Getting ready.... Octane HD style but with stainless tube??

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

1naylor

Getting ready.... Octane HD style but with stainless tube??

Post by 1naylor »

So I'm back pouring over all of these completed build threads.

My form 1 was sent in Feb 1st... so it looks like it should be in my mailbox just any day. I'm planning a .223 can for that one.

I also have 2 form 4's that went in at the end of Feb. One of those is for an Octane HD 2 9mm.

Now the Octane is rated for 300 blk ... but only subsonic. I intend to use it on my 9mm pistols as well as my 10.5" 300 blk. If I slip up and load a supersonic round - is it going to ruin my suppresssor?

Also - the baffle stack is all SS. I figured this can would be able to handle full power .308, 300 blk, .223, etc.

Is it's limitation the aluminum tube? If someone were to make a similar baffle stack and use SS for the tube, would it be safe with full 300 blk power loads and .223 full power loads?

I understand I'd need to ask SWR for permission to do something like this. I'm just asking out of curiosity at this point.

Thanks.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Getting ready.... Octane HD style but with stainless tub

Post by Bendersquint »

Really thin ss baffles dont hold up to higher pressures.

Its a limitation of the thickness of the SS walls and the aluminum tubing.

If you fire a super through the octane it may very well damage the can badly. You need to mark your mags if you fear that accident.
1naylor

Post by 1naylor »

If you fire a super through the octane it may very well damage the can badly. You need to mark your mags if you fear that accident.[/quote]

Thanks! I think I will do that. I was considering tossing out another form 1 and making a bigger, beefier, all SS version of the octane HD and just leaving it on my 300blk.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I always wondered this also since I have an Octane 45 HD in waiting. Surely the 45 HD is a little more forgiving due to its bigger volume.

Even IF the Octanes could handle full power rifle rounds at very slow rates of fire, why would Silencerco advertise it? Or even privately bless it? Word would easily spread and it would eat into sales of their rifle cans.

Specifically wondering about 223/556 in a 20" barrel, and 308 in a 24" barrel.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote:I always wondered this also since I have an Octane 45 HD in waiting. Surely the 45 HD is a little more forgiving due to its bigger volume.

Even IF the Octanes could handle full power rifle rounds at very slow rates of fire, why would Silencerco advertise it? Or even privately bless it? Word would easily spread and it would eat into sales of their rifle cans.

Specifically wondering about 223/556 in a 20" barrel, and 308 in a 24" barrel.
Its not about eating into sales, it is not safe.
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

Liability insurance premiums always trump the potential of competing with yourself!

Bill