All Titanium can for .223

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: All Titanium can for .223

Post by Dr.K »

CMV wrote:
...I used a die grinder and diamond bit for the clipping....
What did you buy that mill for again? :)
Well I have an ar15 lower indicated in it and didn't want to move it. Also the inconel was such a pain, I didn't want to ruin an end mill for a tiny clip......so since I was going to grind the inconel I just did the other two.

Trust me the mill has been spinning every day!
Kyle O.
jfk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jfk »

Is there a video? Your work is awesome!
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

jfk wrote:Is there a video? Your work is awesome!
Thanks, I'll see what I can cook up this weekend.
Kyle O.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Form 1 titanium silencer.: http://youtu.be/CosPcML47Pc

here you go.
Dr.K wrote:
Kyle O.
jfk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jfk »

Dr.K wrote:Form 1 titanium silencer.: http://youtu.be/CosPcML47Pc

here you go.
Dr.K wrote:
Excellent 8)
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Thanks for the video Dr K!
Ws7z

Post by Ws7z »

Nice video. Thanks for information.

What was your wall thickness on the tube? And how did you get the engraving done?
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Ws7z wrote:Nice video. Thanks for information.

What was your wall thickness on the tube? And how did you get the engraving done?
.070" thickness on tube.

and I have a deal worked out with the jeweler next to my drugstore. I trade drugs for engraving services.
Kyle O.
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Jim from your YouTube comments here, thanks for reminding me to come over here.

Great build! Any lessons learned from turning Inconel? How was it compared to the 6al-4v? I'm pretty comfortable with 6al-4v now it seems that as long as you take your time I find that it works pretty easily.

What is your weight difference between the aluminum baffle and the titanium baffle? I always chuckle a little when folks say something along the line of "of course you get a weight savings with titanium over aluminum".

Again, great job. I'm amazed at how well 3 baffles worked.

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

kingjamez wrote:Jim from your YouTube comments here, thanks for reminding me to come over here.

Great build! Any lessons learned from turning Inconel? How was it compared to the 6al-4v? I'm pretty comfortable with 6al-4v now it seems that as long as you take your time I find that it works pretty easily.

What is your weight difference between the aluminum baffle and the titanium baffle? I always chuckle a little when folks say something along the line of "of course you get a weight savings with titanium over aluminum".

Again, great job. I'm amazed at how well 3 baffles worked.

-Jim
Thanks Jim.

Inconel 718 is the toughest stuff I've ever carved! Turning it wasn't so terribly bad, slow speeds, flood coolant, and deepish cuts, were the winning combination. But parting it off became an exercise in patience!

By comparison the 6al4v is a cakewalk.

I didn't weigh the baffles individually, but I'd hawk a guess that the titanium and tennalum are similar in weight. I made the aluminum baffle thicker.

If you're the same Jim who milled out that titanium lower from scratch, then I've watched all those vids, and am very impressed with your skills! Bravo!
Kyle O.
jfk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jfk »

What's the overall length of the can?
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Dr.K wrote:
Thanks Jim.

Inconel 718 is the toughest stuff I've ever carved! Turning it wasn't so terribly bad, slow speeds, flood coolant, and deepish cuts, were the winning combination. But parting it off became an exercise in patience!

By comparison the 6al4v is a cakewalk.

I didn't weigh the baffles individually, but I'd hawk a guess that the titanium and tennalum are similar in weight. I made the aluminum baffle thicker.

If you're the same Jim who milled out that titanium lower from scratch, then I've watched all those vids, and am very impressed with your skills! Bravo!
Yep, that's me. The Ti lower ended up being a lot heavier than I expected... I should have known since Ti is 1.7x the weight of aluminum for the same unit volume.

Where did you get your Inconel? I'm having a hard time finding a good source, I'd like to give it a go now that you've inspired me!

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

I got a stob off of eBay 2x6 I think for $60.

Pm inbound. ;)
Kyle O.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Inconel sucks! We had a bunch of test parts to gundrill in a new machine we were building at work.....I was the lucky one that had to part off and face them to he right length. Think they were 1" diameter and I was getting about 1.5 parted off per insert.

Did you grind off the slag on your baffle before going back on the lathe? That looks like a nightmare to clean up.

