All titanium can for .22

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

All titanium can for .22

Post by Dr.K »

Rolling around the idea of an all titanium can for .22/rimfire.

Was thinking of an offshoot of the newer style Spectre baffles. cone/spacer combo, with a clipped portion off of the mouth of the cone.

I know the machining will be more difficult, but I've got some hours of making Ti chips under my belt with a couple of 30 cal cans. But, I've never cut the baffles out of Ti.

I am aware of the galling issues with Ti-Ti contact. I'm figuring I'll just keep some anti-sieze on all of those parts. Would there be any other issues to consider?

I should be getting a form1 back this month for a .22 caliber, and am rolling around ideas in my mind. I put 10 inches on the f1, so I've got plenty room to work with.

Have you seen a F1 all titanium in rimfire? I haven't searched yet, but I'm pretty sure it's been done somewhere, just not very common I suspect.
Kyle O.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Re: All titanium can for .22

Post by 57fairlane »

Dr.K wrote: I am aware of the galling issues with Ti-Ti contact. I'm figuring I'll just keep some anti-sieze on all of those parts. Would there be any other issues to consider?
Wouldn't be that worried about the baffles . . . more the thread contact on your tube to end cap.

Class 1.5 :mrgreen: fit tends to be fine
paul463

Post by paul463 »

Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

It'd be sweet, an all Ti, small .22 can.

Baffles aren't that much of a problem. I treat Ti like a nasty stainless, and use turning tools hand-honed to razor sharpness, with an exaggerated rake, and especially a small tip radius. Lowers the cutting pressures massively, and it eliminates skip, rub. Thgen of course you've got to speed and feed slowly, and take your time.

HQ carbide works nicely, too.

Go for it! I'd like to see a Ti can anodized beautifully. Or... titanium is one of the most inert metals known to man. With a Ti can, you could probably dip it in nitric acid to clean! Of course the standard peroxide dip would be a cakewalk.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Baffled wrote:It'd be sweet, an all Ti, small .22 can.

Baffles aren't that much of a problem. I treat Ti like a nasty stainless, and use turning tools hand-honed to razor sharpness, with an exaggerated rake, and especially a small tip radius. Lowers the cutting pressures massively, and it eliminates skip, rub. Thgen of course you've got to speed and feed slowly, and take your time.

Go for it! I'd like to see a Ti can anodized beautifully. Or... titanium is one of the most inert metals known to man. With a Ti can, you could probably dip it in nitric acid to clean! Of course the standard peroxide dip would be a cakewalk.
Beware!!!! The dip damages titanium!
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Bendersquint wrote:
Baffled wrote:It'd be sweet, an all Ti, small .22 can.

I've got this new tool, it's called a "blast cabinet" I filled it with these tiny glass beads, and am going to blast them at my rimfire can internals with compressed air! Should work fantastically! :lol:

Yep, I don't use the dip anymore :D

As far as machining Ti, it was WAY easier than the interweb would have had me believe at first.
Just takes a little practice, as does any skill :wink:

Paul, that can of yours looks great! Exactly-ish, what I have been thinking. ha ha.
Kyle O.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Dr.K wrote: I've got this new tool, it's called a "blast cabinet" I filled it with these tiny glass beads, and am going to blast them at my rimfire can internals with compressed air! Should work fantastically! :lol:

Yep, I don't use the dip anymore :D

As far as machining Ti, it was WAY easier than the interweb would have had me believe at first.

Paul, that can of yours looks great! Exactly-ish, what I have been thinking. ha ha.
Blast cabinets work great, be sure to use a respirator as it will put all the lead dust into the air.

Machining Ti isn't difficult once you find out how it works.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Bendersquint wrote:
Wait, what?!
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Stamp came in today!!!
Kyle O.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Bendersquint wrote:
You may be right, but I'd like to see evidence.

I use titanium as both anodes and cathodes in electrochemical setups to produce chlorates from chlorides.

Using any other metal, including (but not limited to) gold, silver, 316 stainless, copper, etc etc - the electrode crumbles to dust.

The Ti just sits there, fat, dumb, and happy. I have immersed Ti mesh into concentrated nitric, sulfuric, and hydrochloric acid, to clean the smut off of it.

It's damned inert.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I'm starting a new thread asking about dipping and plating. Seems more likely to generate applicable views/posts than .22 thread.
Hope to see you all there today! ;)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Dr.K wrote:
You are very right. I've even seen it posted on this forum (by high post count folks) that you can forget machining Ti unless you have a massive machine. Ti is very machinable, you just have to get used to it and keep the surface speed low.

I'm about to do a mono-core in 6al-4v, the stamp should be back in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

As to the dip question. I've got a bunch of 6al-4v sitting around and I can measure any corrosion that happens over time. I'm very very skeptical that the dip does anything to Ti, but I'll make some up and give it a try.

