9MM UZI can conversion ??

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

fishman7

9MM UZI can conversion ??

Post by fishman7 »

sold my F/A mini uzi and like almost all the transfer was not worth it to the buyer to take the can with that said
current specs ( valid tax stamp on hand )
2" dia
8.5" long
9mm
6-7 K style baffles
supressor was custom made and is able to be taken down

Goal : use this on some other platform ??? :roll:
.308 bolt gun ?
i already own SWR 9mm , SWR 45, aac m4-2000, 2-warlocks and a acc S3R ( married to my 110 SASS)
so i figured bolt gun maybe due to size and volume
besides making a new rear mounting plate any issues with this conversion ?
have access to machine shop with great machinest ( i will be there while my can is there or ill take it home )
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9MM UZI can conversion ??

Post by ghostdog662 »

Pics would help but legally I'd say you can't modify it without sending it to an 07/02.

Any pics of how it is currently?
LP
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

What is the material? I think that would be important if you are considering a center fire bolt gun

Also, if the suppressor itself is modified, I think that is OK, but it would have to be done be an 07/SOT (as stated before) but I think you could have your machinist make a thread adapter that is a non-permanent 'part' of the system to allow you to put it on another host (assuming the can is able to handle the pressure of the new host)
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

As said above any work on the suppressor must be done by an NFA manufacturer (07/02).

Your machinist however can make a thread adapter that screws into the uzi mount to convert it to whatever you are looking to suppress.

Depending on the material AND construction will determine if you should shoot centerfire rifle in it.
fishman7

Post by fishman7 »

the body construction is aluminum :roll: thru some of my reading im starting to think about pressures ??? :shock:

as far as dyi vs sot nothing says i cant work on it that i know of ( in my presensce 100% of the time ) no baffles are being removed just the rear cap please feel free to correct my thinking and if possible provide the statutes that govern this i cant seem to locate it but it would be good knowledge

not trying to argue or be a smart ass but truly want to know the actual written law governing
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

fishman7 wrote:the body construction is aluminum :roll: thru some of my reading im starting to think about pressures ??? :shock:

as far as dyi vs sot nothing says i cant work on it that i know of ( in my presensce 100% of the time ) no baffles are being removed just the rear cap please feel free to correct my thinking and if possible provide the statutes that govern this i cant seem to locate it but it would be good knowledge

not trying to argue or be a smart ass but truly want to know the actual written law governing
ATF considers ALL parts of a silencer silencers in themselves and as such replacing the rear mount is replacing a silencer part and ONLY licensees are allowed to replace silencer parts.

You need to read the NfA hand ook its very clear about this very thing.
fishman7

Post by fishman7 »

my understanding was that that portion referred to baffles. 1 baffle is in itself a suppressor not necessarily the mount. hell that would be like saying a neilsen device or a 1/2x28 that is taken off of a swr trident is in it self a suppressor ( it is part of the suppressor ) here is another we have always been told that the can is the tube that has the numbers connected to your tax stamp but now mfg's are making for example the AAC prodigy the stack or baffle system can be removed from the tube doing such does that put 2 suppressors in your possession at that moment ??

i believe the body of that statute or law was created so that joe blow didnt have 30 baffles 6 in a can and the other 24 ready to go into a steel plumbing pipe on the fly
i love a good thread that we can share opinions
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Here is some text copy/pasted from the ATF website.......

A person who is licensed under the Gun Control Act (GCA) to manufacture firearms and who has paid the special (occupational) tax to manufacture National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms may replace a component part or parts of a silencer. Repairs may not be done if they result in removal, obliteration, or alteration of the serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k).

Persons other than qualified manufacturers may repair silencers, but replacement parts are “silencers” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) that must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

fishman7 wrote:my understanding was that that portion referred to baffles. 1 baffle is in itself a suppressor not necessarily the mount. hell that would be like saying a neilsen device or a 1/2x28 that is taken off of a swr trident is in it self a suppressor ( it is part of the suppressor ) here is another we have always been told that the can is the tube that has the numbers connected to your tax stamp but now mfg's are making for example the AAC prodigy the stack or baffle system can be removed from the tube doing such does that put 2 suppressors in your possession at that moment ??
The above quote is based on the design of the silencer. The trident for example is designed in such a way that the ATF has ruled to SWR that the rear mounts are not silencers in themselves.

Others have received similar approvals and others have not...yhm for example.

It is 100% dependent on the design and how it is implemented as to whether parts are classified as silencer parts or not.
fishman7

Post by fishman7 »

understood and clarified thats good to know

so the can that i have when originally made has removable front and rear caps ( ive never taken it down) would the same apply if i can unscrew the back w/o getting into it and replace it or would the sot rule apply

by the way due to concerns w/ pressure im concerned with how it is made so i may swap the back cap of have it done to host on a 9mm ar or something else ???? just a waste to have a can sitting around that has no host
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

fishman7 wrote:understood and clarified thats good to know

so the can that i have when originally made has removable front and rear caps ( ive never taken it down) would the same apply if i can unscrew the back w/o getting into it and replace it or would the sot rule apply

by the way due to concerns w/ pressure im concerned with how it is made so i may swap the back cap of have it done to host on a 9mm ar or something else ???? just a waste to have a can sitting around that has no host
pkp

REPLACING any parts requires and SOT manufacturer to be doing the work. You can not have extra parts either so you would be going to an 07/02 SOT to swap your old mount for the new mount.

An 07/02 can replace you current mount with a new mount to fit the host you desire. We do this ALL the time!
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

fishman7 wrote: just a waste to have a can sitting around that has no host
Buy a new Uzi ?!?

:lol: just kidding
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
fishman7

Post by fishman7 »

buy a new uzi lol im over that that is why i sold it of in the first place this friggen can is just so damn big dunno what to do w/ it guess it will sit and collect dust until i come up w/ a idea
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

There are tons of things you can do to repurpose it, we have a few MAC cans in being repurposed right now.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

When you talk about used suppressors, I know that 'name brand' cans don't hold their value like they should and 'no-name' 07's sell for even less - you'd be lucky to give away a Form 1 can ... but with all that sunshine - ever consider selling it? :wink: