Supressor for 300 blackout shooting subs

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

grrifles

Supressor for 300 blackout shooting subs

Post by grrifles »

I am wanting to build a form 1 suppressor for the blackout. Its main purpose will be subs but I want it to handle full house loads also. From what I have read K's would be the best. I plan on stainless for the build. The gun is a a 9" AR pistol. I think OD will be 1.625 if that would be the best. I want it take apart because I will be running cast lead bullets.

Could cones be made to work as well as the k's?
What would be the best length and how many baffles?

I have my form just not sure what length to put on it.
Any help would be great.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: Supressor for 300 blackout shooting subs

Post by Dr.K »

Put N/A in the length on the form 1.

I'd make a design similar to the 762sdn6, that can was designed for the blackout if I remember right.

60 degree cones with clipped ends, stainless steel, 1.5" diameter tube, approx 8" OAL, spaced 0.8" apart with an 1.5" blast chamber would be the concoction I'd come up with.....In fact, when my form comes back this is exactly my plan.
Kyle O.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Dr.K wrote:Put N/A in the length on the form 1.

I'd make a design similar to the 762sdn6, that can was designed for the blackout if I remember right.

60 degree cones with clipped ends, stainless steel, 1.5" diameter tube, approx 8" OAL, spaced 0.8" apart with an 1.5" blast chamber would be the concoction I'd come up with.....In fact, when my form comes back this is exactly my plan.
You have to declare a length, a suppressor can't not have a length to it. Without a length or caliber designated it will be rejected.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

I've seen several post where people had approved form 1s with only the caliber noted. Has this changed recently? I have 3 forms pending with n/a for length as no design had been ....well, designed.
Kyle O.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Dr.K wrote:I've seen several post where people had approved form 1s with only the caliber noted. Has this changed recently? I have 3 forms pending with n/a for length as no design had been ....well, designed.
Been that way since the early 90's. some get through but it is required. Think about it this way as well if it wasnt required the why do manufacturers put it on every single form?
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

So the cones with clipped ends will perform as well as k's? How much do you take off on the end of the cone?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

grrifles wrote:So the cones with clipped ends will perform as well as k's? How much do you take off on the end of the cone?
On supers a clipped cone performs better than k's not the other way around.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Bendersquint wrote:
Dr.K wrote:I've seen several post where people had approved form 1s with only the caliber noted. Has this changed recently? I have 3 forms pending with n/a for length as no design had been ....well, designed.
Been that way since the early 90's. some get through but it is required. Think about it this way as well if it wasnt required the why do manufacturers put it on every single form?
Don't the mfg have to submit a design to the ATF? I would think that is the reason the length is always filled out on a form 3 or 4.

But, Form 1 doesn't require prior submission of a design, so no length could be known ahead of time if a design has not been thought up. I have read that form 1s are sometimes rejected for leaving the field blank, but not if N/A is written there.
Kyle O.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Dr.K wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Don't the mfg have to submit a design to the ATF? I would think that is the reason the length is always filled out on a form 3 or 4.

But, Form 1 doesn't require prior submission of a design, so no length could be known ahead of time if a design has not been thought up. I have read that form 1s are sometimes rejected for leaving the field blank, but not if N/A is written there.
No designs are required by anyone.

The length is filled out because it is a legal requirement a silencer has to have a declared length.

Yes the length can be known if you do ANY preparation for your build if you don't know the basics like caliber and length then you should be waiting to submit your form anyways till you have a better idea of what you are doing.
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

So k's it is. How many and what length are they so I can figure up length of supressor.

Thanks for the help
Chris
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

grrifles wrote:So k's it is. How many and what length are they so I can figure up length of supressor.

Thanks for the help
Chris
K baffles make terrible rifle cans. Stick with the cones on anything rifle caliber.

They would have the best shot at being decent with subsonic calibers but I wouldn't even bother, not to mention standard old 60* cones are much easier to make.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

57fairlane wrote:
grrifles wrote:So k's it is. How many and what length are they so I can figure up length of supressor.

