My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gtpsrock
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:30 am
Location: MI
Contact:

My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by gtpsrock » Wed May 29, 2013 11:13 pm

Hey fellas,

Well, it's been a very long time coming, but it's complete! Been waiting years, and it only took a couple nights to design and build. I was the first to have our sheriff sign off on 2 Form 1's for me when Michigan's AG clarified the law and allowed them about and year and a half ago. Then I waited to send them in for a while (ie: saved my $400 up). Anyway, got them back last week after waiting 2 days shy of 6-months.

So, I designed this one up. I'm sure that it could have been better, but I think it works pretty well for my first go at it. I've been making adapters for P22's, GSG1911's, GSG5's, Sig Mosquito's and others for years now through my company and it has drove me crazy to not be able to have a real suppressor... until now :D

Enough yacking so here it is:

The first shots in this video:
http://youtu.be/s5f7f9D0pd4

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

This little falla puked his guts out from spinning for 22 minutes!
Image

Image

Drilling solid bar with 1" drill for tube:
Image

I was always taught that a lubed tool is a happy tool!
Image

Image

Next up will be spending some time researching and designing one for my other Form 1 that I have on hand for a .223/5.56

Cheers!
Paul

User avatar
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: miami, florida

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by delta9mda » Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 pm

freaking awesome

i would have left the cones solid but otherwise that is sick
NP

John4045
Silent Operator
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by John4045 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:49 am

NICE!!!! Congrats on a great looking .22 can.

CThomas
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1274
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by CThomas » Thu May 30, 2013 12:58 am

Now that looks like some first rate metal fabricating.
That is a new twist on a baffle design for a form 1 for sure.

User avatar
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3578
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:40 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by L1A1Rocker » Thu May 30, 2013 1:11 am

Very interesting on the "twisted cone" design. I like the look of it.

User avatar
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by Enfield577 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:23 am

Excellent work well done - if I only had CNC to play with 8)
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most

User avatar
nutshot
Silent Operator
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:00 am
Location: Debyshire , England

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by nutshot » Thu May 30, 2013 5:48 am

Thats awesome 8) Love the spiral cones , very very cool 8)

Worth anodising the threads on the caps and tube , Ti is very prone to galling on threads if you don`t .

57fairlane
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:20 pm
Location: The South

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by 57fairlane » Thu May 30, 2013 8:06 am

nutshot wrote:Thats awesome 8) Love the spiral cones , very very cool 8)

Worth anodising the threads on the caps and tube , Ti is very prone to galling on threads if you don`t .
That would be my only concern . . . titainum to titanium threading will gall.

But otherwise looks great.

whats the weight?

Fulmen
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1045
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 am

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by Fulmen » Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 am

Outstanding work!

User avatar
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: wisconsin

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by twodollarbill » Thu May 30, 2013 8:47 am

Somebody's been holding out on us......Very Nice!!!

Historian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3200
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by Historian » Thu May 30, 2013 9:37 am

Your name is appropriate ... you Rock!

Your machining skills, design sense, and execution are overwhelming.

I personally feel like the grade school kid who showed up at Foxboro with his
football to see the New England Patriots practice and sat riveted as Tom
Brady threw his passes.

Verbal compliments cannot express my admiration.

Many thanks for showing.

"And how should I hold my football, Tom?" :) :)

joe0121
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:12 am

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by joe0121 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Dude bad ass to say the least. Did you design that in cad? what Cad software did you use and can you post them up so we can R&D (ripoff and duplicate) :lol:

1rosta
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by 1rosta » Thu May 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Beautiful workmanship. What is its total weight?
Thanks for showing, can't wait for the other build.
Will it be based on this design or something different?

User avatar
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Webster Parish

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by Dr.K » Thu May 30, 2013 2:03 pm

I like it.

So, does it suppress well?
Kyle O.

gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by gunningbadger » Thu May 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Absolutely beautiful work. Looks like a piece of art.

User avatar
rogerme
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1645
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by rogerme » Thu May 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Very sexy design..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith

gtpsrock
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:30 am
Location: MI
Contact:

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by gtpsrock » Fri May 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks so much for all of your generous compliments. I've been on here occasionally since I registered here back 7 years ago. There is some serious talent and engineering skills of the members here so that means a lot!

As a few of you mentioned, I am also a bit concerned about the ti to ti threads. I learned this the hard way when I was 14 (almost 20 years ago) and machined some titanium tie rods for my 250r 4-wheeler and they seized up and that sucked (I never did get them apart). Anyway, hopefully a little anti-seize and the o-rings will help.

Dr.K: I think it does as good or better than I had hoped for. I have really only shot one suppressor on a .22 before and it was inside at a range so I honestly don't have much to compare it to. And like always, the video I put on YouTube doesn't really do it justice.

1rosta: I'll add a few more pictures. One of which is on a very accurate scale and shows 191.04g which converts to 6.74oz. Obviously heavier than any aluminum one, but less than a quarter oz heavier than the SS Sparrow though mine is .92" longer.

As far as the .223 can coming... I'm really not sure what I am going to do. If a modified version of this idea would work well I might look at doing that. I put 8" for the length on that one. When I start doing some design work on it I'll probably start a new thread as I'd love to have input from you guys on that one.

Joe0121: I designed it using Autodesk's Inventor, which is very similar to Solidworks but just so happens to be what we use at work. Which I only use maybe once or twice a month.

