Thought on endcap design

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Thought on endcap design

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I know aesthetics dictate an endcap screws into the tube. But what about having an endcap screw ONTO the tube. It won't look as pretty but wouldn't it be a bit stronger that way? I would think that heat and pressure expansion would be pushing the peaces together rather than apart.

Has anyone done this?
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thought on endcap design

Post by Dr.K »

I've seen some cans like this, and I believe your thoughts are all correct.

Just doesn't seem as pleasing to the eye for me. Kinda looks like a pipe bomb.
Kyle O.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

There is a reason why no commercial manufacturer makes endcaps like this.

What this does is fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I know aesthetics dictate an endcap screws into the tube. But what about having an endcap screw ONTO the tube. It won't look as pretty but wouldn't it be a bit stronger that way? I would think that heat and pressure expansion would be pushing the peaces together rather than apart.

Has anyone done this?
The only technical reason to do that would be with the use of thin Ti as its very elastic.I personally don't like the ascetics and elasticity is best handled with welding which will be much lighter and stronger. 8)
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

It is on the outside to hold wipes
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Only problem I see is that it adds to the diameter. We usually strive for a large diameter to keep a decent volume without adding too much length, but a larger diameter can obscure the sights so it's often a compromise. If you can afford the extra diameter why not use it for volume?
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

One advantage I can think of doing it that way is you could make it much easier to grip for taking apart by hand & tool-less. Can't think of other positives, but I'm sure there are some.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Endcaps that are not the same diameter as the tube just look bad and will certainly weigh more. No thank you.
LP
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Structurally I don't see any real problems. I don't care for the look, and I think it adds to the diameter without freeing much volume, but that's mostly a matter of taste. I also think it makes more sense to let the thrust act directly on the threads rather than transferring it through the front of the end cap.
pnl2012
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pnl2012 »

I see some benefits on Caps threading onto the Tube and no need for an increase in OD and/or multi OD’s (ugly look): Shorter Cans, no wasted space, more contact surface for hand-screwing, easier to Machine for MiniLathes. no need for “special” Baffles to fit into the end cap, easier for building complex reflex/integral Cans, … Tubing can be the same. A Pic follows; this one is 1 inch OD, 0.065 walls and 32 tpi.

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

If it must be as short as possible that is a good idea in the low pressure muzzle end of a can +1 Paul.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Capt. Link. wrote:low pressure muzzle end of a can
The pressure might be low, but the end cap has to distribute all the axial load back onto the tube. And that load is not something to be taken lightly, it represents all the drop in recoil which can be substantial, try calculating the forces involved and you'd be surprised.
pnl2012
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pnl2012 »

Mechanical elongations (deformation) are exactly the same as long as thickness and materials are the same for in & on. Now, of course, with “in to” caps you can go thicker ergo you can go stronger. So, this is not a better or worse matter; it’s just another available “option” and for sure not related to “look and feel” at all anyway. The balance is the key.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Fulmen wrote:
Capt. Link. wrote:low pressure muzzle end of a can
The pressure might be low, but the end cap has to distribute all the axial load back onto the tube. And that load is not something to be taken lightly, it represents all the drop in recoil which can be substantial, try calculating the forces involved and you'd be surprised.
My take apart .308 cans have but .200" muzzle cap thread engagement and I don't need spares figure that one out.

+1 Paul I give credit where its due I don't like the pipe bomb look and that cap will look nice on a magnum can I need.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

I'm just pointing out that a can is subjected to much more than pressure. Pnl2012s sketch would not be a good solution as there is almost no material left to handle the axial load. I had a 22 can with K's that were too thin for pistol use, it had a strong first baffle to handle the high pressures but the front baffles collapsed due to axial load.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Fulmen wrote:I'm just pointing out that a can is subjected to much more than pressure. Pnl2012s sketch would not be a good solution as there is almost no material left to handle the axial load.
:arrow: How much material is required to handle the axial load :?:
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

That is a very good question, and I suspect the answer is the same as for "how long is a rubber band?" :mrgreen:

I'll admit I haven't done any calculations as it's hard to get an exact figure, so I just use experience and other working designs as a reference. That probably means they are seriously over-engineered, but better safe than sorry.
pnl2012
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pnl2012 »

OK, i understand what Fulmen says. My comments: Axial pressure is related to threads engagement and tolerances while radial pressure is related to net wall thicknesses at threading peaks (Note: Axial pressure is the bullet flight and radial pressure is the pressure pulse expansion to the Baffles/Tube/Caps in a “sideways” way). Obviously, my example is 32 tpi (not really strong) and we have a system with two parts (Tube and Cap) so Axial & Radial are directly related and constrained to the weakest point (Note: A s--t threading plenty of walling thickness is going to fail – due to axial forces - while perfect threading with extremely thin wall will also collapse – due to radial forces -). In order to design a VERY STRONG Can with “onto” Caps, you have to either accept the “pipe bomb look” or just work with thicker Tubes and Mill the outside of the Tube - in between the Caps - to lighten the Can without compromising the look and feel and the overall ID. Remember: Cheap, Good and Safe, … pick two; that’s the Law.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

pnl2012 wrote:In order to design a VERY STRONG Can with “onto” Caps, you have to either accept the “pipe bomb look” or just work with thicker Tubes.
That's my sentiment as well.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

I realize that the AAC Element is not an "outside" end cap design but I would think such a design could be made to look nice if edges were machined at angles to flow into the tube

delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

stop making this harder than it has to be.

bender- spot on
NP
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

If memory serves, there have been a couple OPs who have posted an external cap design project to the pages. I think that it was done due to running with a mini lathe and not having the room to do otherwise. Bender is correct...you do not see them commercially made this way. Why....Bender may know the answer, I do not. You see some that have a reduced center between the caps as illustrated by CThomas. Personally... keep the threads on the inside of the tube.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"