60* delrin cone mockup legal?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

60* delrin cone mockup legal?

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I'm going to prototype my QA/QD muzzle brake out of delrin first off. But I just had a thought. Would a scale mockup of a 60* cone baffle made of delrin be legal. My understanding is that if it can conceivably be used in a real silencer it's not legal. So, could a .05 inch thick delrin cone baffle conceivably be used in a real silencer? I would think it would self destruct on the first shot. Or is just not even the risk?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: 60* delrin cone mockup legal?

Post by Bendersquint »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I'm going to prototype my QA/QD muzzle brake out of delrin first off. But I just had a thought. Would a scale mockup of a 60* cone baffle made of delrin be legal. My understanding is that if it can conceivably be used in a real silencer it's not legal. So, could a .05 inch thick delrin cone baffle conceivably be used in a real silencer? I would think it would self destruct on the first shot. Or is just not even the risk?
There are no requirements for lifespan in determining if it is a silencer or not, a papermache baffle would be illegal even though that one round would probably set it on fire.

Make the cone 4" OD and you are fine.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

Make the cone actually size, and promptly saw it in half. Be sure to Not tell us how it went
Keep calm, and suppress on
wp6529
Silent Operator

Post by wp6529 »

Machinable wax - test your g-code on a bar of machinable wax, measure and verify dimmensions then drop the "non supressor part" in the melt pot to recast into another bar of wax.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wp6529 wrote:Machinable wax - test your g-code on a bar of machinable wax, measure and verify dimmensions then drop the "non supressor part" in the melt pot to recast into another bar of wax.
Not sure he is using a cnc for this. May be wrong though.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

My thoughts are... And they may be wrong... Machine the item without a bore hole. At that point it can never function inside of a silencer. Once there is a bore hole in it, then you have a silencer part.

And if you do something like this, it's probably not wise to talk about it or post pictures. Just in case.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Thanks guys for the replys. I've scrapped the idea. I thought it'd be a good "first try" kind of thing but I'll just jump in and hope everything goes right. I just didn't want to take a chance on screwing up and wasting some titanium.

No I'm not running CNC. Everything is all manual on vintage Atlas equipment.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

L1A1Rocker wrote:Thanks guys for the replys. I've scrapped the idea. I thought it'd be a good "first try" kind of thing but I'll just jump in and hope everything goes right. I just didn't want to take a chance on screwing up and wasting some titanium.

No I'm not running CNC. Everything is all manual on vintage Atlas equipment.
Probably the smart thing to do!

Always remember skirting the rules CREATED the any part is a silencer part rule.