My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: My first suppressor build. Done! .22lr 100% titanium

Post by Historian »

I most heartily agree with Nice_Shot's assessment.

I react to your enviable skill and talent in melding innovative metal design
with flawless metal sculpturing similar to when
I have viewed Brancusi's work. It is at the core of our very DNA
as males when driven to manipulate and reform metal.

Ex., << http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8319/791 ... 7970d6.jpg >>
<< http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7180/697 ... 9d5bc9.jpg >>

Though redundant, a standing "O".

Best.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Other than the crappy machining :wink: it looks great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
gtpsrock

Post by gtpsrock »

Thanks again guys.

Hey nutshot, I didn't realize it was so simple (at least it looks simple) to anodize titanium. I hope to do it in the next day or two before I use it again. I have it all torn apart and am cleaning it now. I have some descent sized power supplies and lipo chargers from my other hobby of flying large RC helicopters that I can put in a direct drive mode and control the current and voltage, so that should work. If not, I'll just use the batteries from one since they are around 50v fully charged (along with a fuse of course). Really, what's the worst that can happen? :lol:

Yeah I know jimmym40a2. I'll try to do better next time. haha
nutshot
Silent Operator

Post by nutshot »

Couldn`t be easier :)

Heres a crappy wobbly vid I did anodising a ti bolt handle . vids a bit slow trying to do several things at once so I dipped a bit of 3mm ti wire in as well just to show you haw quick it is if you have your voltage set ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fnIT4fWqk
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

My factory suppressors suddenly look like crap...
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

nutshot wrote:Couldn`t be easier :)

Heres a crappy wobbly vid I did anodising a ti bolt handle . vids a bit slow trying to do several things at once so I dipped a bit of 3mm ti wire in as well just to show you haw quick it is if you have your voltage set ;)

Video set to private.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Elegant design, and nice idea to try using the grooves to vent to the coaxial chamber. So did you cut the square notches in your baffles after finding out you weren't getting enough venting to the coaxial chamber?.....or just put them in for insurance? I wonder if a half-round notch lining up with each groove could have given enough flow and not been as disruptive to the aesthetics of the design.

Well done!.....obviously not your first rodeo in the machine shop.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
nutshot
Silent Operator

Post by nutshot »

joe0121 wrote:
nutshot wrote:Couldn`t be easier :)

Video set to private.
Oopps , Should be sorted now ;)
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Probably the nicest looking can I have seen.
( except my wifes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

JQ1

Post by JQ1 »

Nice machining work. I work for one of the three big US makers of Ti (I'm a metallurgist/process engineer) so I appreciate this even more.
As far as the titanium anodizing goes, you can find a few interesting examples of the amazing colors you can create at www.architecturaltitanium.com. I helped them on a few of those projects.
Now I just wish I had access to some cnc lathes and milling equipment like you have. I can get all the ti I need for a discount (within reason).
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

JQ1 wrote:Nice machining work. I work for one of the three big US makers of Ti (I'm a metallurgist/process engineer) so I appreciate this even more.
As far as the titanium anodizing goes, you can find a few interesting examples of the amazing colors you can create at http://www.architecturaltitanium.com. I helped them on a few of those projects.
Now I just wish I had access to some cnc lathes and milling equipment like you have. I can get all the ti I need for a discount (within reason).

Welcome.

Thank you for pointing out the eye candy architectural site. Amazing usages.

A Frank Gehry material to be sure. He used it on his titanium covered Guggenheim
Museum in Balboa Spain. Masterful.

Now for us common folk to enjoy.

