K Baffle Design (by 16 year old)

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Paledaddy
Elite Member

Post by Paledaddy »

Very nice stuff Paco !!

s--t i cant figure out how to do surface carvings as the text and flutes on circular objects.. Hook a brother up with some intel :D

Pd
[b]Bas Rutten[/b] [quote]" I'm sorry Sir..... BANG ! BANG ! BANG !... No I'm not. "[/quote]
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

I don't want to be a bastard or anything, but honestly, there's probably no point of secrecy, when you have a product in Solidworks that will probably never see a prototype.

CNC machines cost rediculous amounts of money, and Materials cost quite a bit of money. . .

Facilities have to be rented and utilities paid,

Fixtures have to be designed and built,

Welders have to be paid,

By the time you figure out that side, you'll realize that more than what crazy thing you can design, the worry is what can you actually afford to build-

All these things are areas that need to be explored.

manual and CNC machining, manufacturing methods, blueprinting, Welding, metallurgy, business operation, tax law, BATF forms and procedures and firearms law, Website and graphical design, engineering and Solidworks design <this part you might be ok with, marketing and sales, government contract solicitation procedures, and the list probably goes on.

CNC machining expertise alone is a lifetime achievement.

Government contract solicitation is probably almost a career field for one.

business operation is a vocation.

Sales and Marketing are career fields.

Engineering is a vocation.

By the time you figure it all out, Solidworks drawings of products are grand, but they aren't 20% of the company. I could design you a whole product line for a major company in four weeks. That doesn't mean s--t compared to what you need to make it work.

I'm just giving you a heads up before you find your dream shattered at the onslaught of all these other things that you don't think of at first.

Unless you have eight lifetimes to invest, or love worrying about a world of s--t all the time and working around the clock for an obscure and distant future payoff, you won't make it in this business.
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

Paledaddy wrote:Very nice stuff Paco !!

s--t i cant figure out how to do surface carvings as the text and flutes on circular objects.. Hook a brother up with some intel :D

Pd
text?
sketch tools text, sketch text on a construction line, and then you wrap emboss or deboss it. <I might be missing exact wording for that, but the features are there. Search the help menu in Solidworks.

Flutes?
sketch two points, and insert a refference axis. draw a profile and revolve a cut. Feature pattern this revolved cut in a circle about the origin (which I'm assuming will be in the center of the tube at one end.

There are of course three or four ways to do that, but I would avoid the fillets on full rounds like that because they always seem to turn into a fiasco with the several menus of fillet comands.

At the end, you have a nice graphical depiction of something that will only be useful for mass properties, or for manfacturing if you have and know how to use a $14,000 or better Solidcam package that has full associativity with Solidworks.

If not, you may as well have divided 360 by the number of flutes you want, figured out the coordinates [two points and a depth of cut] to program one of those, and G-coded the simple linear ball mill cut, inserted an axis (A move), and copy and paste the line of code/ A move/ copy paste etc.
Paledaddy
Elite Member

Post by Paledaddy »

s--t, i'we missed that.

I know there surtenly 4 or even more ways for it :D ..
I'we been doing it the hard way, making blocks in the air around the object and then cutting from that down to the surface, after that i have Hide the block *LOL* ..

Pd
[b]Bas Rutten[/b] [quote]" I'm sorry Sir..... BANG ! BANG ! BANG !... No I'm not. "[/quote]
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

Paledaddy wrote:s--t, i'we missed that.

I'we been doing it the hard way, making blocks in the air around the object and then cutting from that down to the surface, after that i have Hide the block *LOL* ..

Pd
There is a lot to Solidworks. The further you get into it the more sophisticated it becomes.

For that you don't need to add a plane because you can make the sketched revolve cut on a plane already intersecting the model.

Feature patterns and sketch patterns are powerful tools that save time. Also convert entities is a time saver allowing you to pull a sketch from existing part geometry on another plane. Sketch copy, paste, and point to point sketch moves and rotations are also handy.

For other stuff it sounds like you might want to try working with planes. Insert a reference plane offset from one you already have rather than building a box.

You can also adjust the angle on planes if you need to put in a feature at an angle (hole or whatever).

Configurations are a can of worms I was forced to work with for a company that loved them, and now I see the point. Configurations of parts are really cool when properly designed.
Paledaddy
Elite Member

Post by Paledaddy »

Well the problem for me is like for many others.. It's to freaking complicated without having any education or course on how to handle the software.
I have a bigtime issue placing the plane at the right place were i wanted.
Had no problem adding text on a flat surface, but on a tube it was impossible :D .

