Best way to cut K baffle

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

DS6

Best way to cut K baffle

Post by DS6 »

Wondering which is the best way to make the 60 degree angle cut for the cone on K baffles? i'm fairly new to lathe work, just picked up one and have only had a limitted time on it so far, mostly just turning down aluminum tubing to get the hang of it.

Would a countersink be ok? it's for a 22 form 1 suppressor.

Thanks in advance. :D
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best way to cut K baffle

Post by jaredr »

there's a good thread on it elsewhere in this forum (don't have it bookmarked but search may bring it up). I use a countersink for interior portion and compound rest for exterior.
DS6

Post by DS6 »

jaredr wrote:there's a good thread on it elsewhere in this forum (don't have it bookmarked but search may bring it up). I use a countersink for interior portion and compound rest for exterior.
what size counter sink do you use??
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

DS6 wrote:Wondering which is the best way to make the 60 degree angle cut for the cone on K baffles? i'm fairly new to lathe work, just picked up one and have only had a limitted time on it so far, mostly just turning down aluminum tubing to get the hang of it.

located in the pages is a great tutorial how to do this...what diameter is your project. Countersink could be a good choice for inside cone provided attention to speeds and feeds. Wrong speeds will provide less than desirable results. Diameter of tool will depend on the dimensions of your project
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
DS6

Post by DS6 »

Shift1 wrote:
DS6 wrote:Wondering which is the best way to make the 60 degree angle cut for the cone on K baffles? i'm fairly new to lathe work, just picked up one and have only had a limitted time on it so far, mostly just turning down aluminum tubing to get the hang of it.

located in the pages is a great tutorial how to do this...what diameter is your project. Countersink could be a good choice for inside cone provided attention to speeds and feeds. Wrong speeds will provide less than desirable results. Diameter of tool will depend on the dimensions of your project
i've found this one viewtopic.php?f=10&t=81037

lot of great information on the overall process, but still ne to figure out some things.

as fa as my project. DIA of baffle will be 1" and .75 long. or at least that is what i'm planning on now.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

DS6 wrote:
Shift1 wrote:

i've found this one viewtopic.php?f=10&t=81037

lot of great information on the overall process, but still ne to figure out some things.

as fa as my project. DIA of baffle will be 1" and .75 long. or at least that is what i'm planning on now.

Excellent thread to follow :wink:
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most