Cool projects that you have done.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Eyes Of Death

Re: Cool projects that you have done.

Post by Eyes Of Death »

Nothing special just a plastic injection mold with +or- .001 tolerance.
They say; Idle hands do the devil’s work. So what’s my excuse?
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

@Whisperfan, if I didn't say it before, I'll do it now, or again... your rests are beautiful pieces of work. I know the care and effort that went into them. And the crisp corners, the knurling, fit & finish, everything associated with the adjustments, reminds me of fine Swiss tooling and fixturing. You can be very proud!

@EoD; always loved mold work. Love the way the female cavity is brought to an insane finish. You could take those molds and frame them, put them in a museum. Awesome work.

One thing it reminded me of... there was a guy on eBay years ago - he may still be there - that sold the aluminum cuts, odds & ends, that went into those molds. They called it "fortal" aluminum, basicaly 7075-T6. He sold boxes of assorted pieces for pretty cheap, and that s--t is GLORIOUS to machine and makes some truly awesome parts. It's my favorite metal, bar none.

I've turned mold aluminum into that sharpening machine I posted earlier, turned it into guns, many, many other things. Made me a fan of 7075 in general.

Q for you... are those shallow channels cut to expel air from the mold during filling?
Eyes Of Death

Post by Eyes Of Death »

Baffled Yes the .001 DOC are the air bleeds. This mold is hard to set up and run. I think i need more or wider air channels. This mold runs LDPE and it flashes with to much injection pressure.

And this is the Fortal 7075
They say; Idle hands do the devil’s work. So what’s my excuse?
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Thanks! Is there a significant difference between the "Fortal" aluminum, and regular ol' 7075-T6?