Plug welding baffles?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Plug welding baffles?

Post by rqlasl »

Basically how many holes per baffle and what diameter holes?........
Thanks.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Re: Plug welding baffles?

Post by sub-sonic »

at least 1 but 2 would be better and 3 better again but 4 would be over doing it a bit and 5 would just be excessive.

hole size depends on welding method. If you turn the power up in the MIG (not flux core) you only need a small hole
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Plug welding baffles?

Post by Capt. Link. »

For rifle baffles 4 to 5 .250 holes.This is best done with a MiG using gas.You can do Tig as well but its much slower.When you do the end caps recess them in the tube a very small amount so a gas seal is formed between the cap and tube in addition to the plug welds.A few minutes on the lathe and it will look great as long as you leave no air pockets.Use 304 if you are doing SS it welds up with ease.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895