Are there any baffle moulds?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Are there any baffle moulds?

Post by whiterussian1974 »

This photo of a Chinese can leads me to wonder about moulds. I know that sometimes stampings are used and then often heat treated.
I'm no metalurgist. It seems like a ceramic mould would work. Or maybe plating over a plastic/CerMet/other base.
Just throwing it against the wall to see if it sticks.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Are there any baffle moulds?

Post by Bendersquint »

Any tool and die maker could fab a mould to use with stampings.

Several of the large manufacturers use stamped baffles in their rifle cans.

As far as how they are made I have no idea, I use a lathe/mill to make mine. Seems like an awful lots of work for a Form1 can, but I have seen cans that guys spent multiples of a high end suppressors cost on a Form1 so SOMEONE will do it! :wink:

That isn't a Chinese suppressor by the way it is from one of the Scandanavian countries.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint wrote:That isn't a Chinese suppressor by the way it is from one of the Scandanavian countries.
Thanks for info. I linked the pic from another thread of "baffle pics ONLY."
-There's a German model that has sections screw into each other. Modular designs must have $200 Stamp per section in USA. But if someone chose the # of baffles, then the tube was cut and thread to that length, it would be an IKEA type choose your spec design. Where consumer demand decided length of build from common parts inventory.
-Maybe the future is standard OD, pick your # of baffles and baffle type. Then your can is serialized upon payment so that ATF transfer forms can be completed. Helps economy of Just-in-Time Mfr by not having large inventory of only standard config. (?)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:That isn't a Chinese suppressor by the way it is from one of the Scandanavian countries.
-There's a German model that has sections screw into each other. Modular designs must have $200 Stamp per section in USA. But if someone chose the # of baffles, then the tube was cut and thread to that length, it would be an IKEA type choose your spec design. Where consumer demand decided length of build from common parts inventory.
-Maybe the future is standard OD, pick your # of baffles and baffle type. Then your can is serialized upon payment so that ATF transfer forms can be completed. Helps economy of Just-in-Time Mfr by not having large inventory of only standard config. (?)
There are no approved modular designs in the US as each section would create a silencer of a new length requiring a new tax stamp......you would end up with a pile of Form4's for all the possible combinations.

The future IS already here, they are custom cans, we do that now. Pick your OD, how long you want, what type baffles we make it happen.
HKschalldampfer

Post by HKschalldampfer »

One way you could make baffles is by using a die-sink edm. It would involve some initial machining to get the basic dimensions but you could use pieces of trued bar stock and produce a few baffles at a time. I would prefer a traditional lathe but it could work. Not sure how much time it would take compared to a lathe or if it would be worth the effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhoL756ohEE
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

HKschalldampfer wrote:One way you could make baffles is by using a die-sink edm. It would involve some initial machining to get the basic dimensions but you could use pieces of trued bar stock and produce a few baffles at a time. I would prefer a traditional lathe but it could work. Not sure how much time it would take compared to a lathe or if it would be worth the effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhoL756ohEE
Danke fur ihnen Antworten, Herr Schalldampfer.
Actually I meant using high heat ceramic moulds similar to how hardcast slugs are made. Injection molding into the cast. Or pressing stampings into shape before heat treating in induction furnace.
It seems that finishing injection molded pieces would be less labor intensive than lathing. I don't know since I'm not a machinist. But Unskilled Labor is generally less expensive than Skilled Labor.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Bendersquint wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:
I do think its from Russia as some russian dual tube models use the same baffle.
H&K has a patent for modular silencers with silencer sections screwed together like that, developed for the G3
There are no approved modular designs in the US as each section would create a silencer of a new length requiring a new tax stamp......you would end up with a pile of Form4's for all the possible combinations. Seems that some do have more options than others.
Gunny
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Its possible that the Russians did something along those lines as they are excellent 'copiers'.

That picture(unless they cloned the exact can down to the knurls, which they do), came from a company in Scandanavia, at least thats how I have it documented in my library.

If you had an endless cash flow to support math's rule of product then you can do it, but 95% of the US citizens wouldn't have the funds to accomplish this.
wp6529
Silent Operator

Post by wp6529 »

"Powdered metalurgy" - Becoming rather common, many of the step blocks in mill clamping sets are made this way, gears as well, etc. Compress metal powder and binder in a mould under high pressure, demould and heat / sinter. Not quite a form 1 home shop process yet though.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

My very first fuctional .45 ACP pistol can, which used parabolic baffles welded on rods used stamped baffles. It was not cost-effective for a one-off can, even if getting it right did end up requiring frequent replacement of the stack from baffle strikes. I have not used stamped baffles since.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
swede43

Post by swede43 »

About the orgin of the damper in the pic, I saw the same damper in the late 80:th when I was in Finland wisiting their armed forces, The can was sitting on a valmet, an finnish made AK47. The guy showing it to us was an developmentmanager at valmet.
It was quite quiet and workt wery god in full auto, cal 7,62x39 finnish made no sub ammo.
Ofcourse it could have made somewere else but with resourses at valmet I have hard to think that they would put on something that wasnt made by themself due to the showing of experiment guns.
Just my 2 cent.
//swede