K Baffle Design (by 16 year old)

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Ky-Moonshiner
Silent Operator

Post by Ky-Moonshiner »

i havent seen any myself so are there any pics of KAC baffles to see?
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Suputin wrote: Can't agree with that statement. We are way past using volume to get good sound reduction. Current designs are using high tech to replace volume.
Does the high volume Reflex still deal with heat from FA use better than small-volume, complex baffled cans?
Suputin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin »

The Reflex is VERY tolerant of FA fire. I think this is because it has a large external surface area to radiate heat and the baffle design limits the back pressure and thus the amount of heat held inside the can.
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

Also the pressure of reflex designs will always be lower, because there is simply more volume in the cans for gas to expand.

That helps.
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Here is the page where you can find the pictures of the inside of the KAC can. (I didnt see the arrows pointing to next page for the pictures...lol)

http://www.silencertests.com/gallery/KAC?page=3

Pictures 3-4-5
son_of_a_gun

Post by son_of_a_gun »

The Picture the CAD Design is based on seems to be the B+T Impulse 2A for .45 ACP.
This is definitely my fovourite design because of the three little holes which push the gas aside. I guess i will soon build a silencer with this type of baffles on 9mm Para. An important question seems if the Gas coming from the three little holes will push the bullet aside. Has anyone any expirience with this?[/img]
Paledaddy
Elite Member

Post by Paledaddy »

[This is definitely my fovourite design because of the three little holes which push the gas aside. I guess i will soon build a silencer with this type of baffles on 9mm Para. An important question seems if the Gas coming from the three little holes will push the bullet aside. Has anyone any expirience with this?[/img][/quote]

The bullet comes before the gases, remember that.. So when the gases comes out the holes the bullet is pretty much gone .

These holes are for making turbulence in the diffrent chambers, all to delay the flow through the silencer amuch as possible.

If you were to have a standard tube with just flat washers, no dater holes or slanted stuff of any kind.. then the gasflow would me pretty much the same though the whole silencer. Ok that works but then the silencer need's to be longer or wider, to get most of it you want to destroy that same old bath that the gases takes so you will brake the flow so it will go slower.

Thats what i think anyway, but im no expert.

Pd
[b]Bas Rutten[/b] [quote]" I'm sorry Sir..... BANG ! BANG ! BANG !... No I'm not. "[/quote]
[cerberus]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [cerberus] »

Were you just making an animation in those screen shots, or were you doing any cosmos testing? I would be impressed if you are doing analysis, only because there are areas that i don't think you have been exposed to yet.

Just wait till you get through school and learn how to do FEA on those with COSMOS flow works. The days of millions of dollars in R & D are over.
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Yeah its modeled after the Impulse IIA. Also in those screen shots i was animating the bullet flying through the barrel. I have played around with Cosmos Flow works but have a lot more to learn in the entire program.

-Josh
Suputin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin »

The days of millions of dollars in R & D are over.
I wouldn't bet on it. what goes on inside a suppressor is an exceedingly complex variety of mechanisms which nobody has yet to be able to model accurately.
GANADERO
Senior Silent Operator

WORK WHIT SOLIDWORKS

Post by GANADERO »

paco ramirez wrote:Yeah its modeled after the Impulse IIA. Also in those screen shots i was animating the bullet flying through the barrel. I have played around with Cosmos Flow works but have a lot more to learn in the entire program.

-Josh
IT IS A VERY GOOD WORK FRIEND PACO I ALSO I WORK WITH SOLIDWORKS And YOUR DESIGN SEEMS VERY GOOD To ME CONGRATULATIONS :D :D :D
The GREATNESS Of the MAN IS IN The STRENGTH OF ITS MIND IN The NOBILITY OF ITS SOUL And HER WILL TO WIN

NEW ZELAND
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Thanks GANADERO,

I have been working on a copy of the M4-2000 Flash Hider and its rachet mount. So far so good, I had a failed attempt at matching the female threads though...lol. I'm not planning on actually having my cousin machine the mount, because I'm not sure whether or not it's patented (I think it is). The flash hider is a combination of the M4-2000 and the M4-2000 SOPMOD. I would put up the E-Drawing files for download of these two designs, but I am not sure how. :roll: Here are some screen shots though in the mean time. Today I finished a 9mm can for the Beretta 92. I just recently learned how to make threads and how to match them, but not how to create threads like 1/2x28T.P.I. accurately. Some pics of that also.

Here are some screenshots of the new 9mm can, I call it
Widowmaker Mk. 16 Mod.0 "Widowmaker name came from a MacGyver Episode :D)

-Paco Ramirez
Josh
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Ooops, almost forgot my favorite picture...

