Cool projects that you have done.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cool projects that you have done.

Post by Baffled »

Wow, that is Art! :shock: Cedar strips? Beautifully executed.

I'd love to work more with wood. It's hard to have both a wood and metal shop unless you have two separate buildings, or rooms at least, because the wood dust doesn't mix well with machine tools. It's hard enough to keep metal free from rust!

Well done!
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

Thanks! It's actually redwood with mahogany and ash trim.
I hear you about the dust. I'm still finding red sanding dust in my garage nearly a year later
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

ImageOuch! THat looks like the clippers the Mohel used at my Bris.
Thankfully he left SOMETHING still attached. :lol:

Is it too soon to inject humor into the thread?
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

That thing looks like a prototype weapon for a Robot Wars entry.

My full-on Dork is showing... my kids and I loved Robot Wars. There was one entrant that ruled them all, a wedge-shaped guy with a super-low front end, and a hardened steel scorpion tail. He'd dash in, get underneath the enemy, then activate the tail. This dude installed a potent little hydraulic pack, and that hardened steel tail would simply cut the other robot almost in half.

You'd watch months of work being cut in two by what is basically a hydraulic shear.

Found it:
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

whiterussian1974 wrote:ImageOuch! THat looks like the clippers the Mohel used at my Bris.
Thankfully he left SOMETHING still attached. :lol:

Is it too soon to inject humor into the thread?
Never!! :)

It makes a Vas Deferens who uses it ... never allow a Cut Up to
Get a Grip.
[/quote]

Especially if you hear Urethra Franklin songs playing in the background.

You will always be able to identify No-El the Moh-El's work:
he Cuts on the Bias.

Is this what the Empty Suit And Chief means by Having Skin In The Game??

Ouch, the unkindest cut of all. :) :)

Also, compliments on the tool, impressive execution.

Your ball peen hammer reminded me of a sign on the wall of the Institute's
machine shop in 1956:

DO NOT FORCE IT! JUST USE A BIGGER HAMMER.
phil

Post by phil »

Baffled
This is you right?

http://www.5bears.com/tprop.htm

Man have I lost some time reading your site. Thanks for taking you personal time to produce that site so I could use it to inspire kids in a machining summer camp I used to teach. I sent some of the better students to your site to read about what might be possible with their skills if they tried hard enough.

Not to mention the turboprop captured my mind for a while as well. I knew I would never make one, but I just love reading about these sort of projects. I will throw up my contribution to some machining pics when I get home. I am away in Singapore on business at this time.

Thank You,
Philip Mac Duffie
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

That's me, Phil, and thanks. I'm glad to hear people have enjoyed the site.

It was a lot of fun putting up the projects as they came along, but I found towards the end I was spending more time working on the web site than I was in the shop, and I got a bit burned out.

It's funny, the earlier projects all have tiny pictures, because those were put up in the days of 28.8 dial-up connections!

Maybe one of these days I'll resurrect it and make it fresh again.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Baffled wrote:That's me, Phil, and thanks. I'm glad to hear people have enjoyed the site.

It was a lot of fun putting up the projects as they came along, but I found towards the end I was spending more time working on the web site than I was in the shop, and I got a bit burned out.

It's funny, the earlier projects all have tiny pictures, because those were put up in the days of 28.8 dial-up connections!

I have enjoyed that site as well, it gave me some ideas fr some of my projects in the past.

Glad to put a "name" to the site!
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

I saw the turboprop and the miniature radial years ago when I was doing my pilot training, and learning everything aviation.

I got a kick out of realizing that it was baffled from silencertalk!

Props to your skills sir (pun intended) :wink:
Kyle O.
phil

Post by phil »

@Baffled

I do alot of racecar type work and I always say we will document and photograph it all for human consumption and we never do. Hell when I travel I take tons of landscape and art photos. Just did 566 shots at the Louvre in France. I barely find the time to filter and edit those to post. So, with that in mind I can respect the tremendous work the website takes. Maybe I can find the time to get some of my stuff on line. Not in the effort of e-peen measurement, but maybe someone can learn from my setup or fixtures. Surely all of us in the machining community can appreciate a creative fixture or tool when we see one.

Philip
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Not a high-precision job, nor one that is gun-related. But it was fun.

A year or so ago I found a John Deere plow blade on Craig’s List. It wasn’t designed for my LA130, and I don’t even know if I got all the parts (but the important ones seemed to be there).