Historian: Thanks again for the comments. That's funny about the "Swarf"works. Not too many people catch that.

Parting off 1.25 bar between spindles. Drilled out 1/2 finished tube in right spindle.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

5 gallons 'o titanium!
Image

Image

User avatar
Wicked
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1438
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:15 am
Location: Dayton, OH
Contact:

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by Wicked » Fri May 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Very nice. Most excellent lathe work. Interesting design too.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons

joe0121
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:12 am

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by joe0121 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:42 pm

I have inventor 2014 Pro and I feel like a kid who just got his drivers license trying to drive a Formula 1 car. I still haven't figured out the most efficient way to create a baffle cone.

User avatar
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: miami, florida

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by delta9mda » Fri May 31, 2013 11:39 pm

my mistake i thought the spirals were all the way through the cone (looking on an iphone vs lap top).

beautiful work man, jedi status achieved
NP

User avatar
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 813
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:30 am
Location: Lubbock, TX

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by JacksonBrowne » Fri May 31, 2013 11:42 pm

Very nice work indeed
07/02 SOT

User avatar
nutshot
Silent Operator
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:00 am
Location: Debyshire , England

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by nutshot » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:41 am

gtpsrock wrote:
As a few of you mentioned, I am also a bit concerned about the ti to ti threads. I learned this the hard way when I was 14 (almost 20 years ago) and machined some titanium tie rods for my 250r 4-wheeler and they seized up and that sucked (I never did get them apart). Anyway, hopefully a little anti-seize and the o-rings will help.
I wouldn`t take the gamble Fella. All the time and materials put into that silencer would be a dam shame if it got ruined for something as quick and easy as anodising it .

All you need is a low voltage dc power supply. For small parts like just the caps and tube threads you won`t need 1 amp so any bench top power supply will be adequate, to do the whole tube 5 amp should be plenty. You can just use a car battery to power it up if you have no power supply.
Get a plastic tub, mix a weak solution of distilled water and bicarbonate of soda (don`t make the solution look milky, just enough bicarb so it just looks like not pure water) . A small strip of lead or Ti foil as the cathode and a piece of Ti wire or thin Ti rod to attach your part to be anodised.
If you only wanted to anodise the threads and keep the end cap and tube nice shiny silver just mask of the area you want to stay silver. One of the easiest ways to mask off shapes like your end cap is to paint it with nail varnish as that`s easily removed with acetone and goes round any shapes. Any part that doesn`t enter the solution will not anodise so just paint the ends of the tube past the depth of your threads .
Negative terminal to the lead sheet , positive to your ti wire and part and just dip it in the bicarb solution . Its done in seconds . 12 volt will give you a bronze / gold colour anodise, higher voltage purples and blues. Most colours come under 30 volt ;)

paul463
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 pm
Location: WI

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by paul463 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:01 pm

nutshot wrote:
gtpsrock wrote:
As a few of you mentioned, I am also a bit concerned about the ti to ti threads. I learned this the hard way when I was 14 (almost 20 years ago) and machined some titanium tie rods for my 250r 4-wheeler and they seized up and that sucked (I never did get them apart). Anyway, hopefully a little anti-seize and the o-rings will help.
I wouldn`t take the gamble Fella. All the time and materials put into that silencer would be a dam shame if it got ruined for something as quick and easy as anodising it .

All you need is a low voltage dc power supply. For small parts like just the caps and tube threads you won`t need 1 amp so any bench top power supply will be adequate, to do the whole tube 5 amp should be plenty. You can just use a car battery to power it up if you have no power supply.
Get a plastic tub, mix a weak solution of distilled water and bicarbonate of soda (don`t make the solution look milky, just enough bicarb so it just looks like not pure water) . A small strip of lead or Ti foil as the cathode and a piece of Ti wire or thin Ti rod to attach your part to be anodised.
If you only wanted to anodise the threads and keep the end cap and tube nice shiny silver just mask of the area you want to stay silver. One of the easiest ways to mask off shapes like your end cap is to paint it with nail varnish as that`s easily removed with acetone and goes round any shapes. Any part that doesn`t enter the solution will not anodise so just paint the ends of the tube past the depth of your threads .
Negative terminal to the lead sheet , positive to your ti wire and part and just dip it in the bicarb solution . Its done in seconds . 12 volt will give you a bronze / gold colour anodise, higher voltage purples and blues. Most colours come under 30 volt ;)
Awesome. I was just going to search this info for my next F1 project.
Thanks.

User avatar
nutshot
Silent Operator
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:00 am
Location: Debyshire , England

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by nutshot » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:28 pm

No prob Paul :)

A bit more info just in case your anodising for cosmetics make sure you clean the part thoroughly and dont touch it with your fingers before anodising . I attach the part to a piece of ti rod then wash with washing up liquid then give it good rinse off under the tap or it will show finger marks in the finish . If I`m just anodizing threads I just degrease with a bit of brake cleaner and don`t overly worry about touching it with my hands.
If you buy a bench top power supply colours are easy to control and very repeatable. I use a 0-120v 1 amp supply for small stuff like end caps or bolt handles as you have a bigger variety of colours. For bigger parts like tubes I have a 0-30v 10 amp supply but bronzey/gold , purple and blue are all you can get sub 30 volt.

nice shot
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 347
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:41 am

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by nice shot » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Im speechless. Thats a work of art.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)

Post Reply