Bullet only, no casing. 1911 frame and slide are stripped, and the barrel is not to spec, but it still looks cool.
treflip

Ellipses Baffle Stack

Post by treflip »

Hi, I too am interested in building my own silencer. I am also just learning about designs and how they function.
I'm impressed with your cad and Solidworks drawings. As I looked at the ridges on your Baffle design ( I assume that's the potatoe chip design!) I wonder if the reverse would resist gas expulsion more efficiently.
I read u were given the silencer books by Alan Paulson and was wondering if they helped in research and design.
Thanks for your reply!
If u can't Dazzle them with Brilliance... Baffle them with Bull Melarchy!
GANADERO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GANADERO »

paco ramirez wrote:Thanks GANADERO,

I have been working on a copy of the M4-2000 Flash Hider and its rachet mount. So far so good, I had a failed attempt at matching the female threads though...lol. I'm not planning on actually having my cousin machine the mount, because I'm not sure whether or not it's patented (I think it is). The flash hider is a combination of the M4-2000 and the M4-2000 SOPMOD. I would put up the E-Drawing files for download of these two designs, but I am not sure how. :roll: Here are some screen shots though in the mean time. Today I finished a 9mm can for the Beretta 92. I just recently learned how to make threads and how to match them, but not how to create threads like 1/2x28T.P.I. accurately. Some pics of that also.

Here are some screenshots of the new 9mm can, I call it
Widowmaker Mk. 16 Mod.0 "Widowmaker name came from a MacGyver Episode :D)

OK FRIEND IS A GOOD DESIGN WHICHEVER TIME YOU HAVE WITH. SOLID WORKS YOU HAVE THE ASAMBLY Of the SILENCER And The PISTOL The ANALISAS WITH COSMOS WORKS ?

CHERS

-Paco Ramirez
Josh
The GREATNESS Of the MAN IS IN The STRENGTH OF ITS MIND IN The NOBILITY OF ITS SOUL And HER WILL TO WIN

NEW ZELAND
BigDave@SMDW,LLC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BigDave@SMDW,LLC »

The design looks great, now all you haveto do is figure out how to get it machined from barstock for a reasonable amount of money. I was thinking it might actually work to use powdered metal to form them, or maybe csat them out of stainless and do some finish machining to clean them up.

Dave
http://www.libertycans.net

Dean of "LSU" Liberty Suppressors Underground
Suputin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin »

maybe csat them out of stainless and do some finish machining to clean them up.
Much easier said than done. How do you get hold of the baffle once it has been formed in order to do the final machining?

I know it is boring to hear but why not forget the K-baffle and consider something more ..... original? The K has been done to death. :roll:
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

I have not done any COSMOS testing on the 9mm can or the .223 can (I will in due time). I was thinking that machining a baffle face into a flat face on a cylindrical piece of barstock and the placing the negative face of the baffle inside and using it as a nest would work (I hope everyone understands my wording :lol:) This would work using a vertical mill and a sort of pin at the bottom to keep the baffle from rotating while machining. Maybe put two flats on each side of the nest to hold with a clamp. What else do you guys think would work well? How close is the 9mm design to production designs. Suputin, I am still working on the other ideas I had and I will post them as soon as I am done.

Thanks everyone,

Paco Ramirez
Josh
BigDave@SMDW,LLC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BigDave@SMDW,LLC »

I was just throwing ideas around, thats all. I dont know how it would work, but Ruger seems to have a pretty good hold on casting gun parts, since all theirs recievers are castings as well as most of the other parts in their guns. I figured it was a plausable idea......

Another alternative would be to use a 5 axis machining center and mill the entire part on the end of the bar then part it off. That way you would only have the backside to finish up and any simple fixture would work there.

Dave
http://www.libertycans.net

Dean of "LSU" Liberty Suppressors Underground
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Hi everyone,

I've been gone for a while on vacation at a gold mine in Coulterville, California. It was very fun. I got back and made some copies of the AAC TiTan and here are some pics. These are of the .223 Remington one.

The sides of some of the photos got cut off, but o well :lol:

I also made .50, .338 Lapua Mag, 300 Win Mag, .308 Win, and 6.8 SPC.
The things that I changed on some of the others were those small vertical supports in between the baffles, and those chamber seperators on the top and bottom of the core, and the vent hole size and arrangment, and the baffle slant angle variances. I might make a Flash Hider to go with it soon. At least its not another K Baffle :lol:

-Josh
Last edited by paco ramirez on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

sweet...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
bob332
Silent But Deadly

Post by bob332 »

paco,

excellent work :)

you going to release your igs/part/assembly files to others for educational benefit???? :D i am very new to solidworks and am very impressed w/ your work.

good job :)
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Parts

Post by paco ramirez »

I guess I could... Anyone who wants part files send me a PM or E-Mail me at [email protected] .

And thanks guys :lol:
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Paco post your 50cal one...............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

OK :lol:

The way it looks to me this thing could be off balance on a 50 because I'm pretty sure it is too long (OAL= 21.2 inches) I'm working on a better one right now