Interested in learning more about this stamped baffle

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gixxerpilot750

Interested in learning more about this stamped baffle

Post by gixxerpilot750 »

I'm interested in learning more about a simple stamped steel baffle pictured in the linked article. They appear to be attributed to Phillip Dater. I'd be interested in using them in an integral Buckmark build, but wanted to learn more about them before committing to them. The article mentioned that the baffles, or some similar to them, are in use by some European manufacturers in rimfire suppressors. Does anyone know who's design these are? What manufacturers use them? How well they work?

I don't know how I would manufacture such a baffle, but have been thinking about it and I think I have the semblance of an idea.

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=456

57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Re: Interested in learning more about this stamped baffle

Post by 57fairlane »

They work pretty well from what I recall . . . I want to say the low-mid 120s on the B&K I was using . . . ?

The best stamped baffles for .22 I've metered were the Knight's ones.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

A bunch of manufacturers over the years have used stamped and machined versions of this baffle.

I know noone is using a stamped version however I did just get into a can that uses a machined version.....its why it is in for a recore. Didn't suppress well at all. Think there were 15 of those baffles in the integral .22lr.

Swap them out for K's and the results were phenomenally better.

The manufacturer said it was performing in the range of 120-122dB from a ported integral!!!(Thats not good by the way).
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Bendersquint wrote:A bunch of manufacturers over the years have used stamped and machined versions of this baffle.

I know noone is using a stamped version however I did just get into a can that uses a machined version.....its why it is in for a recore. Didn't suppress well at all. Think there were 15 of those baffles in the integral .22lr.

The manufacturer said it was performing in the range of 120-122dB from a ported integral!!!(Thats not good by the way).
How many did that can use?

The can I am thinking of had at least 15 of those . . . can easily doubled the length of the mark II it was on, more so probably.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

57fairlane wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:A bunch of manufacturers over the years have used stamped and machined versions of this baffle.

How many did that can use?

The can I am thinking of had at least 15 of those . . . can easily doubled the length of the mark II it was on, more so probably.
It had if I recall correctly either 20 or 22 baffles in it.

I think the Brits use a design like that in the Parker Hale moderator. The one I fired would only be considered quiet if you were for the most part deaf.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I remember seeing suppressor kits that used baffles like that pre 86. I think it was lakeside that made them along with others.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Capt. Link. wrote:

I remember seeing suppressor kits that used baffles like that pre 86. I think it was lakeside that made them along with others.
I think that is a picture from the Lakeside Machine website.
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

These are copies of the original Maxim baffle. In rifle calibers, they were supposed to be pretty good. Unlikely that any have ever been metered by modern equipment.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

HandyMan wrote:In rifle calibers, they were supposed to be pretty good. Unlikely that any have ever been metered by modern equipment.
Yes they have been metered!
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Original Maxims?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

HandyMan wrote:Original Maxims?
Yes, original maxims. There are still quite a number of them out there.

I was at one of the tests a few years ago, it was a maxim against a current major manufacturers can on the same gun with the same ammo and the maxim left A LOT to be desired.

Even with that it didn't perform terribly and was closer in performance to one of the bottom rung manufacturers today. Impressive for its time.
gixxerpilot750

Post by gixxerpilot750 »

When you mention Lakeside are you talking about the company that also makes (until the end of the year) the miniature rim-fire beltfeds? If so, the picture on their website is different. I'll attach it below.

That said, I guess I'll have to continue my search for another baffle.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

gixxerpilot750 wrote:When you mention Lakeside are you talking about the company that also makes (until the end of the year) the miniature rim-fire beltfeds? If so, the picture on their website is different. I'll attach it below.

That said, I guess I'll have to continue my search for another baffle.
That was the picture I was thinking of, been a few years since I had seen it.

Yes, they are giving up on the beltfeds.....I always wanted one too!
ak47

Post by ak47 »

gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

silencer parts for sale in UK
https://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdisplay ... 23987&cat=#

the baffles as pictures are for sale in sets of 15
price 15 for 7,23 pounds.

Gunny
gixxerpilot750

Post by gixxerpilot750 »

Thank you for the link and the info. I can see I've got more reading and researching to do. Then again, that's what makes it fun...I'm constantly learning something new and there is always room for improvement.