The oss supressor pros and cons

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mj30wilson

The oss supressor pros and cons

Post by mj30wilson »

Does anyone have a oss suppressor and pictures of the internals? What are the pros and cons of the design?
I'm a reasonable guy most of the time but i must insist factory rifles now come with 1/8 m.o.a guarantee to support my fly wing shooting pastime.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Re: The oss supressor pros and cons

Post by jlwilliams »

There was a picture over on weaponsguild of the internals. It looked overly complicated, IMO. My impression is that it's machined to make department and agency heads look at it and think "that's COOL! I'll spend the taxpayer's money on those!"
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Well I have zero hands-on experience with the sorts of firearms OSS suppressors would be installed to, but having followed the past few months' news regarding these developments and the discussion around them here's my two cents. OSS suppressors are not intended to be the best-suppressing (as in quietest) cans out there, nor are they a budget option. But what the company claims seems so far to be borne out by those lucky few who have had hands-on experience with them. Moderation of the muzzle blast such that high powered semi-auto fire is relatively hearing safe is nothing to scoff at, but if you want a quiet can look elsewhere. Rigorous engineering with a rock solid tough result is also respectable, though not everyone will want to carry around something quite so heavy. Most importantly from OSS' perspective; the gas pressure back into the action is the focus of these cans, as they'll interfere less than most with the cycling rate while delivering substantially less crap into the face of the shooter. At least that summarizes my readings on the subject so far, for what it's worth.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

It looks like a modern automatic transmission for a car. Or maybe the internal shaft for a jet engine.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

Pat M
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pat M »

Mine is showing up this week, i will take some pictures and post them. :( will be a while before i can play with it properly.

Mainly designed to not have any extra blow back pressure = screw up semi/full auto weapons = you should be able to put it on any weapon and not have to adjust gas block, switch block, less grains in your reloads, etc

Not very practical here in WA for a civilian, but i won mine at a match = :) $200 tax stamp only
Pat M
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pat M »

My phone went swimming, so i wasn't able to get any pictures. But did find these newer pics online showing the front monocore insert - a lot of machining goes into these. Front and rear came in hexagon tins each wrapped in OSS t-shirts (got to take the shirts home, many months til i get the can home)