Merry Xmas all my 300 blk can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

kiwi collector

Merry Xmas all my 300 blk can

Post by kiwi collector »

Merry Xmas to my fellow Silencer talk members.
Non US based so can make cans as I wish with no paperwork required here in NZ
Made a 300 blk can for my AR15 12" barrel, pistol gas, firing subsonic 155g
Spec's are
11" long
1 3/4 OD baffles
5 step cone baffles plus the end cap
S/S flat blast baffle 3/4" from muzzle with a 1-3/4" x 2-3/4" reflex blast area
Alloy construction

Can is hearing safe but I thought it should be better, any idea's on what to change or what I could improve.

image upload no size limit
image hosting
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Re: Merry Xmas all my 300 blk can

Post by MCKNBRD »

I'm far from a .300BLK expert, but most 155gr loads are borderline subsonic; as I understand it, most of the reliable .300BLK subs are 200gr or heavier.

If you're wanting to get the most suppression from it, I'd shorten the reflex area (helps with pressure issues, but doesn't typically do much for suppression), use smooth 60* cones, go to 1/2"-5/8" spacers, and clip the cones. If you shorten the reflex area and shorter spacers, you should be able to stuff a couple more cones in there.

Just some ideas.

Byrdman
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

as stated more 60 degree smooth cones, youll drop weight and get better performance
NP
kiwi collector

Post by kiwi collector »

Thanks for the replys
Made up this can today based on your thoughts
Specs are
11" long
13off 1-1/4 od clipped cone baffles plus end cap
1/2" spacings
1-1/4 x 2" blast area
alloy and s/s construction
screen shot windows
how to do a screenshot on a pc
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Just going from the 'volume is your friend' school of thought, that should be great. The cones should do MUCH better, especially with the vent.

Oh, and make SURE your ammo is subsonic...155gr isn't a popular BLK load, but what I could find about it shows it in the 1500-1700fps range, and that is NOT subsonic. You're going to get a supersonic crack from that load, which will really skew your perception of your can's performance.

Let us know how it works!

Byrdman
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Agreed, fire it up with SUBSONIC ammo... I think you'll be pleased. It certainly has the volume, and the cones look good.

I didn't know New Z was friendly towards AR rifles and the like. Nice! I love the landscape and the people as well. I toyed with the idea of finding work there, but the process seemed pretty daunting.
kiwi collector

Post by kiwi collector »

The 155g are subsonic I handload them to cycle my pistol gas setup with 10.5g of H110 powder at about 950 fps.

The second can is smaller in diameter by 1/2" but the same length as the first can so if this works ok I'll make the new baffles for the first can and see if its extra volume combined with the new baffles makes for a quiet can.

Should the vents be lined up or staggered 180 from each other ?

No problem to own AR's in NZ or anything for that matter just need the correct license

Merry Xmas
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

line them up. thats how the big boys do it.
NP
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

but since your caps are threaded you can play with it.
NP
jarrodl

Post by jarrodl »

Soooo! How did it work?
kiwi collector

Post by kiwi collector »

My apology for not updating the results of the improvements on these cans, the weather has not been helpful and other jobs seem to get in the way.

I changed the larger can to include more cone baffles same as the smaller diameter one and took them both out for a test yesterday.

As I was by myself I had no way of getting a true sound result away from the rifle, I'm disappointed in that it seems loud from the noise coming from the action, it is hearing safe but not the stupid quiet that people talk about with US cans.

I am starting to wonder if I was to load up some heavy weight 240g projectiles and see if this is the secret to being stupid quiet.

I also changed to Winchester 296 powder and this improved the gas blowback in the face and powder residue.

With any luck I will be trying it again in a weeks time, this is a frustrating hobby that I enjoy playing with.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Kiwi, well done, Sir.

Could you kindly explain to my coffee deprived brain what that
black 'push rod' at the bottom of the first photo is and how it is used?
Does that fit into the can somehow?

Many thanks.

Best.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Once you get into "stupid quiet" territory, powder will play a big part in sound. If you have access, you might try some 5744 for your sub-sonic loads.
kiwi collector

Post by kiwi collector »

Historian wrote:Kiwi, well done, Sir.

Could you kindly explain to my coffee deprived brain what that
black 'push rod' at the bottom of the first photo is and how it is used?
Does that fit into the can somehow?

Many thanks.

Best.
That can was a reflex type can in that the barrel extended inside that item, you can make out the ports at the top by the blast baffle for the gas to escape back into the lower part.

It is sort of a combined muzzle brake, blast baffle, barrel isolation tube in one

This item was pressed inside the can to seat against the bottom threaded plug and then the baffles and spacers are placed on top
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

kiwi collector wrote: I'm disappointed in that it seems loud from the noise coming from the action, it is hearing safe but not the stupid quiet that people talk about with US cans.
I might have missed it, but do you have experience with other calibers, rifles, and suppressors? It's VERY common for someone suppressor-naive to be disappointed. When I'm on the range with a nice .22 + can, and an observer who has never heard one before is watching, it's pretty normal for them to say "Hmm. That's not that quiet." Because they think a silenced gun should sound like that stupid "Pzuff" they have in assassin movies.

