Handguard ID question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

sspbass
Silent Operator

Handguard ID question

Post by sspbass »

I'm looking at a couple of handguards that have an ID of 1.56" that I would like to put a 1.5" can under.
I would like to keep the handguard as skinny as possible for a sleek look and lighter weight but I don't want it rubbing.
Is this too close of a fit or will it work?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Handguard ID question

Post by Bendersquint »

sspbass wrote:I'm looking at a couple of handguards that have an ID of 1.56" that I would like to put a 1.5" can under.
I would like to keep the handguard as skinny as possible for a sleek look and lighter weight but I don't want it rubbing.
It will work if the can fits in the tube without touching the walls, if so the heat transfer will make you upset about your decision. ;)
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

Bendersquint wrote:
sspbass wrote:I'm looking at a couple of handguards that have an ID of 1.56" that I would like to put a 1.5" can under.
It will work if the can fits in the tube without touching the walls, if so the heat transfer will make you upset about your decision. ;)

^this. I have used a diamondhead VRS with my 1.5" od can and its tight.
07/02 behind enemy lines
sspbass
Silent Operator

Post by sspbass »

Grounded wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

^this. I have used a diamondhead VRS with my 1.5" od can and its tight.
Are you happy with how it turned out?
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Bendersquint wrote:
So True about the heat as even with the integral 223 upper I built gets warm and I only use it for yodi hunting
and very slow shooting like only a few shots at a time, a full mag dump gets very warm.
Pistol calibers or even subsonic 300 blackout is not bad with a can under the hand guard.
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

sspbass wrote: Are you happy with how it turned out?
I was very happy and my current design has a reflex chamber thats under the handguard so it does get a little warm. I think like anything however with enough rounds the whole damn upper will get unpleasantly hot.
07/02 behind enemy lines
wtrski76

Post by wtrski76 »

Seekins MCSR is 1.8 ID but very thin and smooth (Keymod), so it doesn't feel very bulky. I love the way it feels and have 2 on 2 different rifles. I also recently purchased a Rainier Force handguard (also keymod) that will fit a 1.5" can and is a bit slimmer than the Seekins - I think the OD is 1.8 and ID around 1.6 on it. You probably won't be able to attach anything to the Rainer though with a 1.5" can under it due to fastener clearance though. Nice piece and very light as well.