Need some ideas for front end cap/wipe.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

friendlysniper

Need some ideas for front end cap/wipe.

Post by friendlysniper »

Rather than invest in a lathe, I'm thinking about using a maglite body, cutting the end off of it and using a 4130 steel monocore. I can use these "solvent trap adapters" (does anyone actually use these things to collect solvent? lol.. sounds like a bad idea) that they sell on ebay for the end cap to mount the suppressor, but I am not too sure what to use for the front cap, so I need some ideas. I also don't know how I'm going to thread the front end (the end that I cut off, just behind the button) without a lathe. So, my questions are as follows:

What should I use for the front cap/wipe?

How should I thread the tube for the front cap without a lathe?

I've considered perhaps trying to find a machinist that can mill me a front end cap, but I don't know what material is best to use for that (I've tried searching), or how much that'll wind up costing me, or where to find a machinist that'll do a one-off thing like that for me.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Oh, one other question, would a maglite suppressor tube with a 4130 monocore be capable of handling 5.56 pressures? Ideally, I'd like to be able to swap this thing between my AR and my handgun.
Last edited by friendlysniper on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Need some ideas for front end cap/wipe.

Post by joe0121 »

There is a guy who sells registered adapters for using oil cans. Just buy one. I work with a guy who has one and it is surprisingly effective especially when you use large fuel filter from heavy equipment.
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

joe0121 wrote:There is a guy who sells registered adapters for using oil cans. Just buy one. I work with a guy who has one and it is surprisingly effective especially when you use large fuel filter from heavy equipment.
I've thought about it, but the ability to use my sights is a must, and all oil filters I've come across are too large. Plus I don't think they are dissassembable. I'd rather go with the maglite idea.

I do get the idea that the oil filter is disposable and the adapter is the registered suppressor, though, I'd just prefer to go with something like a maglite tube, primarily because of the size, and also I kind of want to build it rather than just buy a filter. Might seem more complicated, but since I've been thinking about this for years, I want to do it that way.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

This guy posts on youtube and sells maglite parts. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKRwS1ApuQ
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

twodollarbill wrote:This guy posts on youtube and sells maglite parts. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKRwS1ApuQ
Well that certainly makes things simpler.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

You didn't list which cartridges you plan to use it with.
I would recommend 304 SS for the first endcap and incorporate a muzzlebrake into an extended section beyond the threading.
Here is a concept that I',m working with.
The bottom pic shows a monoblock 3 expansion chamber enclosed muzzlebrake w canted flashhider blades which empart spin to the gasses.
It's composed of 304 Stainless. You needn't use any of the other elements. Jest use a maglite handle and attach it to this muzzlebrake. Then use whichever type baffles you choose. But 4130 is used for high pressure apps. Not needed in suppressors and it quickly rusts.
Check out these pics to see why a corrosion resistant material is needed for apps where moist gasses cool and result in condensation. This is true for ALL combusted powders. H2O is a product of combustion and that's unavoidable. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=121817&start=50
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

friendlysniper wrote: I also don't know how I'm going to thread the front end (the end that I cut off, just behind the button) without a lathe. So, my questions are as follows:

What should I use for the front cap/wipe?

How should I thread the tube for the front cap without a lathe?

I've considered perhaps trying to find a machinist that can mill me a front end cap, but I don't know what material is best to use for that (I've tried searching), or how much that'll wind up costing me, or where to find a machinist that'll do a one-off thing like that for me.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Oh, one other question, would a maglite suppressor tube with a 4130 monocore be capable of handling 5.56 pressures? Ideally, I'd like to be able to swap this thing between my AR and my handgun.
1st: Is your pistol a .22/.223? Otherwise I can see immediate problems with multical apps.
2nd: By Front it seems you mean near. Saying Front/Rear is confusing. You face the "Front" of a Claymore "to the Enemy." I think Surefire etches the same thing into their cans. So Near is close to you Far is away. Front is toward enemy, rear attaches to barrel. Lack of proper usage confuses many threads.
3rd: The near endcap doesn't typically use a wipe. That is only just before suppressor exit when bullet instability is least likely to result in a baffle strike.
4th: Striking even a soft surface at 950fps generates quite a slap. Think of a bellyflop. The wipe is best placed against the last baffle so that the slap can dissipate in the normalization chamber prior to exitting the far endcap.

Hope this helps and I'm sure others will weigh in.
Why not just tig weld the near endcap then file and buff it smooth? Since you can remove the threaded far endcap, you can remove the internals from that end. Otherwise paying a machinist to thread your handle my cost nearly as much as your NFA Stamp!
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314