AOW

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: AOW

Post by a_canadian »

Well yeah, obviously! I'd think a nice 6" barrel and 40gr subsonics with about 2 feet of K baffles in front would make for pretty close to 'Hollywood quiet', the holy grail. Just gesture with your walking stick and watch the startled faces as a pop bottle turns to rubble! Of course you'd want to work on your casual aiming before showing off.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

a_canadian wrote:Well yeah, obviously! I'd think a nice 6" barrel and 40gr subsonics with about 2 feet of K baffles in front would make for pretty close to 'Hollywood quiet', the holy grail. Just gesture with your walking stick and watch the startled faces as a pop bottle turns to rubble! Of course you'd want to work on your casual aiming before showing off.
Its funny you talk about aiming a friend suggested using laser aiming modules built into the cane.I never thought the caliber choice would be so complicated.The .22Lr would be fine but lacking in stopping power.The 5.45x39 would be a show stopper while the 45 long colt would be very versatile as a .410 shot shell will fit in a long chamber.How about a suppressed 5.7x28 and a 45 long colt in the handle.It would have more punch and the choice of super sonic and sub.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Capt. Link. wrote:
a_canadian wrote:Well yeah, obviously! I'd think a nice 6" barrel and 40gr subsonics with about 2 feet of K baffles in front would make for pretty close to 'Hollywood quiet', the holy grail. Just gesture with your walking stick and watch the startled faces as a pop bottle turns to rubble! Of course you'd want to work on your casual aiming before showing off.
Its funny you talk about aiming a friend suggested using laser aiming modules built into the cane.I never thought the caliber choice would be so complicated.The .22Lr would be fine but lacking in stopping power.The 5.45x39 would be a show stopper while the 45 long colt would be very versatile as a .410 shot shell will fit in a long chamber.How about a suppressed 5.7x28 and a 45 long colt in the handle.It would have more punch and the choice of super sonic and sub.
Load the 5.7 with 75 grains projectile, and you will be golden…

Gunny
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Has the cane begun it's life yet? Looking forward to this.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

fastfire wrote:Has the cane begun it's life yet? Looking forward to this.
Some of the materials have been delayed for a new tool.I have figured out the required mechanism for the rifle/pistol and the L.A.M. system.We just got a surface grinder that will allow the trigger group to be made and cam surfaces to be ground.I'm proud of the design as it should allow condition #1 carry.The suppressor is a very technical build as it needs to be very thin while not being detectible.I may use the croissant coaxial design w/ titanium & stainless foil.The mixture of exotic metals necessary to make this a project a reality is very high and costly as weight is a major consideration.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At this point all the materials for the suppressor are needed plus a 1-7 twist .224 barrel and L.A.M. modules.Plus I may need the barrel and chamber chrome lined and don't know a company off hand.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Keen to see what comes of this when you're ready to share! For what it's worth, I recently used a rather sloppily milled monocore with a 5/8" OD (3/4" aluminum tubing with a hair over 5/8" ID) and 6" long for a .22" PCP carbine. Wanted to try making a barrel shroud for an 18" barrel to a total length of 24" without it looking like a suppressor. I think it worked out well. Just looks like a slightly fat barrel. Put three 1/8" ports up near the front to vent into the majority of the full-barrel shroud and vented the muzzle centering plug. Anyway, weight is very low with about 80% of the aluminum rod mass milled and drilled away and the noise suppression is startlingly successful. Of course it's no firearm in terms of coping with high pressures and gas volume, but it went from a bit painful on the ears to being one of the quietest airguns I have. Nothing wrong with going slim, it seems, provided there's minimum bore metal in the baffle system and lots of places for pressure to vent. Best of luck with this. I'm sure it'll be impressive!
Last edited by a_canadian on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dark2023
Silent Operator

Post by dark2023 »

2 ideas

Leave the end of the cane, the bottom portion hollow for at least a good 5 inches or so, you could easily put a small rubber plug in there so that it looks normal from all angels, but also if the barrel had a threaded protrusion inside a hollow area you could fit a suppressor up in there and attach it. The idea would be to have only maybe a half inch of the suppressor showing once attached.

Also, I would suggest getting an SOT to make it because they can manufacture for free and then transfer for free and then transfer it to you for $5.
A gun is meant to protect your life, not your wallet. Things can be replaced, people cant.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I'm leaning towards the 5.7 for both calibers so aluminum has not been rejected but with the high amount of labor anticipated titanium is a more likely candidate for permanence.I would hate to pay the labor bill as the number of components that are ground to fit plus heat treated would run into several thousand.dark2023 I have a sot at hand so transfer is simple and secure plus I would not intrust the work to anyone but myself.The suppressor may be detachable for maintenance reasons but would be part of the cane body.The ability to go from walking down the street to defensive mode must be instant.I use a cane every day of my life so most would not notice any difference.The real trick is to hand it to someone without detection.
Kuraki
Silent Operator

Post by Kuraki »

"Hurry" cane tripod style cane, 3 short barrels of 12 gauge :shock: Then you could hide a sword in the long shaft :lol:
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Not wanting to be too much of a bother but... just remembered this thread from a couple of months ago and wondered yet again if progress is made on materials gathering and starting the work. An as-you-go sort of photo essay would be so cool. The recent brief thread on the tiny pen gun was nice. A two-shot cane gun is bound to be twice the fun at least.