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Stainless tumbling media. Just got twenty pounds.
I need to get some Ti myself.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I have tested ti in the dip and it damaged the finish on it made pits in it.

Dave at liberty did the same and posted a picture of it oxidizing in the jar.

The dip attacks the aluminum content in the titanium alloy. I tested g5, g9 and g23 ti.

I wish it didnt attack it would make my job a whole lot easier.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Bendersquint wrote:I have tested ti in the dip and it damaged the finish on it made pits in it.

The dip attacks the aluminum content in the titanium alloy. I tested g5, g9 and g23 ti.

Ah, very possible indeed. That makes some sense. I would have expected the aluminum would be disbursed enough to prevent this.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Baffled wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:I have tested ti in the dip and it damaged the finish on it made pits in it.

Ah, very possible indeed. That makes some sense. I would have expected the aluminum would be disbursed enough to prevent this.
The reaction isn't as violent as when rimfire SS baffles are put in the dip but it still bubbles, which means a reaction is happening, and when examining the piece you find small pits.

Can you probably do it hundreds of times before its an issue? Probably, but why do something that you know is damaging it regardless of how fast or slow the damage comes?
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Bendersquint wrote:
Baffled wrote: The reaction isn't as violent as when rimfire SS baffles are put in the dip but it still bubbles, which means a reaction is happening, and when examining the piece you find small pits.

Can you probably do it hundreds of times before its an issue? Probably, but why do something that you know is damaging it regardless of how fast or slow the damage comes?
Dammit. I bought a Ti can purely because I could use the dip. I've only dipped it once, and didn't notice any finish degradation or pits, but I guess I'll just have to clean it sparingly since it's sealed.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Tony M. wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Baffled wrote: The reaction isn't as violent as when rimfire SS baffles are put in the dip but it still bubbles, which means a reaction is happening, and when examining the piece you find small pits.

Dammit. I bought a Ti can purely because I could use the dip. I've only dipped it once, and didn't notice any finish degradation or pits, but I guess I'll just have to clean it sparingly since it's sealed.
There are differing grades of titanium. Some have more aluminum than others. It might be worth a try to dip, but monitor closely. If the tube is the same alloy as the internals, you'd get an idea for what's going on.

Another option is the strength of the dip. I use 27% peroxide from a pool store, and that stuff can burn flesh. If all you're using is 3% drugstore stuff and vinegar, it may still get the job done without damage.

Another option I've always wanted to try - I am big into electrochemistry. When you have a circuit, with the can as the negative (cathode) terminal, it gets what is called cathodic protection. The charge prevents damage. The anode would have to be sacrificial, like another piece of titanium.

5V across the two, both immersed in the dip, would probably do the trick. It's a test worth pursuing.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Tony M. wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Doesn't have to stay sealed!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Baffled wrote:Another option I've always wanted to try - I am big into electrochemistry. When you have a circuit, with the can as the negative (cathode) terminal, it gets what is called cathodic protection. The charge prevents damage. The anode would have to be sacrificial, like another piece of titanium.
5V across the two, both immersed in the dip, would probably do the trick. It's a test worth pursuing.
Cool experiment! Please let us know how it works on a pair of scrap test pieces.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Baffled wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
You may be right, but I'd like to see evidence.

It's damned inert.
Did a test today. Here are the results:

I used 50/50 White Vinegar / 3% Hyrdogen Peroxide on a bar of 6AL-4V (Grade 5) Titanium with a "from the mill" smooth finish. Also as a "control" I used a piece of turned aluminum with a similar Ra finish. Note that the grade of titanium is one of the highest aluminum content alloys.

Here is the before picture of the Titanium bar:

I took pictures throughout the 6 hours I had it in "The Dip". At 3 hours I saw zero bubbles or pitting, so I added a piece of aluminum as a control piece.
Here is the aluminum and titanium in the same bath after the Ti had been in for 6 hours and the Al (6061) had been in for 3 hours.

As you can see the aluminum is bubbling, and when I took it out I could start to see an effect on the surface. There were little "pit" marks where the surface had obviously been changed, here is the best photo I could get of the small marks. They are best seen in the mill-finish section, but are also visible in the turned smooth section.

Here is the 6AL-4V Ti bar, after 6 hours. Close inspection by eye and photo shows no perceivable change in the finish.

The above result is consistent with the observation over the course of 6 hours of no bubbling taking place.

-Jim
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Sorry for the large photos, I wanted to show as much detail as possible.

-Jim
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

kingjamez wrote:Sorry for the large photos, I wanted to show as much detail as possible.

-Jim
Nice!!!

Thanks for the pictures :D
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Yes indeed, thanks for taking the time to give this a shot.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

I'll add my thanks as well.

I was thinking about running a similar experiment next week, and you've saved me the trouble..