Thanks for the help
Chris
K baffles make terrible rifle cans. Stick with the cones on anything rifle caliber.

They would have the best shot at being decent with subsonic calibers but I wouldn't even bother, not to mention standard old 60* cones are much easier to make.
K's are better suited for lower pressure rounds(9mm, 45ACP, 300BLK Subsonics)
Cones are better suited for higher pressure rounds(.223, 7.62AK, 300BLK Supersonics)

He is talking about primarily shooting subsonic 300BLK, therefore K's would be the way to go as they will still handle the supers if fired just won't be as efficient as the cones would have been(with supers).
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Bendersquint wrote: K's are better suited for lower pressure rounds(9mm, 45ACP, 300BLK Subsonics)
Cones are better suited for higher pressure rounds(.223, 7.62AK, 300BLK Supersonics)

He is talking about primarily shooting subsonic 300BLK, therefore K's would be the way to go as they will still handle the supers if fired just won't be as efficient as the cones would have been(with supers).
I'd just make both, and have the endcap threaded so I could swap out the cones for the Ks if I switched my ammo.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahem. :wink:
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Yep....just keep the extra parts on a chain around your neck so they are part of an "industrial" necklace....not silencer parts....that's bound to work out well.

:wink:
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

If I list length at 10 and it comes out to be 8.5 can I amend the form or just leave it alone?

How many k's would be best? I want to make a flash supressor and a QD mount for it something like YHM.

Thanks for all the help
Chris
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

grrifles wrote:If I list length at 10 and it comes out to be 8.5 can I amend the form or just leave it alone?

How many k's would be best? I want to make a flash supressor and a QD mount for it something like YHM.

Thanks for all the help
Chris
Draw the plans BEFORE you submit, so you'll at least have an idea of what to expect and if you run into any snags with your model/print you can make changes without being locked into the length you set.

K-baffles are pretty much set by the diameter you make them. A 60* cone within a given I.D. is going to really be the determining factor with your OAL. Thickness plays a part, but thats where your material selection comes in.

I still vote 60* cones on this one. A k-baffle that can stand up to supersonic if you decide to shoot it with that is going to be heavy out of 300 series, especially if you are looking at a 1.5" can when compared to a traditional cone/spacer arrangement. The flat face and corner radius behind it leading into the cone are where your failures are going to be 90% of the time with a K. Since a cone lacks that, the shape is stronger.
Last edited by 57fairlane on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
poak

Post by poak »

grrifles wrote:I want to make a flash supressor and a QD mount for it something like YHM.
I'm kicking around ideas for the same type of F1 suppressor.

I'd really like to go QD... YHM makes a thread protector I was thinking about incorporating to the endcap. I also recently discovered that Simplistic Shooting Soloutions makes a "Brake Shield" that works with the QD YHM brakes. I'd like to get my hands on one to dimension and see what fit is like, but until I find someone that actually owns one, I'd be $70 out of pocket just to evaluate the possibility of using one.

Here's a pic of the SSS Brake Shield:

grrifles

Post by grrifles »

Do the clipped cones work better the a standard 60 cones? How much of the cone is removed?

How much better does a k work then a 60 cones.

Chris
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

They are 60 deg cones, but the holes are trimmed on one side to cause the gasses tocross jet across the bore line. I clipped mine in my 223 can and got an increase in performance. I plan same thing for my blackout can.
Kyle O.
1naylor

Post by 1naylor »

Waiting on a stamp to come in for my .223 can that I planned on running 60 degree cones in. Can we see some examples of your clipped cones?

Thanks!
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

What is the best angle on the back of the face of a K baffle?

Chris
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

Looking for size of ball mill for scoop. I see its 1/4 for 22lr. So would it be 3/8 for .308

Thanks
Chris
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

General rule seems to be similar dia ball mill to the the bore, hence the 1/4 with 22

Cheers
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

So would a 5/16 be better then a 3/8?

Chris
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Enfield577 wrote:General rule seems to be similar dia ball mill to the the bore, hence the 1/4 with 22

Cheers
Doesn't apply for the 9, 40 or 45 K baffles, just the 22 baffles.