This recent snow got me thinking. This little blade and my tractor may (or may not) do what I want it to do ... but it certainly isn't doing me any good on the basement floor!

Step 1 – bolt a couple ¼” thick plates to the frame
Step 2 – weld the support arms to the plates, ensuring they are below the steering linkage.
Step 3 – Cut a couple pieces of channel Iron and a piece of 2” square tube – weld them together and make a little ‘tube bumper’ in the front
Step 4 – A couple pieces of angle welded to the support arms and bolted to the bottom of the square add to the support of the blade.
Step 5 – Jump up and down on the whole thing to make sure it Is strong enough

Then design a lift mechanism
Step 6 – weld a piece of pipe to the left side of the ¼ in plate in step 1
Step 7 – make a handle from scratch.

I’d love to say that I’ve tried it and it works great. When I was into this project, I saw that both of my front tires wobbled on the steering spindles. I took off the right side and found two grooves in the spindle where the wheel rubs it. The outside groove is over 60% worn through. I found a guy selling a complete front axle on eBay and it is on the way. I won’t test the blade until I get the new spindles on.

The worst thing about this type of project – you don’t know if the mower/tractor has the power to make use of the blade until you get it mounted. By then, you had to do all the work to get it mounted. I originally bought it to smooth out the gravel on the drive when the UPS and FedEx trucks make ruts while trying to back up.

So - this is it

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Nice! I would have KILLED for that thing as a boy growing up in Northern Illinois.

I hope it has the power you're looking for. I'd be concerned those tires are going to spin and not deliver traction in the snow. Is there such a thing as a snow tire for a John Deere tractor?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Baffled wrote:I hope it has the power you're looking for. I'd be concerned those tires are going to spin and not deliver traction in the snow. Is there such a thing as a snow tire for a John Deere tractor?
Now you need to post pics of your catapillar Snocat tracks WhisperFan.

Can we expect to see this as an escape atv on Doomsday Preppers? (Spoiler: you'll need to add a grilled hood scoop and forced air induction.)

Cool Build WhisperFan. :)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Baffled wrote:I'd be concerned those tires are going to spin and not deliver traction in the snow. Is there such a thing as a snow tire for a John Deere tractor?
I don't think so - but they make chains and wheel weights! That might work. The engine is a 22hp, so it probably has the power, if I can keep the tires from spinning.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan wrote:
doubloon wrote:Looks more like miniature artillery gear ... knobs everywhere.

I like the wood prototype in the background
This is a rimfire benchrest I am making. You can see a wood mock-up on the bench here too. I like working things out in wood before I start making metal parts.

I always laugh when I hear someone say that they want to buy a lathe to build a suppressor, thinking they can just buy the lathe and the materials and start making the suppressor. I probably have 2xs the cost of my lathe in tooling and measuring, set-up, and lay-out tools. :D
The rimfire rest is finished ... but I haven't had it on the range yet. I'm sure it will do what I need it to.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

It is mostly 5/8" aluminum, the steel has been parkerized and there is a little stainless in there too.

The upper plate rides on bearings, and can be adjusted and locked in place.

both screws for movement are acme threads

I work from my ideas, and what is in my head, so I don't draw up plans in advance. It leads to occasional mistakes, but that is the way I do most work. I might start a new thread to show the rifle I built that this rest holds, but it has nothing to do with suppressors.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

WhisperFan wrote:...
The rimfire rest is finished ... but I haven't had it on the range yet. I'm sure it will do what I need it to.
Looks nice, I hope you have a rifle that can hold zero as well as the rest. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Here is the rifle that the rest was built for.

A range report will follow on the rifle rebuild thread, when I get a chance to shoot it!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=123796
BigBoyToyz

Post by BigBoyToyz »

Bendersquint wrote:
Baffled wrote:That's me, Phil, and thanks. I'm glad to hear people have enjoyed the site.
I have enjoyed that site as well, it gave me some ideas fr some of my projects in the past.
Glad to put a "name" to the site!
Exactly what I was going to say!
A bit inevitable to escape from like minded individuals though.
It seems I run into them more often than you think.

I work with micro uavs now.
You can get an idea of some projects by watching these competitor videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUeGC-8dyk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NruCizJ1-WM
SER

Post by SER »

I worked as a machinist for fifteen years after high school. There is some impressive s--t here, My hat is off to all who contributed to the thread.
Never mistake my silence for submission