Form 1 for Subsonic AK

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Ulven

Form 1 for Subsonic AK

Post by Ulven »

Hey all!

I hope you can help me on this one:

What combination of baffles would be most effective for a .312 groove dia 200gr subsonic bullet in a tube with a 1,35" inner dia?
The plan is to make a very generous blast chamber and again - it's only for subsonic ammo.

Thanks!
grrifles

Re: Form 1 for Subsonic AK

Post by grrifles »

I would think K baffles
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Is this going to be a direct muzzle mounted project??? Only reason for asking is there is a good chance of mis-alignment depending on how you plan to square it to the bore. Backing it against the sight tower may not be optimal. It may not be square to the bore. There are plenty of leaks in the system that will bleed out pressurized gases and noises. Depending on the lineage and age of the host....the first will be the gas block and gas tube vents. Have a Custom PSL project that, as configured, runs s/a at 1600fps. While not subsonic, reviewing of firing video very clearly shows smoke and other products of combustion being forced out the gas block vents. This high pressure gas, even at subsonic velocities, will contribute to perceived noise. Have not tried, but a sleeve of some type made to close off these vents may aid in the reduction of perceived noise. Second point to consider would be your blast chamber.....overly large will produce a first round pop due to abundant supply of oxygen. The baffles in F1 can I use on PSL are basically a cone design.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Meche_03
Silent But Deadly

Post by Meche_03 »

Off the top of my head the AAC suppressor for the 300blk has 3 cone baffles with holes drilled in them parrellel to the bore axis about 2/3-3\4 of the way from the bore to the tube edge. It is around 6 inch's long and 1.5" in outer diameter. The can is made of incolnel

It may not be the best design but it works for aac.
There is no problem which cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives. --
William W. Hughes

Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants-- William W. Hughes
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Meche_03 wrote:Off the top of my head the AAC suppressor for the 300blk has 3 cone baffles with holes drilled in them parrellel to the bore axis about 2/3-3\4 of the way from the bore to the tube edge. It is around 6 inch's long and 1.5" in outer diameter. The can is made of incolnel

It may not be the best design but it works for aac.
What can are you referencing? I havent seen a 300blk can from AAC.
Meche_03
Silent But Deadly

Post by Meche_03 »

Us patent for Blackout silencer US 8579075 B2

And it looks like I'm wrong, its 4 cones and the patent covers flutes not holes....though the patent does specifically call out vent holes in the cone/flutes. The patent claims the flutes it increases surface area to increase turbulence and cooling surfaces. It would go along way to stiffining a cone baffle from collapsing or deforming.

I believe the patent is related to AACs 762-sdn-6 but I have not seen a cut away of the sdn-6 to verify.
There is no problem which cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives. --
William W. Hughes

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Meche_03 wrote:Us patent for Blackout silencer US 8579075 B2

And it looks like I'm wrong, its 4 cones and the patent covers flutes not holes....though the patent does specifically call out vent holes in the cone/flutes. The patent claims the flutes it increases surface area to increase turbulence and cooling surfaces. It would go along way to stiffining a cone baffle from collapsing or deforming.

I believe the patent is related to AACs 762-sdn-6 but I have not seen a cut away of the sdn-6 to verify.
I think there is a little confusion.

AAC has a line of suppressors called "Blackout". They were around long before the 300BLK was made public. It replaced most of their flat baffle rifle silencers. It also covered all their high end pistol/rimfire cans like the Element and the TiRant.

This patent is related to every rifle can they currently have, not any one in specific.

Patents do not require showing the actual number of baffles in a can either, they are there for examples. The final product could have 20 baffles and still be covered by the patent. The patent is merely documenting and restricting a specific technology.

Yes the SDN6 does have the vents you mention on a couple baffles. The vents I believe are mentioned in another AAC patent.
Meche_03
Silent But Deadly

Post by Meche_03 »

I understand the patent does not have to cover all the intended configurations.....but looking at a lot of them, when a cad or cad like drawing is used it usually is this design they market first.

I probably am confused about the blackout line of silencers....I don't recall that line but that's nothing special. A few picts I found of aac silencer bores look to have 4-5 baffles of the ribbed design internally.
William W. Hughes

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Meche_03 wrote:I understand the patent does not have to cover all the intended configurations.....but looking at a lot of them, when a cad or cad like drawing is used it usually is this design they market first.

I probably am confused about the blackout line of silencers....I don't recall that line but that's nothing special. A few picts I found of aac silencer bores look to have 4-5 baffles of the ribbed design internally.
All of their rifle cans(except the Cyclops, Titans) use the ribbed cones. Some of the ribbed cones have vents in them as well.

M42000 has I believe 9 baffles.

Cyclone has 10 baffles.

Most of the cans with 4 or 5 baffles are older designs.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

m42000 has 7 baffles (cones).
762sdn6 - 9 baffles
hth 8)
NP