Best.
paul463

Post by paul463 »

nutshot wrote:No prob Paul :)

A bit more info just in case your anodising for cosmetics make sure you clean the part thoroughly and dont touch it with your fingers before anodising . I attach the part to a piece of ti rod then wash with washing up liquid then give it good rinse off under the tap or it will show finger marks in the finish . If I`m just anodizing threads I just degrease with a bit of brake cleaner and don`t overly worry about touching it with my hands.
If you buy a bench top power supply colours are easy to control and very repeatable. I use a 0-120v 1 amp supply for small stuff like end caps or bolt handles as you have a bigger variety of colours. For bigger parts like tubes I have a 0-30v 10 amp supply but bronzey/gold , purple and blue are all you can get sub 30 volt.

Anodized it today. Came out exactly the color I was looking for. Last post in my, "my very first K baffle" thread has pics.

Thanks for the tips.
gtpsrock

Post by gtpsrock »

I was starting to get confused :? as I just read your reply paul463 and thought that it was actually my post as our names seem to be quite similar :lol:

Anyway, I was just going to post that I got mine anodized as well. After fiddling with different power supplies and running large lipo batteries together in series, I just bought (14) 9 volt batteries. I tried all the colors from 9v to 126v to test it. I ended up using straight Simple Green cleaner as the solution. Worked like a charm. And smells good!

I did the baffles in all different colors (for now) and then the tube and caps in blue (36v), which looked a bit too much on the blueish purple, so I sanded it off the main part of the tube and end caps. So now just the grooves in the caps and tube are that color (and the inside so the threads are anodized). I like it.

Cheers,
Paul
nutshot
Silent Operator

Post by nutshot »

Glad it worked well for you both :)

Its like magic :lol: thing I think that is very cool is you havn`t changed the Ti colour at all just how it reflects light 8)

Another finish that looks good is shot blast then anodise . Ive got a piece of tube that I did at 30 volt and its come out a really nice matt grey with a hint of blue. I`ll try an get a picture later .
gtpsrock

Post by gtpsrock »

Thought that I'd add a couple more pics of it's goodness after the anodizing and another video. I was just having fun playing with different colors on the baffles.

http://youtu.be/drOWax8fXKg

Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the thought of making that one dirty.

Seems it should be in a display case somewhere.
Kyle O.
vvillium3

Post by vvillium3 »

Again, great build! What part of Michigan are you from? I'm from the very southwest corner. Hopefully they start allowing us hunting supressed shortly.
gtpsrock

Post by gtpsrock »

Hey vvillium3. I'm from right in the central part of the lp.

Dr.K. I know what you mean. I've had so much fun shooting with it that I don't feel too bad until I look at these pics again. Haha.

Also, I finally got my hands on some std velocity CCI and shot with it on my AR with a .22lr conversion. Yeah, that's pretty fun.

I just put a Savage mark ii trr-sr on layaway so I'm pretty excited about that. Here's a note: When you mention to your wife that you were at a gun shop at lunch and almost put a gun on layaway, and she says "well why didn't you?", you head directly back to the gun shop! lol. Now she is counting and says that I have more than her so she's got to go buy more. Can't complain about that :lol:
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

gtpsrock wrote:Hey vvillium3. I'm from right in the central part of the lp.

Dr.K. I know what you mean. I've had so much fun shooting with it that I don't feel too bad until I look at these pics again. Haha.

Also, I finally got my hands on some std velocity CCI and shot with it on my AR with a .22lr conversion. Yeah, that's pretty fun.

I just put a Savage mark ii trr-sr on layaway so I'm pretty excited about that. Here's a note: When you mention to your wife that you were at a gun shop at lunch and almost put a gun on layaway, and she says "well why didn't you?", you head directly back to the gun shop! lol. Now she is counting and says that I have more than her so she's got to go buy more. Can't complain about that :lol:

I do understand, had the same with some rifles, told her that I would love to get an AS50, her reply, was almost the same, I do think that her shoe collection is still bigger... Now I need to buy some extra large tubing..

Gunny
Ash

Post by Ash »

Just came across this and....

WOW!!!
Toxarch
Silent Operator

Post by Toxarch »

F#%K! I should have bought a 3D CNC machine. That looks awesome. Very nice design and work.