bore size question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: bore size question

Post by Bendersquint »

bwp777 wrote:what bore/baffle size do most suppressor makers have for their dedicated .223 cans?

HTA .223
Specwar 556
AAC M4200
etc....
It varies by manufacturer.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Kinda like that 300 of mine :) Hot dog in a hall way.

Bendersquint wrote:
bwp777 wrote:what bore/baffle size do most suppressor makers have for their dedicated .223 cans?

HTA .223
Specwar 556
AAC M4200
etc....
It varies by manufacturer.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

mpallett wrote:Kinda like that 300 of mine :) Hot dog in a hall way.
True, true.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

FWIW I'm using .265 or 17/64. ~0.040 over bullet diameter. Not finished with it yet so can't tell you that's a good size to go with.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

On a Form1 build i would not recommend anything smaller than 17/64".
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

bwp777 wrote:K
Also. would it help to have the baffle bore larger and then get it nice and tight at the end?
If any variance in bore diameter I'd suggest the opposite would be preferable, for two reasons:

- A tighter bore for the blast baffle is less likely to cause a baffle strike as any threading alignment error relative to the boreline of the barrel is going to be at its least worrisome nearest the muzzle. By the same token any run-out in alignment is going to show up worse towards the exit of the can, so you want the baffles to increase in hole size towards exit if anything.

- A tighter hole at the blast baffle will help to scrub off more pressure/noise early on in the suppressor, which is desirable so long as the blast baffle can handle the pressure and there's enough air volume between that baffle and the muzzle to properly take up some of that energy. This smaller holed blast baffle should of course be symmetrical; save your cross-bore venting for subsequent baffles where the hole is bigger and won't bring in as much potential for causing yaw.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Something else to consider is that tighter bores can increase backpressure. Bolt gun no real issue. Gas Gun....increased bolt velocity, increased port noise. Some have done progressive bore sizing....smaller blast baffle bore progressively increasing in diameter out the suppressor muzzle. Can be beneficial when using longer tubes.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Shift1 wrote:Something else to consider is that tighter bores can increase backpressure. Bolt gun no real issue. Gas Gun....increased bolt velocity, increased port noise. Some have done progressive bore sizing....smaller blast baffle bore progressively increasing in diameter out the suppressor muzzle. Can be beneficial when using longer tubes.

Yep that is what I do with my 22 K baffle cans, first two are 1/4" the remainder 7mm
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most