Well dont want to hijack Pacos thred, so i'll keep quiet now ;)

Pd
bob332
Silent But Deadly

Post by bob332 »

green0 - how do you know of paco's connections? sure cnc equipment cost a lot but a lot of people know people who have access to them, and then all you need to wait on is the atf paperwork. at the very least a prototype could easily be made, depending on connections quickly after the paperwork is finished.

there is a ton of talent in all different types of fields that are more than willing to help others out just to help. if it turns profitable for paco then good for him, but i see no reason to s--t on his ideas - he is proud of them and should be.

even if it is his hobby you would have to agree he has quite the skill for a person his age, and tenacity to want to learn.

i have seen other 1 or 2 man operations do quite well in certain "niche" areas w/out the govt contracts, so peoples mileage may vary in that dept, hell some people don't even like to do govt contracts.
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

bob332 wrote:green0 - how do you know of paco's connections? sure cnc equipment cost a lot but a lot of people know people who have access to them, and then all you need to wait on is the atf paperwork. at the very least a prototype could easily be made, depending on connections quickly after the paperwork is finished.

there is a ton of talent in all different types of fields that are more than willing to help others out just to help. if it turns profitable for paco then good for him, but i see no reason to s--t on his ideas - he is proud of them and should be.

even if it is his hobby you would have to agree he has quite the skill for a person his age, and tenacity to want to learn.

i have seen other 1 or 2 man operations do quite well in certain "niche" areas w/out the govt contracts, so peoples mileage may vary in that dept, hell some people don't even like to do govt contracts.
CNC costs money Period. Access or not.

Prototypes cost 1/4 the cost of small production runs.

I don't think you know the CNC field if you think there is CNC talent waiting around to help for no pay.

I'm not shitting on his ideas. I want him to be aware of the hidden costs and effort involved before he pisses away years of his life working on something to find out he can't realize his dreams for lack of money, time, or knowledge in enough different areas.

He has a great skill in drawing in Solidworks. That's good stuff. A lot of companies will pay for that. Solidworks is still a rendering though- it's not a real part.

I don't know his connections, maybe he's rich and the son of a CNC manufacturing facility owner, and his mom has made a career in business and marketing. If not, I just don't want to stand around and watch people fluff his ideas and throw him all kinds of rope to hang himself with, without saying anything about the other side of the business...

The part where its different from any other type of business in ways that seem engineered to drive people to bankruptcy.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

green0 wrote:
bob332 wrote:green0 - how do you know of paco's connections? sure cnc equipment cost a lot but a lot of people know people who have access to them, and then all you need to wait on is the atf paperwork. at the very least a prototype could easily be made, depending on connections quickly after the paperwork is finished.

I don't think you know the CNC field if you think there is CNC talent waiting around to help for no pay.

I'm not shitting on his ideas. I want him to be aware of the hidden costs and effort involved before he pisses away years of his life working on something to find out he can't realize his dreams for lack of money, time, or knowledge in enough different areas.

He has a great skill in drawing in Solidworks. That's good stuff. A lot of companies will pay for that. Solidworks is still a rendering though- it's not a real part.

I don't know his connections, maybe he's rich and the son of a CNC manufacturing facility owner, and his mom has made a career in business and marketing. If not, I just don't want to stand around and watch people fluff his ideas and throw him all kinds of rope to hang himself with, without saying anything about the other side of the business...

The part where its different from any other type of business in ways that seem engineered to drive people to bankruptcy.
a good friends step dad has a real full capability shop. i have access. dont s--t on the kid.
pmercer
Silent But Deadly

Post by pmercer »

I must say that from what I know of Paco, he has no dissillusions about anything when it comes to what he's involved with on here.

He seems willing to help, advice, share and learn from anyone that can help him without any conditions.

I work in the leading European Rapid Manuufacturing centre, so know more than most about prototyping. (Not necessarilly the designing, but definately the prototyping). It's also owned by a multinational US company and is their flagship dept so must rank well in the US powerplay as well.

I have been dealing with Paco for a while now and he comes out with some things that I'd expect from my collegues, not a young lad. I for one have already offered free prototype parts to him if local laws allow. I'm sure I'm not alone in offering services.

Some people give out vibes that conduce you to help them.

