titanium anodizing

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

titanium anodizing

Post by Dr.K »

My first ever anodize. I stumbled across the heat anodizing procedure on the net, and figured it would pretty up my latest creation. I've got enough black cans, so I figured I'd give a go at some "modern art"

I kept it spinning on the lathe so as not to induce any warping, and used a map gas torch. Spinning it also serves to introduce oxygen into the hot metal so oxides can form. Otherwise you'd have to wave the torch around like mad....and I like the rings.
Kyle O.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: titanium anodizing

Post by Bendersquint »

That is "flame anodizing".

Not recommended for anything requiring any strength as it damages the structure of the titanium.

Looks pretty on knives and pens and the sort but that should ever be done to a silencer tube!

I would use extreme caution when shooting that thing, BAD things can happen.

Why didn't you do voltage anodizing? It doesn't damage the metal.
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

Looks neat! But I have no clue about the strength.
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Bendersquint wrote:That is "flame anodizing".

Not recommended for anything requiring any strength as it damages the structure of the titanium.

Looks pretty on knives and pens and the sort but that should ever be done to a silencer tube!

No worries, the spacers are the same wall thickness as the tube, and cover entire length. The tube doesn't see any direct blast.

The voltage anodizing doesn't offer the same look.

Have you actually seen a can damaged directly from this after firing?
Kyle O.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Dr.K wrote: Have you actually seen a can damaged directly from this after firing?
Yes I have on multiple occasions. 1 of them the threads failed and blew the end off the can, another ruptured in the blast chamber and another ruptured injuring the shooter and a bystander. Calibers ranged from 9mm through 308.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Bendersquint wrote:
Dr.K wrote: Have you actually seen a can damaged directly from this after firing?
Yes I have on multiple occasions. 1 of them the threads failed and blew the end off the can, another ruptured in the blast chamber and another ruptured injuring the shooter and a bystander. Calibers ranged from 9mm through 308.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll test it out later and report back.
Kyle O.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Well, I dumped a mag thru it at a semi rate of fire. It didn't come apart, get loose, spontaneously combust, or otherwise die. Accurate, lightweight, and quiet, and it still looks cool to me. I'm heading to the engraver.

Bender, I'm curious if the cans that died also had other issues such as thin walls, or shitty thread jobs? Or, did they just over do the heat? Mine seems solid as it was.
Kyle O.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Dr.K wrote: Bender, I'm curious if the cans that died also had other issues such as thin walls, or shitty thread jobs? Or, did they just over do the heat? Mine seems solid as it was.
Nope, all were properly made.

2 F1's and a F4 can. 2 of the flame anodizing was done by professional services in controlled situations the third was a home jobbie like yours.

It not like you are going to be able to bend it in your hands, of course its going to seem as solid as it was.
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Bendersquint wrote:That is "flame anodizing".

Show me metallurgicaly how flame anodizing "damages the structure" of the titanium.

Flame anodizing doesn't even get the Ti above the stress relieving temperature (up to 649C for grade 9). The recommended cooling method for stress relief is air cooling. I'd wager heavily that Kyle air cooled the tube.

http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheett ... 687b46ee54
-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

Awesome job Dr. k don't worry we have titanium inside the engine bay on some of our aircraft that reaches high temps and "flame anodizes". What lathe do you have? Looks a lot like my Jet
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

Again awesome
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

I bet if I build my wife an 22LR AR she would be tinkled pink with a can anodized in that fashion. You could have also done about four mag dumps to get a similar result.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Can is still going strong.

Dropped this sow last night with 6 shots while she was on the run

Oh, I have a grizzly 0709 lathe. I love it.
Kyle O.