Awesome home anodizing setup.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Awesome home anodizing setup.

Post by joe0121 »

Doubles as a table when not is use. This will be awesome for those of us working with Ti. and Ai. for Form 1 suppressors.

Build thread:
http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,9113.0.html

Video of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYHcsq7s5A

I am going to start buying PID's and solid state controllers in bulk there are at least 3 projects I have on the back burner that use them.
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Awesome home anodizing setup.

Post by joe0121 »

Very informative E-Book

http://www.uponone.com/howtos/1.pdf
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

This is a very nice setup for a small business or serious hobbyist.
A person can get by with far less but this is a sweet setup.
When done would you please set a link up on Historians Resource Page.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=115318
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Tag
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

Capt. Link. wrote:This is a very nice setup for a small business or serious hobbyist.
A person can get by with far less but this is a sweet setup.
When done would you please set a link up on Historians Resource Page.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=115318
Done.

This guy uses a hi temp sealing method. The ebook shows a cold seal method. I am researching Anodizing Ti to adjust it to a similar yet much smaller setup. In actuality I plan on using his fish tank air pump and heater idead an adapt it to a much larger storage tote for use de-greasing parts and rust removal.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

I've been toying with the idea of home anodizing for years. I've got the temperature controller, several power supplies (which could end up being the most expensive part) - even have a roll of sheet lead I picked up at a flea market, which will line a tank and form a nice electrode.

I practiced on a few small pieces, and it always failed at the color stage for me. I'd get a nice plain oxide coating, but the colors were uneven.

After a few of those, I was scared to try a nice, finished part. But this is a great resource, and now I'm tempted to try again!

I wish hard anodizing, like found on an AR lower, is within the reach of a home shop, but it's a lot trickier to do right.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

I want one!
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

Baffled wrote:I've been toying with the idea of home anodizing for years. I've got the temperature controller, several power supplies (which could end up being the most expensive part) - even have a roll of sheet lead I picked up at a flea market, which will line a tank and form a nice electrode.

I practiced on a few small pieces, and it always failed at the color stage for me. I'd get a nice plain oxide coating, but the colors were uneven.

After a few of those, I was scared to try a nice, finished part. But this is a great resource, and now I'm tempted to try again!

I wish hard anodizing, like found on an AR lower, is within the reach of a home shop, but it's a lot trickier to do right.
I am sure like all things it takes practice. I spent months researching cerakote application and it still took me three attempts to get a decent result.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Also, surface prep (like for a fine bluing) and degreasing, is everything. And anyone who has tried stuff like bluing knows it is a messy PITA to do it RIGHT.
JFettig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JFettig »

has anyone done any research on Type III or Hardcoat anodizing? I haven't spent a lot of time looking into the process but most of what I design gets hard coat anodized. Its a real pain to get controlled parts anodized so I'm curious what it takes.

I haven't spent a lot of time searching, just some misc searches from time to time, the only thing I found different is here: http://www.arrowcryogenics.com/hard-coa ... dizing.htm, they're local to me, they say 32F and a pretty high current density.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

I've looked at it a bit. The temperature is the problem. You need a refrigerated tank to do it correctly.

The salt water aquarium trade has chillers that consist of a titanium probe that you could immerse in the tank, and the refrigerent runs right through the probe, but these are scary expensive. Possibly one could convert a mini-fridge into a tank.

Maybe the easiest answer would to be run a lengthy SS or titanium coil through the tank, and plumb that coil into a huge vat of heavily salted and iced water, or maybe a dry-ice ethanol or acetone bath, but in the latter case, now you've got to pump that solvent through the coils.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

JFettig wrote:has anyone done any research on Type III or Hardcoat anodizing? I haven't spent a lot of time looking into the process but most of what I design gets hard coat anodized. Its a real pain to get controlled parts anodized so I'm curious what it takes.

I haven't spent a lot of time searching, just some misc searches from time to time, the only thing I found different is here: http://www.arrowcryogenics.com/hard-coa ... dizing.htm, they're local to me, they say 32F and a pretty high current density.
What controlled parts are you talking about a pain getting anodized? We anodize NFA all the time.
JFettig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JFettig »

One or two prototypes, etc. Lots aren't a problem. I'm personally not fully aware the logistics and laws around all this stuff when it comes to outsourcing stuff and marking variances, I leave that to the shop owner :) If you are willing to shed some light on this, please send me a PM
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Bendersquint wrote: What controlled parts are you talking about a pain getting anodized? We anodize NFA all the time.
Bendersquint, you're still (hopefully) going to be my "go to" guy when my .22 belt fed project needs anodizing. I really want a quality hard-coat job.

I emailed U.S. Anodizing twice, before I found out you also did the work, and they (the U.S. guys) never bothered to reply. Kind of put me off.

The only other option is a soft coat anodize. Most cities have more than a few outfits that do the work, but for controlled parts like receivers, there'd be legal issues. I wonder if they can do it if you wait there while it's done? Probably not.