Having said that, Green0, if your comments are meant in good faith, then I'm sure Paco will benefit from the reality check that we all need reminding of from time to time.

Best of luck Paco
bob332
Silent But Deadly

Post by bob332 »

delta9mda wrote:
green0 wrote:

a good friends step dad has a real full capability shop. i have access. dont s--t on the kid.
this is my situation too, unfortunately the friend of mine that has the equipment is a couple states away so certain items are no-no, but other than that i can send him a model of an item and he will generate the code for the machine, machine it, anodize it and send it back :) works excellent for non-firearm stuff ;)
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Pd
Thanks,

I do the same procedure that GreenO described in his post for text and flutes. Since I don't know what depth would look nice with a CNC, and/or, how deep a laser is capable of cutting, I keep deboss depth at 0.0125".
green0 wrote:I don't want to be a bastard or anything, but honestly, there's probably no point of secrecy, when you have a product in Solidworks that will probably never see a prototype.

I understand what your saying, and probably why your saying it, but I'm currently helping no more, no less than 12 people with Form 1 silencers of my designs and the Titan models. (I need to remind everyone that the Titans can only be manufactured until the Hyposone patent is issued) As of now, one person will be sending in their Form 1 for my Dark Heart this week. :wink: You can be expecting a range report when it is finished. I am keeping what is inside the Dark heart a secret for several reasons, however, I will not list them as someone might get pissed off at a couple (not that they should). Many of my cans are obviously seeing prototypes.

CNC machines cost rediculous amounts of money, and Materials cost quite a bit of money. . .

Facilities have to be rented and utilities paid,

Fixtures have to be designed and built,

Welders have to be paid,

By the time you figure out that side, you'll realize that more than what crazy thing you can design, the worry is what can you actually afford to build-

All these things are areas that need to be explored.

I've been doing a lot of exploring into what it takes to run a machine shop, and getting estimates on what things will cost.

(1) manual and CNC machining- This is what I will be going to school for at a local Junior College

(2) manufacturing methods- Can learn this at the JC, and my dad has been a machinist, toolmaker, injection molder, and other things related to all these numbered categories for the last 28 years. I think I'm pretty set there :wink:
(3) blueprinting- I can already do this using CAD
(4) Welding, metallurgy- JC classes
(5) business operation- Working on it
(6) tax law- Got no idea :lol:
(7) BATF forms and procedures and firearms law- Learning about it currently
(8} Website and graphical design- I have friends who do this for fun :roll:
(9) engineering and Solidworks design <this part you might be ok with- I guess I kinda set here, but I really would like to learn a lot more
(10) marketing and sales- This is what my mom is good at
(11) government contract solicitation procedures, and the list probably goes on- I doubt I would want to get a government contract, unless something I have to offer would make our family and friends over seas safer, then I would jump on it right away.

CNC machining expertise alone is a lifetime achievement.

I can agree with this, however I come from a family that has had multiple life achievements in multiple lifetimes, much of it being in what I'm working at.

Government contract solicitation is probably almost a career field for one.

business operation is a vocation.

Sales and Marketing are career fields.

Engineering is a vocation.

By the time you figure it all out, Solidworks drawings of products are grand, but they aren't 20% of the company. I could design you a whole product line for a major company in four weeks. That doesn't mean s--t compared to what you need to make it work.

Wanna race? :lol:

I'm just giving you a heads up before you find your dream shattered at the onslaught of all these other things that you don't think of at first.

I appreciate your concern, but I have thought of, am thinking of, and will continue to think of what I can do to better educate myself about all of the above mentioned fields.

Unless you have eight lifetimes to invest, or love worrying about a world of s--t all the time and working around the clock for an obscure and distant future payoff, you won't make it in this business.

I don't mind a few challenges along the way.
Paledaddy wrote:s--t, i'we missed that.

Pd
This is how I started out doing it on the 1911 slide model I have. I did it this way for flat surfaces, but then I decided I also wanted to show engraving on my cans. It took me about a week before I figured out how I was supposed to do it. Remember I have never ever taken a solidworks class in my life. I have never even done a tutorial :shock:
green0 wrote:

Pd
text?
sketch tools text, sketch text on a construction line, and then you wrap emboss or deboss it. <I might be missing exact wording for that, but the features are there. Search the help menu in Solidworks.

Flutes?
sketch two points, and insert a refference axis. draw a profile and revolve a cut. Feature pattern this revolved cut in a circle about the origin (which I'm assuming will be in the center of the tube at one end.

