Where do you start?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

44Dave

Where do you start?

Post by 44Dave »

OK, so I'd like to make my own 9mm silencer for a sbr. The problem is I'm no engineer, and not even a machinist. I've taken the adult education How To Run a Lathe class and I can get some lathe time in my FIL's garage (who's been a machinist longer than Ive been alive, so I know I can get technical help). I'm willing to jump through all the legal hoops to do it, but I don't really want to pay for a stamp if I don't know what to make. I can't design a can, but I can follow someone else's plans. So, is there some kind of list of proven designs floating around a person can filch off of? Again, I'm ok with sending the ATF $200 for the stamp, and waiting for it to come back, I just want to judge what kind of success I would have before I hand it over. Nothing makes Dave sader than wasting his $200.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Where do you start?

Post by Capt. Link. »

44Dave wrote:OK, so I'd like to make my own 9mm silencer for a sbr. The problem is I'm no engineer, and not even a machinist. I've taken the adult education How To Run a Lathe class and I can get some lathe time in my FIL's garage (who's been a machinist longer than Ive been alive, so I know I can get technical help). I'm willing to jump through all the legal hoops to do it, but I don't really want to pay for a stamp if I don't know what to make. I can't design a can, but I can follow someone else's plans. So, is there some kind of list of proven designs floating around a person can filch off of? Again, I'm ok with sending the ATF $200 for the stamp, and waiting for it to come back, I just want to judge what kind of success I would have before I hand it over. Nothing makes Dave sader than wasting his $200.
If you have a machinist in law that has interest in guns (many do) I would say you have a 100% chance of making a suppressor you will be pleased with.

:arrow: How long did you list for the can for!
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
44Dave

Post by 44Dave »

Capt. Link. wrote:If you have a machinist in law that has interest in guns (many do) I would say you have a 100% chance of making a suppressor you will be pleased with.
Yes, I'm pretty sure my technical work will be good enough with him looking over my shoulder, but he doesn't have an idea of how to design one either. He was getting some internals pictures of Maxim's silencer out of a dictionary - I'd like to think we've made some advances since then.

I'm wondering if I can use the same basic design as the .22lr silencer I picked up, maybe scaled up for the 9mm pressure. I wouldn't think the pressures there would be excessive; it's not a rifle round after all. But I really don't know, myself.
Not sure what you mean here.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

44Dave wrote:
Not sure what you mean here.
He means you don't need plans on your Form 1. Just a length.

Decide whatever length you want and send it in . . . you can think of baffle/end cap designs while you wait :mrgreen:
44Dave

Post by 44Dave »

I see; I haven't filed yet. Trying to plan a bit before I file.
44Dave

Post by 44Dave »

Can I over estimate the length and make it shorter? Or do they really lock you down with that?
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

44Dave wrote:Can I over estimate the length and make it shorter? Or do they really lock you down with that?
You can make it shorter just not longer.

Look through the completed Form1 thread. From that thread alone you will be able to
figure it all out.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

The length of the suppressor depends on design and the host.How long is your barrel and what action type is it.Do you wish a integral or a detachable suppressor.A integral can be ported for velocity control while a detachable unit will need to be fed subsonic ammo for it to be quiet.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
44Dave

Post by 44Dave »

Anticipated host is an 9m AR type pistol, blowback (no gas system), with 7" barrel. Planning a screw on attachment to fit under handguard (1.8" ID I believe).
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Dave, your machinist buddy can do some work on it if you are there, so long as YOU retain control and possession of all of the parts at the end of the day. IOW, don't leave the parts at his place overnight.

To make a superb, commercial-grade silencer is hard; that's why companies spend big $$ on R & D. To make a nice silencer you will be happy with is NOT hard.

I may have missed it, but do you have experience with real silencers? A lot of new guys (me included) form a mental image based on hollyweird, and silencer reality is very different. So-called "hollywood quiet", the "pzzzt" mouse fart, is really only attainable with a good .22LR can preferably mounted on a bolt gun, using subsonic ammo. 9mm and rifle cans are very different and much louder.

It is considered a good job when a rifle caliber suppressed weapon is hearing-safe, meaning no muffs. But it's by no means "Silenced."
44Dave

Post by 44Dave »

Roger that, I've been around silencers before so no hollywood misconceptions.
Also, I actually want to make this myself. I'm really just wanting to use my machinist FIL as a resource to plan how I would accomplish this myself. That's really half the point of trying this myself instead of just purchasing another one.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

44Dave wrote:Also, I actually want to make this myself. I'm really just wanting to use my machinist FIL as a resource to plan how I would accomplish this myself. That's really half the point of trying this myself instead of just purchasing another one.
Understood, and you can certainly do that. I just wanted to point out that he can help as necessary, even make parts, so long as you're there.

Good luck, get that F1 filed. Use eForms, it's supposedly faster. Then, while you wait, you can research and plan, and source materials.