All titanium can for .22

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Re: All titanium can for .22

Post by kingjamez »

No problem! I've got a stamp coming back in the next couple of weeks so I wanted to get an answer to the question before I started work.

I'm going to run another test soon where I anodize the Ti then put it in the dip to see if the oxide layer is vulnerable.

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

kingjamez wrote:No problem! I've got a stamp coming back in the next couple of weeks so I wanted to get an answer to the question before I started work.

I'm going to run another test soon where I anodize the Ti then put it in the dip to see if the oxide layer is vulnerable.

-Jim
Try running 7075 turned Al finish and G5 turned Ti finish.

That will mimic our tests on the dip as well. Ti usually comes with a film on it from the mill to prohibit corrosion.

Liberty also tested G5 titanium and has said that it damages and posted a picture on the other forum of it bubbling.

Anodizing Ti doesn't do anything it just changes the color, it doesn't offer any extra protection or anything like anodizing Al does. Just makes it prettier.
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Bendersquint wrote:
kingjamez wrote:No problem! I've got a stamp coming back in the next couple of weeks so I wanted to get an answer to the question before I started work.

-Jim
Try running 7075 turned Al finish and G5 turned Ti finish.

That will mimic our tests on the dip as well. Ti usually comes with a film on it from the mill to prohibit corrosion.

Liberty also tested G5 titanium and has said that it damages and posted a picture on the other forum of it bubbling.

Anodizing Ti doesn't do anything it just changes the color, it doesn't offer any extra protection or anything like anodizing Al does. Just makes it prettier.
Sure, no problem, I'll turn some before the next test.

Anodizing Ti most certainly does do something. It creates an oxide layer, the higher the voltage used, the thicker the oxide layer that is created. It doesn't create the hard surface of aluminum oxide, but it does make a change in the metal.

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Well, my titanium showed up in the mail.....wrong size.

0.875"....was supposed to be 1" diameter.

egay seller has 100% rating, so I bet they'll make it right.
Kyle O.