There are of course three or four ways to do that, but I would avoid the fillets on full rounds like that because they always seem to turn into a fiasco with the several menus of fillet comands.

At the end, you have a nice graphical depiction of something that will only be useful for mass properties, or for manfacturing if you have and know how to use a $14,000 or better Solidcam package that has full associativity with Solidworks.

I have GibbsCAM as well as MasterCAM X for all the CAM jobs I seem unable to do :? I am still learning how to use CAM.

If not, you may as well have divided 360 by the number of flutes you want, figured out the coordinates [two points and a depth of cut] to program one of those, and G-coded the simple linear ball mill cut, inserted an axis (A move), and copy and paste the line of code/ A move/ copy paste etc.

I had never used the patterning tools in sketch before, until I used them in my new Dark Heart can.
Paledaddy wrote:Well the problem for me is like for many others.. It's to freaking complicated without having any education or course on how to handle the software.
I have a bigtime issue placing the plane at the right place were i wanted.
Had no problem adding text on a flat surface, but on a tube it was impossible :D .

Well dont want to hijack Pacos thred, so i'll keep quiet now ;)

Pd
Again, I have had no actual education in this program, nor have I taken any courses or tutorials on Solidworks. If I can do it without formal education or courses, you can do it as well. Also, this thread is open to any and all people who would like some help with CAD, so there is no reason to be quiet about it. :wink:

Thanks Bob,
I do know many people who have access to CNC equipment, and even wire and sinker EDM equipment. I like to learn as much as I can about anything that is related to firearms, manufacturing, designing, etc. I like what I do and am pretty proud of it, like you say. :smile:

GreenO wrote:CNC costs money Period. Access or not.

In the end, people doing the F1's are paid from having something they pretty much made themselves. I would be pretty content with at least that.

Thanks GreenO. It would be nice to work for a suppressor company that's already out there, but I don't know how I would exactly go about doing that.
I don't know his connections, maybe he's rich

I WISH! :D

and the son of a CNC manufacturing facility owner, and his mom has made a career in business and marketing. If not, I just don't want to stand around and watch people fluff his ideas and throw him all kinds of rope to hang himself with, without saying anything about the other side of the business...

delta9mda wrote: a good friends step dad has a real full capability shop. i have access. dont s--t on the kid.
Does he have a wire EMD machine? I forgot to ask in the PM.
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

pmercer wrote:I must say that from what I know of Paco, he has no dissillusions about anything when it comes to what he's involved with on here.

He seems willing to help, advice, share and learn from anyone that can help him without any conditions.

It still goes; anytime anyone needs help, advice, or anything, you can just let me know and I will still try my best to help as much as I can. And I am always willing to learn.

I work in the leading European Rapid Manuufacturing centre, so know more than most about prototyping. (Not necessarilly the designing, but definately the prototyping). It's also owned by a multinational US company and is their flagship dept so must rank well in the US powerplay as well.

I have been dealing with Paco for a while now and he comes out with some things that I'd expect from my collegues, not a young lad. I for one have already offered free prototype parts to him if local laws allow. I'm sure I'm not alone in offering services.

You're definitely correct there :D I don't ask anyone for anything in return; I just try to help people out with somethings I know a little bit about.

Having said that, Green0, if your comments are meant in good faith, then I'm sure Paco will benefit from the reality check that we all need reminding of from time to time.

Best of luck Paco
Thanks very much Paul, I appreciate it :smile:

And thanks to everyone else as well, who has had enough faith in me to allow me to keep doing what I do. :smile:
257speed
Silent Operator

Post by 257speed »

Paco, I sent you a PM
bob332
Silent But Deadly

Post by bob332 »

paco ramirez wrote:
pmercer wrote:I must say that from what I know of Paco, he has no dissillusions about anything when it comes to what he's involved with on here.

It still goes; anytime anyone needs help, advice, or anything, you can just let me know and I will still try my best to help as much as I can. And I am always willing to learn.

You're definitely correct there :D I don't ask anyone for anything in return; I just try to help people out with somethings I know a little bit about.

