K baffles vs monocore design help

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

blessedcajun

K baffles vs monocore design help

Post by blessedcajun »

Hey guys, sorry for the noob question. I'm in the process of filing my form 1's to build some suppressors and I have a few building ?'s. Since I have several months to ponder over it until I get my stamps, here it goes. I was thinking simple K-baffles but have also seen several monocore designs and am wondering which is more efficient at sound reduction. My goal is to build two 7.62 suppressors for AR10s and .300blk. If there is a thread about this subject already, please point me in the right direction. Thanks for your time.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: K baffles vs monocore design help

Post by Dr.K »

Cones are the type of baffle you are looking for. Look around this forum, and you'll find all you need.
Kyle O.
thinwater

Post by thinwater »

I have made many dozens of suppressors including about a dozen monocores. I have never made a mono core that beat a K baffle design. I still make them from time to time for fun, but since you are using a form 1 you want it right the first time so you don't waist your stamp (I have a FFL/SOT so I make whatever I dream up ). This forum has some nice methods of making your own K baffles on most any lathe. Spend the time to get them right and enjoy your can for many years.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

thinwater wrote:I have made many dozens of suppressors including about a dozen monocores. I have never made a mono core that beat a K baffle design. I still make them from time to time for fun, but since you are using a form 1 you want it right the first time so you don't waist your stamp (I have a FFL/SOT so I make whatever I dream up ). This forum has some nice methods of making your own K baffles on most any lathe. Spend the time to get them right and enjoy your can for many years.
I have been a fan of asymmetric baffles for 30 years now.Ported cones are great but it still takes twice as many for the same suppression in HP rifle calibers.I have made some great mono-cores that are equal to Ks in suppression for .22s but not in centerfire rifle.Need help just ask the talent pool is deep.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

I haven't designed one nor have I seen a monocore design at the same length produce a smaller sound signature using supersonic rifle ammo than standard 60* cones (ported/clipped/whatever).

The monocores I've done and others I've metered really show great gains when using subsonic ammo . . . not sure when someone will figure out a design to work in supersonic but I'm sure its only a matter of time.