Interesting .22LR Micro Can build...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cms81586
Silent Operator

Re: Interesting .22LR Micro Can build...

Post by cms81586 »

Historian wrote:
cms81586 wrote:I'll be testing the tube/baffles in a week or so once finished. I'll test it dry and wet...wipes and none. Going to start with some vinyl at first for wipes and see what else it out there as well. I'm not sure what kind of affect the wipe will have on accuracy. Obviously it's not going to produce tack driving accuracy, but from what I've witnessed on other wiped .22LR cans, it's good enough for 15-20yd shots on cans. If the baffles disappoint, I'll try milling out a monocore and see how that goes.
Thank you for sharing this interesting project.
Being an impatient reader did I miss the diameter of the can
somewhere?

Your design does bring up a question that I have not seen mentioned ... given
your final constant volume for the can, would making a can say 1/3 the diameter and
longer with more K-s decrease db's? Intuition says most likely but does anyone
have empirical data?

As for wipes a candidate you might consider is silicone cooking pads from
say William Sonoma. The thickness is in the range of the wipes once seen
in a Chi-Com SMG; easy to cut by tracing around the end of a pressed K, and it
handles high temps easily ... no burned kitchen counters, etc.

Really nice shots.

Best.

Appreciate the insight on wipe materials. Ill try some cut silicone pad along with vinyl. As to the can diameter...ill take pics but it looks good on my Ruger MK III 22/45. Not sure how much smaller diameter I could go while keeping the can 3"-3 1/2" in length. If this works out ill try some .875" tube in a similar length.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

cms81586 wrote:Appreciate the insight on wipe materials. Ill try some cut silicone pad along with vinyl. As to the can diameter...ill take pics but it looks good on my Ruger MK III 22/45. Not sure how much smaller diameter I could go while keeping the can 3"-3 1/2" in length. If this works out ill try some .875" tube in a similar length.
Do it! DO IT!!!

(I have a Mk III 22/45 that I'm considering this VERY project for...)

Also, could you do an informal test on accuracy? I'd love to know how much wipes REALLY hurt accuracy...the accuracy level I'm looking for is squirrel head size targets out to about 75 yards...

Byrdman
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

MCKNBRD wrote:...the accuracy level I'm looking for is squirrel head size targets out to about 75 yards...

Byrdman
Not asking for much. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

doubloon wrote:
MCKNBRD wrote:...the accuracy level I'm looking for is squirrel head size targets out to about 75 yards...

Byrdman
Hey, I've got 10/22s that I do that with now...and we have squirrels that are cleaning out the feeders where I hunt. :x :twisted:

I've got an F1 for a 7" .22LR can, and accuracy will be most important with it...but I like the idea of getting a micro can and using it, if I can. Wiped works better, but I'd like the can to be 'good enough' without wipes.

I know I'm asking a lot, but, heck, I'm building it, so I can set my goals as high as I want, right? :lol: :wink:

Byrdman
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

My 10/22 and my Savage will do the same thing with the Spectre but probably not through a wipe. :D

But if you can coerce someone into making a top performing teeny tiny can (wiped or not) with no accuracy loss I would eagerly join your band wagon to purchase it.

It would be a game changer. :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Small .22 wet cans have been made commercially in the past that were very quiet on pistols.While in service I shot the WOX-1 aka Hush Puppy that was nothing but wipes and the accuracy was not spectacular but the suppression was very good.The S&W pistol went from a reliable 2.00" group at 25 yards to about 5.00" + at the same range same ammo 170gr subsonic FMJs.
A very good wipe material can be made from a wetsuit a little grease adds to the suppression and increases life of the wipe.A good wet mix is lemon oil,water, lanolin, and borax.I would add the old school mouse hole and possibly a Dater to each baffle.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

doubloon wrote:My 10/22 and my Savage will do the same thing with the Spectre but probably not through a wipe. :D

But if you can coerce someone into making a top performing teeny tiny can (wiped or not) with no accuracy loss I would eagerly join your band wagon to purchase it.

We're thinking on the same lines...And I'll 'coerce' myself into doing that can shortly.

Still gotta work out the wiring and crap in the basement to get the mill/lathe set up and running. Then get my currently applied for stamps back. Then get more on the way.

Byrdman
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

Got it together today...VERY pleased with how it sounds on a rifle. Dare I say little discernible difference from my pilot and sparrow out in the open, which are quite a bit larger. It's louder than I want on the pistol...but haven't shot it wet or wiped yet so we'll see...

Video on both the rifle and pistol:
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/cms81586/media/VID-20140107-00007_zpsa6086d6a.mp4.html

Last edited by cms81586 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

doubloon wrote:My 10/22 and my Savage will do the same thing with the Spectre but probably not through a wipe. :D

Doubloon,

The can performs very very very well dry without wipes on a rifle. Might have found the purpose of a can this size....
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

cms81586 wrote:Got it together today...VERY pleased with how it sounds on a rifle. Dare I say little discernible difference from my pilot and sparrow out in the open, which are quite a bit larger. It's louder than I want on the pistol...but haven't shot it wet or wiped yet so we'll see...

