because of that, I have begun to consider K baffles and cones. While I'm not going to say money is no object, I would like to keep the costs reasonable.

Here's where you come in. I'd like suggestions on what you think an optimal design would be. As I've said, I've been reading these forums for a while and my plan has changed several times since I first sent in my paperwork. any and all constructive suggestions and criticisms welcome. However, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Scared_of_zombies
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finally got my stamp, need some help.

Post by Scared_of_zombies »

K baffles and chop barrel/permanently affix the tube would be how I go about it.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

My understanding is that K baffles are better for lower pressure applications such as .45, no booster necessary.

Personally I'd make a removable silencer, say you came across a different host in the future, and think.....Damn, I wish I could take that silencer off and put on this.
Kyle O.
Scared_of_zombies
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scared_of_zombies »

Dr.K wrote:My understanding is that K baffles are better for lower pressure applications such as .45, no booster necessary.

Personally I'd make a removable silencer, say you came across a different host in the future, and think.....Damn, I wish I could take that silencer off and put on this.
Did you miss the 16" tube part? All pistols and most rifles are out of the running as hosts at that length.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Scared_of_zombies wrote: Did you miss the 16" tube part? All pistols and most rifles are out of the running as hosts at that length.
I saw that, but being that no design is set in stone yet, my recommendation would be to make a shorter silencer that is removable, something along the lines of a Tirant offshoot, or some other of many designs on here. That's just me.

He could do a shorter length than what is on the form 1.

Maybe someone like Bender could weigh in on what advantages a 16 inch reflex can would have on a 9-10 inch muzzle attach in .45 cal. My guess is that any increase in performance would be minimal, but I just honestly don't know for certain as I have never delved into that caliber or design.

Just an opinion :wink:
Kyle O.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Also if it is 6 inches shorter than approved, an addendum should be sent in to reflect the more correct physical dimension.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"