New guy with a lathe question.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

KML

New guy with a lathe question.

Post by KML »

Hello all,
I'm new to suppressors but have decided it was time stop making so much noise when I'm shooting. I've had a trust done and now have two form 1s for cans and one for an SBR pending.
While I'm waiting I've been looking at every suppressor I can find and reading as much as I can (mostly here).

I have played with machines since I was a kid (40's now) so I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I have a decent assortment of tools and some decent welding equipment. I have never done any machining though. That is unless you count killing the bearings on a few cheap drill presses using an indexing table as a "mill"!

I've decided I'd like to get a lathe. Again, I've read a bunch but that's not the same as actually knowing anything. I have some questions specific to a lathe for building suppressors.

I know the older American are preferred but 3 phase power would not be cheap as I live in the boonies. That seems to limit my choices.

I've found an Atlas 12x36 that seems to be in pretty good shape (not that I really have any clue). It comes with a face plate, 4 jaw chuck, and a center rest. He's asking $800.

Will this lathe work for suppressors well enough? I know they're a little "light" for big work but would this be workable? If not, are there better choices in a single phase machine?

Would greatly appreciate any advise!
bakerjw
Elite Member

Re: New guy with a lathe question.

Post by bakerjw »

3 phase power is no big deal. You'll need a phase converter and an extra 3 phase motor to get better efficiency. Or you can buy a 220VAC input / 3 phase output motor drive too but those cost a bit more.

The Atlas 12"x36" lathe is a decent starter machine. You can do quite a bit with it but a large lathe with a larger spindle bore is much preferred. If there is any tooling with the lathe then it is likely worth the asking price.

2 things.
You will spend as much on tooling as you do on the lathe.
Don't get in a hurry. A good lathe will come your way.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
danb35
Silent Operator

Post by danb35 »

Don't let a 3-phase motor bother you--you can get a good 3-phase inverter for a 1HP motor for around $100 (see http://www.factorymation.com/Products/FM50_230V/ for one example I've used). These will let you run the motor on single-phase power, can let you run it on 110V power rather than 220V if you buy the right model, and give you continuously variable speed on the pulley. They're pretty straightforward to wire and work well. Now, if you were planning to get a shop full of 3-phase equipment, a rotary phase converter would likely be a better idea--but for a single machine I would (and did) go for the VFD.
KML

Post by KML »

Thanks much! I didn't realize a phase converter was that simple. I have a 100 amp 240 separate service in the garage now so looks like I'm ok.

Now that I know power isn't a road block there is a 12" x 78" CK Monarch I may need to go look at.....