K baffle question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Shift1
Silent But Deadly

K baffle question

Post by Shift1 »

Not sure if it has been specifically covered before. With regard to the accepted K baffle design, is there a preferred angle for the downstream surface of the plate (.22 cal)?
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Re: K baffle question

Post by gunny50 »

Shift1 wrote:Not sure if it has been specifically covered before. With regard to the accepted K baffle design, is there a preferred angle for the downstream surface of the plate (.22 cal)?

Shift

i'm using 12 degrees on C2 (parallel in and outside)

gunny
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

gunny50 wrote:
Shift1 wrote:Not sure if it has been specifically covered before. With regard to the accepted K baffle design, is there a preferred angle for the downstream surface of the plate (.22 cal)?

Shift

i'm using 12 degrees on C2 (parallel in and outside)

gunny

Excellent presentation with the pictures making it so much easier for someone
not trained to interpret the diagrams.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Historian wrote: Excellent presentation with the pictures making it so much easier for someone
not trained to interpret the diagrams.

Thank you, below the 9mm we did for 30mm tube.

Small, shhhht and very tactical on compacts.

Gunny
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Gunny, what about A2? Is that angle determined by velocity/pressure, or number of baffles you want to fit into a stack?

I'd assume (and yes, I DO know what assuming does...) that you'd want a steeper angle, leading to a longer baffle, for higher velocity/pressure rounds, right?

Byrdman
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

MCKNBRD wrote:Gunny, what about A2? Is that angle determined by velocity/pressure, or number of baffles you want to fit into a stack?

I'd assume (and yes, I DO know what assuming does...) that you'd want a steeper angle, leading to a longer baffle, for higher velocity/pressure rounds, right?

Byrdman

I always use 60 degree on A2, if I want to make them longer I can have a small change in C3, High velocity does not work well with K's, it can be done but Cones or other type's do better with High velocity rounds.
one can change the radius on the frontplate a bit to help gas flowing back in the direction of J closing of the bass stream following the projectile..
Also experimenting with size D1 will help with certain velocities / gas pressures.

Gunny
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Thank you Gunny, Appreciate the info. Very much in the area I was thinking....
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Really cool there Gunny!!!
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

SRM wrote:Really cool there Gunny!!!

Thanks guys, just keep making swarf.