New to Form 1

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

thekingrobert

New to Form 1

Post by thekingrobert »

Hello everyone, I'm planning to file a form 1 for a suppressor but i'm doing all my research first. I want to create something similar to a DA Nomad 30 or Trash Panda. Anyone know where i can get the exact measurements of the tube OD and inside, what are the baffle lengths?
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to Form 1

Post by mr fixit »

Hated to see your post wallow without a response. Fact is this site used to be the best place on the web for suppressor builders. Spam took over a couple years ago and the site owner sort of abandoned the site for a while. Most of the folks with all the knowledge got tired of the spam and lack of upkeep and have moved on. I truly hope they come back.

Having said that I will tell you that folks here never passed out the kind of specific information your asking for. Most don't have the info, and most would tell you to 'base it on' not 'copy from' established designs. I don't have the info you're asking for, but I do hope you stick around and ask more questions and add to the knowledge here.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Mr. Fixit it is correct, the spammers ... may they now
inhabit Dante's 12th layer of hell ... drove designers away.

A good principle when asking here the designing of
anything is the requirements in a hierarchy
before gong to a particular design :

1.Present the arm, calibre, barrel length, and ammo
power that can will be placed on. FRP.

2. Describe the specifications you expect of the can:
-- caliber ... .22, .45, .303, .50;
-- length and size limits ( e.g., short and fat for tight field use, long and skinny, etc.)
--Material e.g, Aluminum, steel, titanium, 3-D printing.

3. Are you fixed on a class of implementations: K-baffles, mono core,No-baffle system,
flow thru.

With this info advice from past can be brought to bear.
Patents can be suggested you seek for inspiration.

With new ATF regs can you even get authorization/stamp to even
build your own.

Hope this helps.

Please update forum with your progress and thank Mr.Fixit's hard work in giving this once great site
a chance at resurrection.
3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

You can still get a form 1 approved. If you are capable of making it yourself, you should have no problem.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

The Dead Air Nomad's dimensions are 6.500 x 1.735 @ 14.5 oz with welded construction. You could measure the welds to determine spacing of baffles.
Trash Panda is 6.91 x 1.75 @ 11.8 + 2oz for cherry bomb. It uses 9 baffles.

Reading the available information on the DA-Nomad it appears to use individual coaxial baffles over the traditional mass volume designs.
A coaxial design using ported 60* cone baffles would be a approximation of the design. The use of a replaceable muzzle device is good engineering.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895