looking for help on my first build

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

badmanners

looking for help on my first build

Post by badmanners »

i want to build a .22lr can. but i am confused as to one of the parts due to it not always being on the pics i see. the blast chamber i think is what its called. i want it to be a simple mono-core (are baffles quieter then a mono-core?) with just plain round, possibly staggered holes drilled. and i want it to be about six and a half inches long. what grade aluminum should i use? minimum wall thickness for up to a .22mag? will i need a blast chamber for rim fire? some mono-core designs have a two piece inner wall and then the outer tube??? the reason i want to build my own is it will be cheaper and probably more fun. but i want to make sure it will be safe and last a long time. i would appreciate any advice that you guys could give.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Re: looking for help on my first build

Post by MCKNBRD »

Cheaper? :lol:

More fun & a sense of accomplishment? Definitely!

6061 or 7075 should be fine for rimfire; if you're going to be doing .22WMR, I'd consider at least a steel first baffle, just for durability's sake. Monocore baffle stacks can be quieter, but typically, K-baffles are easier for an F1 enthusiast. The blast chamber isn't a part, per se. Typically, its just a spacer, typically on the nose of the first baffle, to stand it off from the muzzle to allow some of the initial pressure to dissipate before slamming into the first baffle (aka the 'Blast Baffle') If you're planning on WMR regularly, you probably should go with a little larger blast chamber, maybe 1/2" to 3/4"; that's really going to hurt your FRP with regular .22LR, though. Everything is a tradeoff; there are no free lunches in physics.

Look through the completed builds thread, and go through the baffle pictures thread. Study them both extensively & ask any questions you need to, after looking them over. You'll see a pattern develop with design, and with what works...and how well it works. Also, look at what the manufacturers are doing...they do what they do for a reason...

Which ever way you decide to go (K-baffles or monocore), go ahead and get your stamp process started. You're going to have PLENTY of time to plan and learn by the time it gets back, even if you e-file.

Byrdman
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

have heard of guys front to back 90 days doing the e-file. my atf agent told me 15 months give or take as there are 20,000 applications
NP
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

my eform 1 took less than 90
Keep calm, and suppress on
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

If you do a staggered or asymetric monocore, I recommend you position the first void area of the core symmetric with the bore.

This is just one guy's opinion, but if it is a rimfire can, I'd not make any sort of "blast baffle" as it can contribute to first round pop.

If you do K baffles, make the first one from stainless, the rest can be 6061 or 7075. The latter is stronger, harder, AND more machineable than 6061, so I think 7075 is the Al of choice for all Al components; tube, baffles, end caps.

I'd also consider making the base cap (connection to the barrel) of stainless, as this material can withstand dozens, hundreds of mounts/dismounts without wear, whereas aluminum can wear a bit.

Give thought to maintainability. Traditional baffles can be "glued" in place by lead and carbon fouling after only a few hundred rounds, making disassembly without damage difficult. Maintainability is what you are seeing with the clamshell designs like the Silencerco Sparrow, but both monocore AND traditional baffle designs can be engineered so the internals can be removed for cleaning.

Money is definitely NOT why most of us do this - it is for the thrill of DIY. :D
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

Or do all Stainless and worst case, if it seals shut due to carbon and lead fouling you can use "the dip" to clean it out and then reassemble.
cms81586
Silent Operator

Post by cms81586 »

delta9mda wrote:have heard of guys front to back 90 days doing the e-file. my atf agent told me 15 months give or take as there are 20,000 applications

As of January they had a backlog of over 69,000 paper applications. E File!