K baffle, 9mm direct thread can.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

whispershot

Re: K baffle, 9mm direct thread can.

Post by whispershot »

Why don't you get an SOT? Instead of (9) $200 Stamps, you could pay every 3 yrs (or whatever) instead of making piecemeal. Plus, you get plenty of experience while only charging 200% markup over expenses, to cover machine and tool wear.
Sounds like a reasonable tradeoff, unless you just hate the extra regulation compliance and record keeping.
With SOT you could replace & repair silencers too right? So when your non-anodized baffles bite the dust you can just make some Ti ones to match your Ti can. I'd love to have an SOT, but I can't justify the cost :(
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

whispershot wrote:With SOT you could replace & repair silencers too right? So when your non-anodized baffles bite the dust you can just make some Ti ones to match your Ti can. I'd love to have an SOT, but I can't justify the cost :(
It's my understanding that Ti baffles in Ti can creates resonance. It can be damped by mixing materials.
SS or Stelite/Inconel blastbaffle would help, and 7075 Al for pistol can is fine.
Dr KO has yet to state which rifle cal. he is mounting. If it's 9x19mm, no reason to overbuild the stack. If 40+ gr of powder, sure Ti would be good, but don't know how easy it is to machine.
I'm curious why he didn't make an Osprey shaped can for his pistol. The off-center volume could create some fun opportunities.
Maybe this is his next experiment?
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Not sure about the SOT.

I deal with a ton of regulation at my day job, and I'm not so sure I want to open up my private shop for inspection any time the Bureau feels it wants to look me over. My shop is my personal getaway, and is not available for any oversight other than mine!

I don't mind paying the tax per can. It's a hobby, and when you turn your hobby into a job, it takes the fun right out of it.

I'm building a 9mm rifle to use the can on.....kinda like the cart before the horse I guess :lol:

I guess I might start a new thread for that project.
Kyle O.
mousey

Post by mousey »

Did it turn out as well on the rifle as you had hoped?

I don't have milling equipment, just a drill press, so I'm more in the "80%" crowd than most of this forum's expertise is aimed at, but your build is a perfect road map for my application (short barreled 9mm AR) and same-size tube. I'm still reading up on what should go in the tube, but pretty much everything is pointing to the direction you went.

Edit: Whoa, I missed the precisely 4-year thread bump by 4 hours.
Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hannibalbarca »

whispershot wrote:
Why don't you get an SOT? Instead of (9) $200 Stamps, you could pay every 3 yrs (or whatever) instead of making piecemeal. Plus, you get plenty of experience while only charging 200% markup over expenses, to cover machine and tool wear.
Sounds like a reasonable tradeoff, unless you just hate the extra regulation compliance and record keeping.
With SOT you could replace & repair silencers too right? So when your non-anodized baffles bite the dust you can just make some Ti ones to match your Ti can. I'd love to have an SOT, but I can't justify the cost :(
Who’s gonna know if you do? It’s a completely unconstitional and immoral law, the being made illegal of repairing your own property, though the whole nfa is as well but this more especially so.