Proof of life

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Proof of life

Post by Shift1 »

Okay okay I know the rules of not holding out on pics for new projects. Earlier I posed the question about muzzle pressures on shorter barrels and that soon would be posting a proof of life vid. Well .... still do not have that vid. Have been playing with my toys and to be frank I have been working on load development for the cartridge to minimize the muzzle pressure and still have enough ass to allow semi auto function. As we all know subs in most semi rifles have mixed results. The good news is that I have that load figured out...the bad news is I did not have camera with me today while at the range. The sweet spot on this particular project is about 1550 fps. Was functional at 1527 fps but not 100% Did not cycle w/o can at 1527 fps but additional back pressure on system from installing can made it work. Doing this to relieve pressures and reduce erosion on the internals. I know this is not subsonic but part of my personal requirement is that the rifle functions as designed. Not too much fun having a semi auto single shot rifle. I can always go to a sub loading if I choose to and make things really quiet....
So here are a few compulsory construction pics

Muzzle adapter into QD module
Front cap
QD Module

Will more than likely get the vid done next weekend
Last edited by Shift1 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: Little Teaser

Post by Dr.K »

All your doing here is making me want to get a mill.....

All of the sudden, "just a lathe" doesn't seem good enough for me anymore. :lol:

cool stuff.
Kyle O.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Dr.K wrote:All your doing here is making me want to get a mill.....

All of the sudden, "just a lathe" doesn't seem good enough for me anymore. :lol:

cool stuff.
Oh it goes much farther than just the mill.....recesses were done with a super spacer :wink: Just like the lathe....the real money is in the stuff you have to work on the mill with
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Great work as usual shift

Oh I know what you mean about the kit for the mill, I just got a dividing head for mine, that was $1,200 over here
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Nice looking work, even though I missed the first part about what it is!

Mill tooling is cool but expensive. You've got your rotary table, dividing head, and various types of indexers. For 80% of what I've ever done of that nature in a mill, this is the indexer of choice for me:

These are typically made with 5C female taper, and whatever spindle nose you'd use with your lathe, such as threaded, Hardinge taper, etc. It's got 24 index pins in back, of which you select those that you want to engage, so you get 360 divided by whatever set of pins you actuate. Neat tool. Getting one that tilts is gravy. Got to have a tailstock for it, as well, for fluting barrels, etc.

For quickie work, it's hard to argue with square and hex 5C collet blocks held in a mill vise.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Baffled wrote:Nice looking work, even though I missed the first part about what it is!
Its a can for a shorter barreled .308 class weapon system. (16 1/2 barrel.) The earlier discussion was related to the muzzle pressures associated with these shorter barreled platforms.
"LP"
BeerWolf
Silent Operator

Post by BeerWolf »

Dr.K wrote:All your doing here is making me want to get a mill.....
cool stuff.
You're doomed, you know. :lol:

Oh, it just starts out with a lathe.
Then you have to get a mill, a semiuniversal indexer, gotta have some of those collets...

RUN. Run while you still can!
Don't look back, it's too late for us.
Save yourself.
Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

Oh, these are mere kiddie toys... Wait 'til you start buying CNC's! :lol:

Bill
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Re: Little Teaser Proof of life pics... vid to follow

Post by Shift1 »

Okay here are a couple of pics to prove existence will endeavor to do proof of function vid this weekend

Pic of project

Pic of project on host left side

Pic of project on host Right side

Barrel is 16.5 long....lotsa muzzle pressure with factory surplus ammo. Works well but no bueno with that much muzzle pressure. Too abusive to can. Working on reduced loads to allow function but minimal abuse. Found that 1550 fps fits the bill. I know still supersonic, but I want the rifle to function as designed... If I choose, I can always load some subs.....will post vid later. Should mention that this rifle shot a 10 shot 1.25" group as pictured at 75 yds. Five shots with can off...five with can on. POI shift seems to be pretty minimal. 174gr .311 SMK. Have factory side rail 4x scope as optional optics as well
"LP"
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

"Shift1"

Nice machining and great look with the snake print.

What baffles did you go with, same as the end cap - concave?

Can you give us more details about your QD system?

Pictures explanation?

Gunny
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

gunny50 wrote:"Shift1"

Nice machining and great look with the snake print.

What baffles did you go with, same as the end cap - concave?

Can you give us more details about your QD system?

Pictures explanation?

Gunny
Gunny, baffles are a bit of a hybrid design. The core is basically a coaxial design using clipped and ported 60 degree cone Omega 2 piece baffles. As the baffle is loosely based on an Omega, I went ahead and obtained permission from SWR. The cone sections are separate from the spacer sections.
QD system consists of 4 parts: The module body that screws into the rear of the tube, a spring (this one is an 80lb rate), a module body rear cap, and a flash hider sleeve. The system could be adapted to fit several different lug patterns: single, double, three. All pieces are close tolerance to keep alignment stable
"LP"
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

"Shift1"

QD system consists of 4 parts: The module body that screws into the rear of the tube, a spring (this one is an 80lb rate), a module body rear cap, and a flash hider sleeve. The system could be adapted to fit several different lug patterns: single, double, three. All pieces are close tolerance to keep alignment stable[/quote]

So if I understand it right is more or less a system that is also used for MP5 and some other large and small caliber silencers. QD lug locking system.

Gunny
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

QD system consists of 4 parts: The module body that screws into the rear of the tube, a spring (this one is an 80lb rate), a module body rear cap, and a flash hider sleeve. The system could be adapted to fit several different lug patterns: single, double, three. All pieces are close tolerance to keep alignment stable

So if I understand it right is more or less a system that is also used for MP5 and some other large and small caliber silencers. QD lug locking system.

Gunny[/quote]
essencially that is correct.
"LP"
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Shift1 wrote:

Gunny
essencially that is correct.[/quote]

And I'm over here in the corner like, "Hey, I just learned how to cut threads" :lol:

I'm envious of your skills Shift.
Kyle O.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Dr.K wrote:
Shift1 wrote:

Gunny
essencially that is correct.

And I'm over here in the corner like, "Hey, I just learned how to cut threads" :lol:

I'm envious of your skills Shift.[/quote]

Kyle....don't be, you are well on your way.
"LP"
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: Proof of life

Post by Dr.K »

Thanks man.

I'm chomping at the bit to get going. 3 forms came back with corrections, so I should have stamps in hand in 2-3 weeks.

Can't wait to share some of my newly acquired skills on a few home built silencer projects. Materials and tooling are all laid out and ready to go. I believe I'm gonna set up a time lapse camera behind the lathe, and get the whole project on film, and maybe do a narration post edit.

Hopefully it will turn out interesting, and not make me look like the total newb to machining that I am....we shall see 8)
Kyle O.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Re: Proof of life

Post by Baffled »

Thanks for the explanation. Everything I can see of it is top notch... really nice rig you have there. Thanks for sharing. :D