In other words, do you have an accurate "mental baseline" for what they should sound like?
kiwi collector

Post by kiwi collector »

Baffled wrote:
kiwi collector wrote: I'm disappointed in that it seems loud from the noise coming from the action, it is hearing safe but not the stupid quiet that people talk about with US cans.
I might have missed it, but do you have experience with other calibers, rifles, and suppressors? It's VERY common for someone suppressor-naive to be disappointed. When I'm on the range with a nice .22 + can, and an observer who has never heard one before is watching, it's pretty normal for them to say "Hmm. That's not that quiet." Because they think a silenced gun should sound like that stupid "Pzuff" they have in assassin movies.

In other words, do you have an accurate "mental baseline" for what they should sound like?
I mess about with alot of suppressed .22, 9mm, 45acp rifles, so I know what I think is quiet in a suppressed shot, but suppressing rifle bullets looks to be a different game.

I have about 30 cans on rifles and pistols all of these are mine that I have machined up, about 5 others bought from manufactures .22's mainly.

I have made mostly .22, 9mm, 45acp, 32acp,

My bolt guns sound alot better than semi auto to the shooter due to ear position, which is why I said as the shooter it sounded loud, will know more this week when I give it to others to shoot while I stand away from it.

Am trying to get a ase utra .30 suppressor to base line my results against which has a know suppression rating
kiwi collector

Post by kiwi collector »

Jinajon wrote:Hi from down under! What part of NZ do you hail from? I'm just starting a can for my H&K SL8, so its nice to see there are fellow nutters here, not just in the States!
You said you were "disappointed in that it seems loud from the noise coming from the action." If the action is your loudest noise, aren't you on the money?
Just a thought, you could upload a youtube video and post the link. I know youtube never does the sound justice, but it would give us an idea, especially the more experienced ears here.
Hello Jinajon, New Plymouth NI, there is quite a few NZ's on this site but most look and learn rather than post.

Have a few clips of my stuff shooting but you really can't go by the sound, it sounds bloody great but it is not something that gives true meaning to the gun shot sound.

One of the test's that I do with a new can is to fire suppressed rounds in a basement which is concrete block construction with floor, ceiling and walls and if it sounds reasonably quiet down there then it will be better outside.

I am only interested in subsonic shooting, which is why I have not machined rifle caliber cans before, the sonic crack from full power loads is not suppressed shooting to me.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Jinajon wrote:My best man recently made a 7" mono core for his .22 Hornet, the result is pretty close to a "click-thwit - thud" when firing factory subs. I was impressed.
Being a military man though, I see centerfire slightly differently: When heard from anywhere other than behind the rifle, the sonic crack is actually very confusing because you can't tell where the sound (and therefore the bullet) is coming from. So I use it to my advantage, especially when hunting.
I totally concur. Most animals will just look up and around for moving predators to see if all is still safe. (Same with Deer Whistles that mount to automobile front bumpers.)
If you are still and quiet. They wonder, "I wonder why Fred is taking a nap? Oh well, Sheilla is all mine tonight!"
Since the snap isn't in their usual experience, the have no referrence that it signals a threat. So, no approaching predator, no growl or slipping of loose soil under a sneaky predator or rival's feet = no threat, return to eating.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
whispershot

Post by whispershot »

Am trying to get a ase utra .30 suppressor to base line my results against which has a know suppression rating
Kiwi, mate; do you have an update on your 300BLK cans? I'm curious to know if you were able to modify either of them so that you're pleased with them. I'd like to make a .30 cal can for a 300 blackout AR (shooting strictly subsonic ammo), and I was thinking of K baffles until I saw your thread. Did you ever get your clipped cones to work well with subsonic loads?

The builds look great by the way. If design and appearance count, they should sound great!
kiwi collector

Post by kiwi collector »

Latest update is I imported a couple of molds from the USA and have cast some 247g lead projectiles to try hopefully this weekend.

I bought an ARSE UTRA .30 cal can to try a side by side comparison and both of my cans are quite noticeable better in sound according to the group of people who were present.

With any luck I will be able to conclude that these two cans are indeed good enough as is and any further work on them i may not be able to hear, I will keep you posted.
ODL

Post by ODL »

If you want to meter your can, Kiwi, bring it over to Tauranga sometime and we can run them over the meter. Nice job on the build!
Oceania-Defence.com
kiwi collector

Post by kiwi collector »

Hello ODL,
Good to see you on here, I will send you some of these 247g projectiles after my casting guy brew's up a larger batch in a few weeks time as per my offer on sportshooter forum to test with your cans with your meter.