22LR monocore

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

300sniper
Silent Operator

22LR monocore

Post by 300sniper »

I honestly never put much time into learning about suppressors because of the state I live in. When I became an 07 FFL, I also became a class 2 SOT so I can work with local class 3 dealers. Again, without much research, I drew this up and machined it with what I had on hand at the time. This worked pretty good but I think I can improve it now that I've put a little bit of research into suppressor design. I have some ideas I plan on trying in the near future. I have no intention of selling anything here so I am leaving the company name out of this post. I also have no intentions of producing this design but I felt like saying hi and sharing pictures.

And a quick video using CCI standard velocity. The sound on the video doesn't do it justice. http://youtu.be/lIDPiN1bwLI
It's time to switch to whiskey, we've been drinkin' beer all night.
BenY 2013

Re: 22LR monocore

Post by BenY 2013 »

That is amazing! I have a dumb question to ask... In that core what did you use to cut the bore? A long drill? Or drilled in from both sides? I appreciate it very much!

Ben
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Never had much luck drilling from both ends .
Gun barrels are drilled from one end if that helps.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

300sniper:

Sir, kudos for such clean machining, effective staggered
asymmetrical chamber configuration, and elegant form.

Thank you for showing what talent can do with metal.
Your video was a fun view.

Best.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Very nice - what is the clearance between the core and the tube ID? Maybe I'm missing on how it's put together, but can it be assembled without having one of the O-rings rub the entire length of the tube?

It looks like it's installed from the front with no o-ring on the back, then the o-ring is placed on the core at the base end, and assembled with the threaded collar device.
300sniper
Silent Operator

Post by 300sniper »

BenY 2013 wrote:That is amazing! I have a dumb question to ask... In that core what did you use to cut the bore? A long drill? Or drilled in from both sides? I appreciate it very much!

Ben

Using what I had on hand, I drilled it from one end, in the same setup I threaded the ID for the muzzle threads. I started with a screw machine length drill, then a jobber length and finally finished with an aircraft drill. Using the aircraft drill was certainly not ideal since the shank was inside of the bore. I just made sure to use lots of oil and take reasonable pecks and fully retract it to clear the swarf. This netted surprisingly little runout at the opposite end. When I flipped the part to check runout, I pushed a chucking reamer to open it to final size.
300sniper
Silent Operator

Post by 300sniper »

Baffled wrote:Very nice - what is the clearance between the core and the tube ID? Maybe I'm missing on how it's put together, but can it be assembled without having one of the O-rings rub the entire length of the tube?

It looks like it's installed from the front with no o-ring on the back, then the o-ring is placed on the core at the base end, and assembled with the threaded collar device.

There's maybe .005" total diameter clearance. I install the rear O-ring on the core first. I then lube it up and shove the whole thing in to the tube.
300sniper
Silent Operator

Post by 300sniper »

Historian wrote:300sniper:

Sir, kudos for such clean machining, effective staggered
asymmetrical chamber configuration, and elegant form.

Thank you for showing what talent can do with metal.
Your video was a fun view.

Best.
Thanks for the kind words.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Nice can.

Workmanship looks great.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

300sniper wrote:
Baffled wrote:Very nice - what is the clearance between the core and the tube ID? Maybe I'm missing on how it's put together, but can it be assembled without having one of the O-rings rub the entire length of the tube?

There's maybe .005" total diameter clearance. I install the rear O-ring on the core first. I then lube it up and shove the whole thing in to the tube.
Are you saying then that the monocore is a loose slip fit in the tube, and there is no intentional air gap? If that is the case, it is likely that a few hundred rounds could seriously glue the core into the tube, potentially causing damage during disassembly. My last can was also a .22LR monocore, and I designed the core so that there was a 0.020" gap all around it so it basically falls out of the tube. I'm not sure what this gap does for suppression - it may improve it, may make it worse - but it makes cleaning simple.

Just wondering... again, I see some really nice work displayed here! Thank you for sharing.
300sniper
Silent Operator

Post by 300sniper »

Baffled wrote:
300sniper wrote:

Are you saying then that the monocore is a loose slip fit in the tube, and there is no intentional air gap? If that is the case, it is likely that a few hundred rounds could seriously glue the core into the tube, potentially causing damage during disassembly. My last can was also a .22LR monocore, and I designed the core so that there was a 0.020" gap all around it so it basically falls out of the tube. I'm not sure what this gap does for suppression - it may improve it, may make it worse - but it makes cleaning simple.

Just wondering... again, I see some really nice work displayed here! Thank you for sharing.

Yes, it is a loose slip fit between the core and tube.

After 100 rounds of CCI standard velocity, 200 rounds of Agulia standard velocity and approximately 100 rounds of Remington Golden Bullet bulk, there was minimal buildup on the tube. In fact, it was still wet with vegetable oil (what I used to lube the O-rings because I was in the kitchen at the time, LOL). The baffle walls did have some build up though.

Based on what I have seen so far, I think I could go 500 rounds between cleanings using this ammo combo.
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Elkins45 »

I think it looks awesome!

Does the 'nut' extend back over the barrel? It looks like it is longer than the threaded section it fits onto. What thread size are the stub/nut?

I assume the internal thread is 1/2- 28 because the video shows it on an AR.
300sniper
Silent Operator

Post by 300sniper »

Elkins45 wrote:I think it looks awesome!

Does the 'nut' extend back over the barrel? It looks like it is longer than the threaded section it fits onto. What thread size are the stub/nut?

I assume the internal thread is 1/2- 28 because the video shows it on an AR.

Yes, the rear nut extends over the barrel. I was planning on fluting the nut but haven't gotten around to it. The nut is threaded 3/4-16 and the monocore is threaded 1/2-28 for the muzzle.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Nice work!

That looks pretty similar to one I did.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77939

Here is the CNC version that is in limbo right now. The manufacture is dealing with some health issues.

The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.