Are there any new small quantity sources out there for the 7068? Last time I checked it was just Amazon that I could find.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

So do you put the baffle in a fixture to machine the "inside" I'd like to see pics of you setup for doing the other side of the baffle. Or do you just re indicate it in once you do the front. My can design has 11 baffle for .308 seems like I may reduce that a bit..
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

joe0121 wrote:So do you put the baffle in a fixture to machine the "inside" I'd like to see pics of you setup for doing the other side of the baffle. Or do you just re indicate it in once you do the front. My can design has 11 baffle for .308 seems like I may reduce that a bit..
I machine the bore thru hole, the outer diameter, the cone angle, and both front and rear faces before I part the baffle off.

It's important for the rear face, and the front face to be parellel and square.

When I flip it and put it in the chuck to do the internal carving, I use the ball bearing wobble elimination method to get everything turning true before I start carving. I know it's not perfect, but it's very very close. AND, being that the internal dimensions are not critical dimensions, I've never had a problem. Everything that matters can be cut while the stock is mounted up to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8-_3FQ2_t0
Kyle O.
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

Dr.K wrote:
joe0121 wrote:So do you put the baffle in a fixture to machine the "inside" I'd like to see pics of you setup for doing the other side of the baffle. Or do you just re indicate it in once you do the front. My can design has 11 baffle for .308 seems like I may reduce that a bit..
I machine the bore thru hole, the outer diameter, the cone angle, and both front and rear faces before I part the baffle off.

It's important for the rear face, and the front face to be parellel and square.

When I flip it and put it in the chuck to do the internal carving, I use the ball bearing wobble elimination method to get everything turning true before I start carving. I know it's not perfect, but it's very very close. AND, being that the internal dimensions are not critical dimensions, I've never had a problem. Everything that matters can be cut while the stock is mounted up to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8-_3FQ2_t0

Ok I *was* going to try to machine it all in one shot but I just dont think it's gonna work out. I bought a bunch of delrin to try out a few methods before I start cutting expensive metal.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Make some powder funnels, great practice!

I know of no way to machine an entire baffle on the lathe without turning it around....on second thought, there is a way, but it's not a very good way. You'd end up holding it by just the tip. and having to drill a deep hole that my wander off center....a lot of variables could be introduced into this discussion.

My order of ops,

Turn OD, face, drill bore hole, cut outer cone (with included step at the widest), part.

On parting.....I make sure before the parting cut gets too deep to cut an "inside face" (think top of the funnel) so when I flip it I have a true surface to ride the bearing on.

Is this making sense?
Kyle O.
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

Dr.K wrote:Make some powder funnels, great practice!

I know of no way to machine an entire baffle on the lathe without turning it around....on second thought, there is a way, but it's not a very good way. You'd end up holding it by just the tip. and having to drill a deep hole that my wander off center....a lot of variables could be introduced into this discussion.

My order of ops,

Turn OD, face, drill bore hole, cut outer cone (with included step at the widest), part.

On parting.....I make sure before the parting cut gets too deep to cut an "inside face" (think top of the funnel) so when I flip it I have a true surface to ride the bearing on.

Is this making sense?
Makes perfect sense. My south bend came with a six jaw chuck so if I wanted to be anal I could dial it in really close. What do those little notches people put on the front of the cone do? I am thinking I will start with six baffled with a 1.5 inch blast baffel than .850 and getting long as it goes towards the end of the can.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Dr.K wrote:So, this project is at the point of two titanium end caps grade 5, and a grade 9 tube. That's done already, but now my curiosity is bubbling about using some different materials in my schemes. Here's what direction I'm taking this.
I ordered a stick of tennalum or 7068 if you prefer, and also a chunk of 718 inconel,
I'm going to make a blast baffle with the inco 718, and then a couple of 7068 cones after that. I'll be using grade 9 Ti for the spacers.
No worries, I'll document my project with plenty of photos and details. I still may throw in a titanium baffle just because I've never made one, and want to give it a try.
Kyle,

Great build, pictures look great. love the bleu anodize as well.
What barrel length do you run this on?
What wall did you use an the Gr9 spacers?

For hunting sometimes Less is more.
Weight can be a huge drawback on those long walks and stalks.

Again great build and well documented

Gunny
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Thanks for the kind words Gunny.

spacers are .050".

It pretty much lives on a 17 inch barrel. I've got a 16 and 18 also that are in the rotation.
Kyle O.