Video on both the rifle and pistol:
http://s2.photobucket.com/user/cms81586/media/VID-20140107-00007_zpsa6086d6a.mp4.html

+2!

Standing round of ovations. Excellent throughout the whole process. And the pleasant results
to boot. Great starting point for your doubling the length for the pistol and comparing.

Best.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

AWESOME!!!

Now, I just need to get a stamp on the way for one of these...

Keep us posted as you tweak & test!

Byrdman
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Without the wipe it sounds like you made something similar to the
old Gem-Tech LDES or the original micro 22 can from AWC.

Al Paulson's books had some good write ups on these cans and DB readings.

Would like to see close ups of the front end cap and how you machined it for the wipe.
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

Shot it today with wipes. Wiped and wet (with wire pulling gel) , it was very comparable to my AAC Pilot. Not great but acceptable. I did experience some bullet destabilization with the rubber gasket wipe (2 out of 15 shots). I'm going to try a few other materials including vinyl to see if it will punch through the wipe cleaner. Here's an accuracy comparison. About the same except for the one flier that gave an oblong bullet hole (top left hole on the left target). Not bad for 15yds out of a Ruger MK III. I'll try shooting it wiped out of the rifle to see how it does, but honestly it's quiet enough on the rifle that it's not necessary. I grabbed a box of 50 that I had apparently shot 1/2 of already, so I shot 15 wiped and 10 more without, informally offhand.

CThomas, I'll see if I can find some of Paulson's books. Thanks for the heads up. I'll get you some pics of the front endcap shortly.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Nice - I have no experience with wipes, but I would guess that the first handful of shots through the wipe would be the LEAST accurate. Once the hole gets formed a bit, accuracy goes up.

So maybe the idea would be to install a wipe, even a solid one, no cuts, then put 5 rounds through it. THEN test for accuracy. I'll bet it'll be pretty close to non-wiped.
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

I agree. I think the material plays a part in it too. The rubber matting I got has a lot of elasticity, much like a bicycle inner tube. I'm going to try something a little stiffer like one of the silicone pot pads Historian recommended as well.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Updates? Have you braved the weather to further our knowledge? :wink:

:lol:
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

Braved the weather? It was 78* here yesterday in sunny AZ. Best part about winter is watching it from Arizona. Otherwise, no updates as of late. Working on stuffing a 5th baffle in there and hopefully adding less than 1/4" to the OAL. Trying to get better performance out of it on the pistol without a wipe. Been busy with a few other projects and haven't had time to get on the lathe much. Got more material sitting ready to go...just have to find the time...
ShotgunSally

Post by ShotgunSally »

Are there any sound or pressure level measurements?
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

cms81586 wrote:Braved the weather? It was 78* here yesterday in sunny AZ. Best part about winter is watching it from Arizona.
:shock: :? :cry:

Otherwise, no updates as of late. Working on stuffing a 5th baffle in there and hopefully adding less than 1/4" to the OAL. Trying to get better performance out of it on the pistol without a wipe. Been busy with a few other projects and haven't had time to get on the lathe much. Got more material sitting ready to go...just have to find the time...
Cool. I'd wonder if you could shorten the blast chamber a little and make more room for the extra baffle...

Keep us posted! I'm saving my sheckles for my next stamp!

Byrdman
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Very interesting project. I like this one :)
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

CMV wrote:Very interesting project. I like this one :)
[yodavoice]
Work together we should. Blatantly copy his idea, we can.
[/yodavoice]
Keep raking them sheckles together...now, do I SBR a 10/22 or do another can on the next stamp...

Byrdman
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

doubloon wrote:

Byrdman
As a calibration point, I have used my Reising H&R M65 with a scope on it
and come pretty close to that accuracy. Rifle is more accurate than off handed
shooter.

I gained more control with a bipod on the front for the fun of it.

For those not familiar with the WW II trainer ( As heavy as a Garand ) please look at:

<< http://www.google.com/search?q=M65+rat+ ... 61&bih=987 >>.

Added historical information for the curious:

<< http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... ner)/page3 >>
rancilio

Post by rancilio »

cms81586 wrote:Braved the weather? It was 78* here yesterday in sunny AZ. Best part about winter is watching it from Arizona.
Great thread. Thanks. Have you experimented or compared with/to an Xcaliber micro?

Where in AZ are you? I am way down south.
A southern Arizona SOT - www.quiettimesports.com
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

MCKNBRD wrote:
CMV wrote:Very interesting project. I like this one :)
[yodavoice]
Work together we should. Blatantly copy his idea, we can.
[/yodavoice]
Keep raking them sheckles together...now, do I SBR a 10/22 or do another can on the next stamp...

Byrdman
It'd be hard for me to justify a SBR 10/22 when Chargers are under $300 so I know what I'd choose. But that's me & I don't have an unhealthy fascination with 10/22's :).
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

Turned some baffles in 304 this week. Going for a slightly different configuration with porting the K's. Waiting on a 1/4" ball end mill bit to do the work. Won't be anything earth shattering but should increase durability. I'm thinking of tig welding it up. All stainless...no reason not to and just dip the thing when it needs cleaned. Ill post pics shortly.