Best of luck Paco
Thanks very much Paul, I appreciate it :smile:

And thanks to everyone else as well, who has had enough faith in me to allow me to keep doing what I do. :smile:
man, at the very least you have learned a ton and isn't what it is all about anyway? keep the renders coming, i enjoy looking at them all the time :)
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

257speed wrote:Paco, I sent you a PM
Got it. I just need you to give me your email address please, so I can send you the stuff. Reply sent.
bob332 wrote: man, at the very least you have learned a ton and isn't what it is all about anyway? keep the renders coming, i enjoy looking at them all the time :)
I have learned a ton. I doubt that I could have learned much of the things I learned here in any other place. Here is a render (or four) :lol:

This shows the logo I am working on for this can. I kinda like it this way, but I want to make the rounded parts look better:

This shows the weld bead simulator I made for the can:

bob332
Silent But Deadly

Post by bob332 »

very nice :) is that going to be your logo?
cocoboots
Silent But Deadly

Post by cocoboots »

great work. keep it up.

i like your logo. Unique!
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Thanks guys :smile:

I'm making a few different ones, and I will post them here when I finish each one. Here is the second one. It is just a modified version of the first one. Only problem is that, without a laser, an endmill or engraver tool won't be able to make the outer points very well :? I can always fix that though :wink:

paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Here is a fourth, with a modified triangle thingy on top. I want to make "PAC" go lower instead of it being on top of the center part. It reminds me of a Spade (not a black guy...the card kind), a serrated spearhead, and a bat. I don't know why I think it looks like a bat if you look at it upside down, like a bat hanging from something with its wings tucked :lol:

olephart
Silent Operator

Post by olephart »

I am fascinated by the arrow with text referencing the enemy. Surely this is not an aid to installation. Even a 2nd Lieutenant would be unable to install the silencer incorrectly.

It must be some hi-tech enemy detector. Always pointing toward the enemy. I'd like to hear more about how it works. Maybe it could be incorporated in the gun barrel for times when the silencer is not installed.

:D

Good work. The future lies with our young folks. Paco looks like part of the solution.
Rgray
Elite Member

Re: KAC OHG PISTON

Post by Rgray »

wolf wrote:
paco ramirez wrote:Here is the part way done KAC OHG Piston Assm, and the pictures I used for reference. I need to make a spring, add threads, a retaining ring, and indexing cap spring. I don't know how those last two are supposed to work, the indexing cap spring looks like no spring I've ever seen. I think the retaining ring locks into the 20 cuts in the back of the indexing cap to keep it from spinning with the cap screwed on... oh yeah, I gotta thread the outside and make the cap :lol:

My piston copy:

Everyone who I'm CADing stuff for: No worries, most of your stuff will be done this weekend :D
I dont think what you call a indexing cap spring,is a indexing cap spring
I think it just a spacer to prevent the piston to be pulled or pushed (by shooting ) to far back ,to far back wouldn't be good for the piston spring :wink:
It is slotted so it dosnt take up more volume than if it wasnt slotted
this also gives it more cooling surface
Actually you are wrong, that metal part is a spring that stops on a ring inside the suppressor tube and compresses when you tighten the ring on the outside of the tube. There are detents cut into it that makes it sort of ratchet lock into place.
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Thanks guys, and thanks for you help Rgray. I'm working on a piston assembly for a Walther P99 for someone, so I'm trying to gather lots of info on recoil boosters. Where does the O ring go in the OHG can? I never knew there was an O ring in the can until today. Do a lot of handgun cans use O rings? BTW I got AIM for IM now :D
Rgray
Elite Member

Post by Rgray »

paco ramirez wrote:Thanks guys, and thanks for you help Rgray. I'm working on a piston assembly for a Walther P99 for someone, so I'm trying to gather lots of info on recoil boosters. Where does the O ring go in the OHG can? I never knew there was an O ring in the can until today. Do a lot of handgun cans use O rings? BTW I got AIM for IM now :D
The o-ring on the barrel serves to help keep it from loosening. The O-ring in the Can, keeps your threads clean by keeping blowback off them. I guess it also helps keep can stable to a SLIGHT degree. ONly if it were to loosen a slight bit.
rjs1000
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjs1000 »

Really like the designs Paco! A question for everyone: Anyone look at the mathematics of optimizing baffle shape?

For example in the "K" type, has anyone examined the effects of various expansion rates (linear vs second order vs something more exotic) this would of course seem to depend upon where you were in the baffle stack, the initial higher velocity seeing baffles should be perhaps designed for supersonic flow, the subsequent ones for transonic/subsonic etc.

Are the flows just so complex that various things are guessed at and then tested to optimization?

Thanks!

Robert
Robert