Engraving - do you try to "clock" the lettering?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

punkinhead
Silent Operator

Engraving - do you try to "clock" the lettering?

Post by punkinhead »

I'm getting close to finishing up my suppressor and need to take it to a shop to be engraved. Do you try to have the engraving in any particular orientation when the suppressor is attached to the host gun? I realize it'll end up in different orientations with different guns but I'll mostly be using the same gun. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I only get one shot at this.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Engraving - do you try to "clock" the lettering?

Post by Capt. Link. »

punkinhead wrote:I'm getting close to finishing up my suppressor and need to take it to a shop to be engraved. Do you try to have the engraving in any particular orientation when the suppressor is attached to the host gun? I realize it'll end up in different orientations with different guns but I'll mostly be using the same gun. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I only get one shot at this.
I place them in the middle with no timing.This allows some room for repairs on either end of the registered tube.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

I do believe you ARE overthinking this one! Go ahead and make it so that the engraving is at 9:00 or 3:00 when it's on your favorite host, but realize that it won't be there on other weapons. I like the notion of leaving a bit of room for repairs, but I'd still have it closer to the base... that's just me.

You'll look at it once or twice after it's engraved, like what you see, then probably not look at it much again.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

put it on the inside if you dont want any one to see it
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Engraving is just work hardening. There shouldn't be any change in harmonics, heat disipation, etc. Keep it away from blastchamber. The orientation shouldn't matter. If it did, Companies would engrave twice, 180* apart.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
punkinhead
Silent Operator

Post by punkinhead »

whiterussian1974 wrote:Engraving is just work hardening.
Actually, it'll be material removal.
There shouldn't be any change in harmonics, heat disipation, etc. Keep it away from blastchamber. The orientation shouldn't matter. If it did, Companies would engrave twice, 180* apart.
I'm just thinking of aesthetics, not performance. The "stay away from the ends to allow repair" angle hadn't occurred to me but is a good point.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

I did one to land exactly at BDC & it turned out well. On a different rifle - who knows where it will end up?

I have another one where I did the Cerakote over the engraving. The engraving is kind of big at .210 high letters. Don't have anything I can think of to measure the depth, but you can catch your fingernail in it. First pic you're looking dead at it, 2nd is as best as I could get my camera to focus on it close up. In this case it doesn't really matter because no matter where it lands, you have to look for it to see it. Wasn't the intent, just how it turned out with a flat black coating.

--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I've orientated them on my integral builds so they line up with the receiver's engravings.
All others form 1's are just centered in the middle of the tube.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

We orient them on integral builds but everything else is just engraved to ATF specs and then a shy deeper.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Has anyone tried letter punching? I recently tried it on a build and I'm very satisfied with it. It's just a matter of lots of practice, printing out your font on paper, and then marking the piece with a sharpie for font kerning. Drawing the letters on the little squares with a very thin sharpie helps even more.

I'll post pics of how my builds look marked, one day.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

How about spiral engraving? Then it will always be on top, and bottom, and sides. :wink:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

eric10mm wrote:How about spiral engraving? Then it will always be on top, and bottom, and sides. :wink:
Seen it before, done right it looks pretty sweet.

I also saw a can with something like a word find on it with the information in the puzzle. All the owner did was make the puzzle and connect all the pertinent information together with lines.