Need 3d modeling program suggestion

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Vulture

Need 3d modeling program suggestion

Post by Vulture »

Hello friends,

It's been a while, so hi again. I have some silencer patents coming up. 5 theories, 4 patents. I will combine them as much as I can to bring my cost down. I will share with my friends here at silencer talk when they go pending. Probably about 6 months. My last patent took 3 months to write.

I would love to get my hands on a 3d modeling program that is easy to use and cheap. Otherwise it's back to windows paint!

These designs are new with proven science. Interested and excited? I will license them to companies. I don't think I would be concerned if an individual used my designs. You would need a lathe.

I am recently retired from my primary career. (Buyout, unemployed)
For all the legal people. I have a form 1. I am a FFL dealer / SOT. I also have a local manufacture that is willing to make prototypes and form 3 them to me.
To check on that info you can go to my shop at www.GrenadierFirearms.com

I am just getting into the silencer design business. I have no desire to create a business. If your company is interested I can fly to your company, check you out, have some lunch shoot some guns and talk about science.

Cheers,

Take care friends,
I love reading all your posts!

Me
Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need 3d modeling program suggestion

Post by Hatchetjoe »

I use Solidworks, it works, there are lots of people using it. Usually you can find a course at your local vocational school or community college. Additionally not that I would advocate such you can find a torrent and have free use until you can buy it.

I tried Pro-e/Creo it is a nightmare to use. Back in the old days I used to like CadKey but they are something else now.

Good luck.
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

A cheap (i.e., free) and easy 3D modeling program is Google SketchUp. If you have been using Paint, this is an easy and huge step forward, but a far cry from real CAD software (like SolidWorks or AutoCAD). It is very easy to learn, but just gives you a 3D picture, not other design features.
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
mactool

Post by mactool »

I would use Siemens NX8. It has a lot of advanced features, and is easy to learn
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

You might check out Cubify Design. Cubify makes 3D printers and it's parent company bought out Alibre. Alibre was a lower cost alternative to Solidworks with about 90% of the functionality.

Price is around $200.

I have used an older copy of Alibre, and it was extremely similar to Solidworks. If you have ever used any parametric modelers at all, it will be a snap to pick up.
punkinhead
Silent Operator

Post by punkinhead »

You might look into Alibre. They have (or used to have) sales now and they where they'd offer it in the $100 range. I tried using it for home shop stuff and it seems like it'd be a good program but I use Solidworks for hours every day at work and it was too much of a pain for me to switch back and forth.
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

Thank you for your replies and advice. I will check into them. I used auto cad a long time ago.
I felt like an infant flying a jet! $100-$200 is cheap. A lot cheaper than hiring one of local defense engineers here.

Again thank you guys. If not for you all, this project would not have gotten started! You guys, this forum, you inspire me.
"Do something! If you do nothing, nothing wil be accomplished."
JonCherba

Post by JonCherba »

I know this post is old as heck but I figured I would offer my services. I am currently one semester away from graduating with a drafting degree and I have access to 3D modeling software. I also have the skills to make ideas reality using the software I have. I have Autocad 2014, Microstation V8i, and Autodesk Inventor 2014. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask. Thanks.